SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to chase an issue with my 2001 9-5 Aero and have opened the WIS to figure it out. After reading teh background on the error codes it says "click on the tab to start the fault diagnosis procedure" but if I click on that tab nothing happens.

Is my WIS mis-installed or is there something that I need to do to enable this feature?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,160 Posts
Which error code? And have you tried other error codes, maybe for different modules/sections?

Some of the troubleshooting procedures used to use IsoView, but I randomly clicked some error codes in various systems and didn't appear to launch it. A number of pictures seemed to be missing, not sure if any were significant though.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Reselecting/reloading a page that doesn't show images works every time for me. I've a few guesses but no real idea why. WIS also acts differently on images if I let it use the Orio CGM image software (ActiveCGM) instead of the built-in software.

The diagnostic tab that runs IsoView works fine for me on Windows 7 and XP (both 32 bit), but did not work as well on Windows 10 64 bit. Since IsoView is a 32 bit app, it may be that you have to go to the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\ITEDO Software\IsoView 3. Right click on the IsoEngine app and select Troubleshoot Compatibility. Let the system pick the best settings and save them. That took care of missing images, etc.

If you can't find the app, that could be the problem. Try removing and reinstalling WIS.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Post DTC. I will check if WIS 2 WEB works.
P0300
P0442

Others: It's not that the images aren't loading, it's just that when I click on that "heartbeat" like icon nothing happens. If I scroll through the description the images work just fine.

Oh, for the record I'm running Windows 7 in a virtual machine on a Mac

·
Registered
453 Posts
Which version of Windows 7? 64 bit?

The second paragraph in my reply above addresses your issue if it is 64 bit. Running in a VM won't matter unless you also need WIS to talk to Tech II. I run Win 10/64 in a VM under Linux and WIS works fine since I did what I described.

1) Check to see that the IsoView app has installed
2) Set compatibility mode for IsoView app if it exists

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which version of Windows 7? 64 bit?

The second paragraph in my reply above addresses your issue if it is 64 bit. Running in a VM won't matter unless you also need WIS to talk to Tech II. I run Win 10/64 in a VM under Linux and WIS works fine since I did what I described.

1) Check to see that the IsoView app has installed
2) Set compatibility mode for IsoView app if it exists
32-bit windows 7, V 6.1 build 7601

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so I re-downloaded and re-installed the WIS and now the diagnostic section works but no images.

Still 32-bit Windows 7

isoView is not present in this install. I did the "Captain Frank" images reference elsewhere in this forum

·
Registered
453 Posts
IsoView is not used for normal images in WIS. What happens the second time you load the same page after getting no images the first time you load it?

When I first used the built-in WIS image viewer on 32 bit Windows 7, it did not load images on a given page the first time only. If I reloaded the same page, images worked in WIS for the rest of the session, and on all subsequent pages. If I attempted to select another image on that first page w/o reloading, I got something resembling a browser error.

To fix this problem, I went to C:\Program Files\Wis\bin. I selected the Wis app, then right clicked on it, selected the Compatibility tab, and set compatibility settings to Windows XP SP3. That solved image loading issue for me.

·
Registered
17,405 Posts
okcrum: Hmmm.... you seem to have a handle on this, perhaps you can help with my issue:
  • 32 bit Windows 7
  • WIS running in XP3 Compatibility Mode
  • ISOVIEW installed and running in XP3 Compatibility Mode
When I look at fault diagnosis procedures, I am often missing some of the graphics. Example: This one can be found by selecting the 9400 or 9600 models, searching for a P0300 > 4cyl Trionic 7 and choosing Fault Diagnosis. Any ideas on additional things to try?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I tried your scenarios and a few others on Win7/32 and Win10/64, on both the WIS linked from this forum and an older WIS version I have. I get the same results you do. Looking at the Windows event logs, there's nothing unusual going on. I also tried using the ActiveCGM, TIFF viewer, and ISOView from TIS2Web instead of the built in WIS image viewers and that didn't change anything. The little X's in place of the pics indicate File Not Found error 2.

That leads me to believe some or all of the diagnostic pics are in separate archives from the regular pics, and they are not included with the WIS versions I've tried. :cautious:

A few notes:

1) The older version of the WIS I have was also missing a number of the regular pics. That's because one of the pic archives was corrupted. The WIS downloadable from here is solid in that respect.

2) In one case of viewing images I was getting the message "ISOView evaluation copy has expired after 90 days" so I removed that version and installed an updated one.

3) You might see other errors like "Can't start ISOView server, error -16" or similar, but there are solutions on the internet if you search for the error message text.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Upon some further digging, it looks like the diagnostic files are actually installed in the WIS, in a directory called FaultFinder under each car model directory. The JPEG images like the little Tech2 above seem to load fine. Neither ISOView 3 nor ISOView 7 will open the CGM files, however. Update to follow once I figure this out better.

FWIW, the data files in the WIS seem to be one of only five basic types: plain text, HTML, XML, CGM, or JPEG.

·
Registered
17,405 Posts
Thanks... let me know if you figure anything out. Would converting those images to another format (jpeg) help? Or is the WIS page like a web page that's referencing specific file names?

·
Registered
453 Posts
ISOView already reads all the regular CGM pics fine, so I don't think they need to be converted. You'd lose the ability to zoom and preserve resolution by converting the CGM to JPEG, which would be bad on stuff like wiring diagrams. It might be that some file or URL prefix hardwired into the WIS binary needs to change, or there's some proprietary trick done to the FaultFinder CGMs just to mess with us, or something completely different I haven't found yet.

The good thing so far is the problem is the same on both Windows 7 and 10, both 32 and 64 bit. So a fix for one should fix all.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Fault trace CGMs are fine, so no need to change anything there.
File locations are OK - if they weren't the pics wouldn't open the second time they're accessed - see below

BobSaabit, what happens if you close the first fault trace window you get in your P0300 examples, with the little X at the bottom left, and then reopen it? Do this by clicking the middle tab for browser mode, then the right tab again for fault trace mode. It works the second time for me on all platforms. Pics fail again if I proceed to a later fault trace window and then back up to the first one, but they come back again if I reload the fault trace as before. It's not a total workaround, because you still lose graphics on later fault trace windows, but it's a clue, and it rules some things out.

EDIT: I'm going to put up an XP VM to see if this works there, then hit the rack. More tomorrow, er, later today...

·
Registered
17,405 Posts
Going to run your tests in a little bit and post the results. Will add them to this response.

It there any way to determine what the illustration name is of the missing photos? I'd settle for being able to dig them out of the directories. Sometimes they are key to understanding a diagnostic.

EDIT: Ignore the above... I think your work around answers that problem.

If I follow the scenario you mapped out, the pics load almost every time. If you change fault codes there seem to be some oddities, but closing the fault-trace, then research or reopen seems to correct things. It was a little fluky... I'd have to push it around to see if there's a specific routine, but it's good enough for me now.

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts