41 - 60 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Perhaps, but my issue is still on:

I have error window when WIS tries to install

It saids:
Workshop Information System
An error occurred while applying security settings. Users is not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click "Retry" or "Cancel" to end the install.

And below are Retry and Cancel boxes.

Yes, I AM poor with softwares, so please help.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Perhaps, but my issue is still on:

I have error window when WIS tries to install

It saids:
Workshop Information System
An error occurred while applying security settings. Users is not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click "Retry" or "Cancel" to end the install.

And below are Retry and Cancel boxes.

Yes, I AM poor with softwares, so please help.
OK will try and help

Please list your PC specification and Operating system
How you are connecting to the internet
Have you downloaded both the EPC and WIS packages to your desktop?

Googling your problem and is likely due to the fact you are using an OS Finnish language version as the error
message is saying the group "users" does not exist.

Found this

The most common reason for not having a group called Users is because you are using a non-English language version (as the system can't find the group named "Users"). You will need to create a new group and name it “Users”. Instruction follows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/user-groups-in-windows

So create "users" and then try the install

·
Registered
93 Posts
OK will try and help

Please list your PC specification and Operating system
How you are connecting to the internet
Have you downloaded both the EPC and WIS packages to your desktop?

Googling your problem and is likely due to the fact you are using an OS Finnish language version as the error
message is saying the group "users" does not exist.

Found this

The most common reason for not having a group called Users is because you are using a non-English language version (as the system can't find the group named "Users"). You will need to create a new group and name it “Users”. Instruction follows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/user-groups-in-windows

So create "users" and then try the install
Bloody 'ell CJ!!! Well spotted.

I`ve been trying to think why some people don't seem to have a 'Users' group on their machines. I`d concluded that their machines must have a really messed up install of Windows but this makes perfect sense.

Mimmi, give this a try:-

Press Start and type lusrmgr.msc
When that loads, right click on 'Groups' on the lefthand side of the window and select 'New Group'.
Call the new group 'Users' (without the quotes) and Add your user as a member.

Then try installing the WIS again.

Frank.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
How I can check my PC specification?
This is Lenovo laptop with W10 home signature edition and Finnish version.
Internet connection is home WLAN (wireless between laptop and cable modem).
I hope that I have packages on my computer, but I am not 100% sure.
I do not know how I create users group and where.

As you see, I am really stupid with these.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How I can check my PC specification?
This is Lenovo laptop with W10 home signature edition and Finnish version.
Internet connection is home WLAN (wireless between laptop and cable modem).
I hope that I have packages on my computer, but I am not 100% sure.
I do not know how I create users group and where.

As you see, I am really stupid with these.
Don't worry, try to follow my instructions in my last post.

We'll get this installed on your computer one way or another!!!

Frank.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Now I have another error: lusmgr
Local Users and Groups, this extension may not be used with this version of Windows. You can manage this computer's user accounts using the User Accounts Control Panel tool.
(hope that translation is understandable).

As I said this is so difficult to me.
BTW: I installed today NVR (network video record) system to client, but NVR has working sw and P&P cameras.;oops:

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
A couple notes for people doing this:

I did this on Firefox and installed the Mega download add-on. However, it doesn't activate after installation. Restart your browser / activate it in tools/add-ons.

Also, my download failed multiple times with an "Out of memory" error. That didn't make sense as I had plenty of physical and virtual memory available even for the multi-GB file. It turned out to be something to do with my virus checker (Avast). I'm guessing that it was trying to check the whole file in core but I'm not really sure. But, if you get similar download issues, try suspending your virus checker for an hour or so while you download the WIS.

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
Cap'n Frank:

I removed my old WIS, then installed the new. I got a write error on a registry key at the point where it said "7 seconds left". I re-ran it "as administrator" (I have all priv's anyway, I'm an admin) and I got six similar errors. I clicked ignore for each one. Those were on a fairly fresh boot although I did not restart after removing the old WIS.

I'm thinking of uninstalling, rebooting, and installing again... but do you have any thoughts on the errors? Machine is Vista Home Premium SP2.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cap'n Frank:

I removed my old WIS, then installed the new. I got a write error on a registry key at the point where it said "7 seconds left". I re-ran it "as administrator" (I have all priv's anyway, I'm an admin) and I got six similar errors. I clicked ignore for each one. Those were on a fairly fresh boot although I did not restart after removing the old WIS.

I'm thinking of uninstalling, rebooting, and installing again... but do you have any thoughts on the errors? Machine is Vista Home Premium SP2.
I don't suppose you made a note of the errors did you?

There were some registry errors in a much earlier build but as far as I`m aware they were all resolved in the latest.

Frank.

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
I don't suppose you made a note of the errors did you?

There were some registry errors in a much earlier build but as far as I`m aware they were all resolved in the latest.

Frank.
I did grab screen captures since you can't copy/paste from those dialogs, but I inadvertently dumped them. I'll redo it with the fresh boot and if I get them again, post the errors.

FWIW, it seems to be working OK.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Today my friend added users to my pc. When user is selected he tried to install WIS. WIS installed but ONLY swedish and english. How I can add finnish with it?

Second question: how can I run pc with myself and users or is it possible at all?
If not do I have to shut computer and open it again with user?

EDIT: EPC is trying to install, but warning box tells that I tried to install possibly hazardous and tells: do you want to continue, BUT box has NO continue, only exit button.

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
Cap'n Frank:

Here's a snapshot of the errors I got in the install in order of occurance. Before this I removed the old WIS, rebooted, then installed. I didn't go hunting for directories in between or do any manual registry cleaning to remove left over entries.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
I am very happy being able to use WIS and EPC when working on my car, and I'm pointing other people to this great resource.

Couple of questions (well, three) to let me get the word out:

1. We should always send people to the first post in this thread, with the "Mega" links--that always has the latest/best version, correct?
  2. Is the Win10 version runnable on Win 7/8? (Not that I think anyone who had 8 hasn't "upgraded" to 10 by now. :p)
  3. Mac users? I don't have a Mac, and Mac users often aren't all that technical, so I don't know what to tell them.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I am very happy being able to use WIS and EPC when working on my car, and I'm pointing other people to this great resource.

Couple of questions (well, three) to let me get the word out:

1. We should always send people to the first post in this thread, with the "Mega" links--that always has the latest/best version, correct?
  2. Is the Win10 version runnable on Win 7/8? (Not that I think anyone who had 8 hasn't "upgraded" to 10 by now. :p)
  3. Mac users? I don't have a Mac, and Mac users often aren't all that technical, so I don't know what to tell them.
Please Note: As stated in the first post!

Both have been tested in 32/64bit Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 and yes there are a few bugs which I have noticed but more than likely they were always there anyway!

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
I loaded it on both 64-bit Win7 and Win10 with no problems.I didn't do the free Win7 to Win10 upgrade because you don't get a MS serial number to reload it with... Ron
No need for serial numbers even for clean installs anymore, official licenses get tied to the computer and get automatically registered for future installs. Also MS started allowing use of 7/8 keys for first time fresh installs of 10.

41 - 60 of 250 Posts