SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
This new WIS has begun to manifest some interesting issues.

Two days ago I got this when attempting to open it, many, many times:

I rebooted and the issue apparently resolved.

This morning, when I tried to open it, I got the "Please wait while Windows configures Workshop Information System" so the program appears to be reinstalling itself.

So, I am uninstalling this and going back to the cactuz version, which appears to be much more stable. It does not have NG 900, but at least I don't have to reboot to use it, or go through the too long re-installation process if rebooting does not work.
That's perhaps a file permission problem. The WIS databases (if you can call them that) are basically small websites held inside ZIP files.

When you try to look at an article (for arguments sake, lets say "9-5, 2002, Basic Engine, Engine block", the relevant ZIP is extracted to C:\Program files\WIS\Work. The html file is then loaded along with any images.

This doesn't work quite like this on Windows Vista and up (don't forget this program was written for XP 32 bit NOT Windows 10 x64). Microsoft tightened the security of the file system to stop programs writing to each others Program files folders. What happens now is that these files are redirected to a Virtual Store folder in your user area.

For whatever reason, either the ZIP wasn't extracted or your computer then looked in the wrong place for them (ie extracted to the Virtual Store but then looked in the real Program Files folder).

I did play with the idea of having the installer modify everyones file permissions in the Program Files (x86)/wis folder but decided against it in the end.

As for why the Aniversary Update messes up the installation, I have no idea why. That said however, the Aniversary update currently being rolled out by Microsoft is practically another OS install so I`m not surprised that some stuff gets messed up.

If I ever get a copy of the 9-2X WIS, I`ll sit down and re-do the entire installation. I`m fairly sure that I can turn off the MSI repair feature as the chances are that the installation is fine, it's just that the MSI installer got it's knickers in a twist and decided to re-install the program.

I have since noticed that the program needs to install for EVERY user on the computer, this is probably due to the ActiveX extensions for the .CGM viewer and the Toledo ISO view program. This also might be the issue if people disable the ActiveX controls (WebCGM) or run Registry Cleaners (don't get me started on those things!)

Frank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anybody tired opening this since the Windows 10 anniversary update? On mine it starts to open, says getting required files, then a windows security thing pops up but the only option is cancel.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Anybody tired opening this since the Windows 10 anniversary update? On mine it starts to open, says getting required files, then a windows security thing pops up but the only option is cancel.
Yes indeed...screwed up both EPC and WIS.
Solution for me was to do a full uninstall reboot and the reinstall..both working fine since.

Reckon the update changed some file permissions....again.

Check your firewall is still running as the latest update destroyed that too!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes indeed...screwed up both EPC and WIS.
Solution for me was to do a full uninstall reboot and the reinstall..both working fine since.

Reckon the update changed some file permissions....again.

Check your firewall is still running as the latest update destroyed that too!
Uninstall was not necessary for me. Just had to reinstall, wait the few minutes, and it's been fine. Will check firewall though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I`m only aware of the anniversary update affecting it, I haven't seen it affected by any of the usual cumulative updates.

As an aside, I think I`ve since deleted the original project files I used to create the install! To fix anything, I`ll need to start again from sratch :cry:

On the plus side, if I ever do, I learnt some stuff creating the last one so it'll probably be better next time...

Frank.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just to make a liar out of me.....

My machine installed Cumulative update KB3194496 this morning. The WIS is fine but the EPC want to re-install.

A quick test pretty much confirms my suspitions, it's the MSI system thinking that something has changed and therefore the program must be re-installed.

Next time this happens, could you cancel the re-install, then run the program directly from the Program directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\WIS" or "C:\EPC" and let me know if it runs.

My EPC now runs fine from the EXE directly but wants to re-install if run from the MSI shortcut.

As a temporary work around, you can create your own shortcut directly from the programs directory, this will bypass the MSI check subsystem.

When I redo the package, I`ll investigate turning off the auto repair stuff, I`m fairly sure I`ve seen it before somewhere.....

Frank.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just been looking through my Event Logs.

It looks my package isn't as clean as I thought it was....

It appears (at least from the EPC point of view) that the item being removed is the Intel Indeo 5 codec! That's ancient and was probably included by accident as the original install machine was a Windows XP system.

It looks like various Windows updates are removing it.

Next time, I`ll make sure it's not included as I`d be very surprised if it's even needed.. do the EPC & WIS even have videos????

Frank.

·
Registered
210 Posts
WIS does have various planetary gear animations... Not really a video but might shed a bit of light.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
I have error window when WIS tries to install

It saids:
Workshop Information System
An error occurred while applying security settings. Users is not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click "Retry" or "Cancel" to end the install.

And below are Retry and Cancel boxes.

How I proceed?
Please make it simple for stupid, because the easiest way to distinguish screen from keyboard is an axe.
I use W10 (64bit)

EPC installed perfectly.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
WIS

Models supported Year
900 1994-98
9-3 (9400) 1998-03
9-3 (9440) 2003-12
9-5 (9600) 1998-10
9-5 (9650) 2010-11
9-4X 2011

WIS: https://mega.nz/#!ZEA0gZ5I!HdJ9HtoE-...ONQygO_GJi3Cq8

2.85GB
EPC installed fine a while back.

Tried WIS, got about 35% of the way through, and then "Free quota exceeded. Wait 2h to continue for free". :nono;

As I'm at the library using wi-fi, and plan to go home, this isn't too great. I'm also not sure how it calculates downloads per IP address. I wonder if the City of Toronto has one IP address, or each library has a different address. (I could go to another library....)

Mega does tell me I can get 50 gb free, but I suspect I'm paying for something if I do create the account. The terms and conditions are....lengthy.

Phooey, wanted to install and investigate my xenon headlight warning. Guess I'll wing it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
EPC installed fine a while back.

Tried WIS, got about 35% of the way through, and then "Free quota exceeded. Wait 2h to continue for free". :nono;

As I'm at the library using wi-fi, and plan to go home, this isn't too great. I'm also not sure how it calculates downloads per IP address. I wonder if the City of Toronto has one IP address, or each library has a different address. (I could go to another library....)

Mega does tell me I can get 50 gb free, but I suspect I'm paying for something if I do create the account. The terms and conditions are....lengthy.

Phooey, wanted to install and investigate my xenon headlight warning. Guess I'll wing it.
Yeah, sounds like MEGA doesn't want you to download anymore! It might be my limit though.... maybe too many people are downloading the WIS and EPC...

Frank.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Yeah, sounds like MEGA doesn't want you to download anymore! It might be my limit though.... maybe too many people are downloading the WIS and EPC...
The quota is for the IP address requesting the data, not for the WIS itself. I have gone to a different branch with a different internet connection and it's downloading (for now). We'll see!

So, it's really only an issue if you're using some wi-fi service where other people are also accessing mega.nz through the same IP.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
The quota is for the IP address requesting the data, not for the WIS itself. I have gone to a different branch with a different internet connection and it's downloading (for now). We'll see!

So, it's really only an issue if you're using some wi-fi service where other people are also accessing mega.nz through the same IP.
Downloaded, it's configuring now.

Kinda dumb, I had two downloads going at the same time! ;oops: Was wondering why task manager said I was getting twice the kb/sec that Mega was telling me....each was pulling half the bandwidth.

Hopefully the install can run without any further internet access, as the library is closing.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Installed, both WIS and EPC are working fine on my cranky Leonovo with Windows 10 including the recent big update. That big update did munge at least one existing application, so it's not surprising that the WIS and EPC may need fixing or reinstallation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Error when try to install WIS

I have error window when WIS tries to install

It saids:
Workshop Information System
An error occurred while applying security settings. Users is not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click "Retry" or "Cancel" to end the install.

And below are Retry and Cancel boxes.
Same for me!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Same for me!
I have just installed both packages on an older 2nd PC which has all the W10 updates as of today and both installed without any issues.
It was an old 1366 system with 12mb Ram and i7-920 CPU 500GB Hard drive.

I would suggest you download the packages to your desktop directly through your browser and then right clicking "run as administrator" as you may not have the user permission to install packages when your system was originally setup.

It can take sometime for the installs to complete ...as the installs finish you should see the final message "deleting extracted files" flash up.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
I would suggest you download the packages to your desktop directly through your browser and then right clicking "run as administrator" as you may not have the user permission to install packages when your system was originally setup.
I had no issues installing or running WIS and EPC on W10. Both installation and use is done as "User", which has admin privileges. Right at the start, I believe I was asked "do you want to allow the installer to make changes on the disk" and I replied "yes".

·
Registered
93 Posts
IF I get the time, I`ll have a go at re-creating the installation packages for both. there were a few things I`d learnt along the way so I`ll try things a little differently this time.

If anyone has a copy of the 9-2X WIS please get in touch.

Frank.

21 - 40 of 250 Posts