SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought it would be easy untill some fellow told me it would actually be hard!
I tried several wirings already, (the small and large red wire were initially connected, and only the speakers have an iso) so itried the big red to the yellow, and the small red from the car to the iso red. but nothing is working.
here is a photo of the mess, maybe someone has an idea? :)
thanks!!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Not much to go on (Kenwood model, year of car, sound system level, etc) but here are the basics:

Saab small red (thru the ignition switch) to KW red

Saab large red (hot from battery) to KW yellow

NOTE: Also the Saab large red to provide main power the external amp under the seat or behind the console- if installed

Saab black (ground) to KW black

Saab brown/white (dimmer controlled back lighting) not used in most aftermarket head units - snip and tape it off.

Saab green (power antenna) to KW blue/white

NOTE: The amp will not power up and consequently you'll get no sound without a control signal (this is in addition to the main power supply mentioned above).

Switching power for the amp is Saabs yellow wire - you'll find that is bundled in with the speaker group. I find it convienient to use the KW blue/white that powers the antenna to also boot the amp. Only drawback is that the attena does not retract when the head unit is in CD or MP3 mode.

If you have no amp other than the KW internal things get a bit involved - write back for more help.

But bottom line, if there is an amp, be aware that the speaker wires coming out of the dash do not go straight to the speakers . They are still most likely running through the amp and if it is not powered up you'll get no sound.

Oh yeah, by the way, I used the schematic/wiring instructions for a KW KDC-352U for reference. Your unit might differ, but I doubt it - usually manufacturers keep the wiring the same across all their models.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply! it’s a Kenwood KDC-3051R and a 1993 9000.
as far as i know there is no amplifier, but hm, how can i tell?
i know that the large red wire and large black wire are passing directly under the steering unit - i traced as far as the hood release where it disappears.

Ive wired it up like you said untill the point of the Saab green, it looks like those are still going into some old style ISO head with some black wire. (in the picture just to the left of the red wires, under some strange brown and black wire that i have no idea what they are for. (maybe amp related?)

so things might be a bit involved :) how can i find out if there is an amp hidden somewhere? all the wires except the battery ones are coming out of a black 'hose' sorta from the left, so cant really see where it goes from there.

thanks again!!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
If there is an amp it will be either behind the dash or under the RH seat.

As a test to verify radio function Try running a pair directly to one of the speakers. Cut a pair (doesn't matter which) and jump it to a rear deck speaker.

You know, I can't find my schematics for the 95 and down 9000's but I think I recently posted them. Try a search in this forum using clarion (or just scroll back through my posts).

Here, found one from a 94 9000. Judging by the text I'd assume it's for "other than US markets". It's more specific to your situation - disregard the telephone title - it's mostly the audio system

http://img217.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=06262_62383292_122_1199lo.JPG

·
Registered
80 Posts
but nothing is working.
here is a photo of the mess, maybe someone has an idea? :)
A) that scotch tap you have arrows highlighting is the bane of automotive stereo installations. There are a lot better ways to get power than that type of connector, but you'll be fine for awhile.

B) the stock stereo is fairly brilliant if you have low expectations or if it's 1990; otherwise not only is it mediocre, you have to completely gut the current stereo.

Here's why:
The HK or Clarion amp from the stock system uses a 9-pin DIN plug to establish the connection between the amp and the head unit.

Saab stereo -aaaaaa- stock amp -bbbbb- speakers

what you need to do:

new stereo -xxxxxx- new amp -yyyyyy- speakers

-or-

new stereo -yyyyyyy- speakers

So, if you want to use a stereo made since Clinton was in office, you won't find one that accepts the DIN plug. So that means you can't access the amplifier and you can't send a signal to the speakers.

Why can't you use the existing speaker wires? Well, back when audiophiles were using DIN plugs in vehicle applications, they liked to do cool guy engineering stuff, like using a shared ground wire.

SOOO, you need to either get a new amplifier or just run speaker wire from the head unit to all the speakers. Yes, this is as cumbersome as it sounds.

And you thought you'd just wire up a head unit and start listening to music? Silly rabbit ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i got it going somehow!
hooked up the kenwood red and black to that funky electrical connector you see in the first picture, and hooked the kenwood yellow to the spliced red (one of which was to battery). left the battery ground out of the picture, and well it just works. so ill leave it.

guess it was partly thanks to the person that 'messed it up' installing the iso connector. only weird thing is the as yet not defined sporadic right-front speaker no playing.

anyway, heres a pic of the job in the end :D

Thanks all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts