SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had a p1658 for some time on my 2000 Saab base model 9-3.

Talked to some local Saab mechanics who told me it was either the Vacuum control valve OR the ECU was a bust and giving out a faulty code...

Because everyone who took a look at it couldn't find any failure in the wiring.
I had faith in the Vacuum control valve being faulty, but when I went to replace it I found some damage near the end of the plug (I included pics... hopefully I did it right).

Was wondering what I can do to fix it/where I could purchase a replacement wire. I'm having a difficult time finding the darn part online!

Any help is appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Although I believe this is a 9-5 image, its pretty much the same for the 9-3 (the part I'm looking at is labeled '605'). Its located on the right side of the firewall.

I do believe the copper itself is damaged.

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
1. You could cut the wires (note orientation/color), pull the connector out and try to replace the pins or reuse the ones that are in there.

2. You could cut the wires. Go to the junkyard and cut one off a car there leaving lots of wire on the connector side. Then you could solder/shrink wrap the wires to your car

3. You could bypass that valve, but I think you'd still need to fix the electrical part (or simulate it) to satisfy the ECU: http://trolltuner.com/?p=219

·
Registered
240 Posts
1. You could cut the wires (note orientation/color), pull the connector out and try to replace the pins or reuse the ones that are in there.

2. You could cut the wires. Go to the junkyard and cut one off a car there leaving lots of wire on the connector side. Then you could solder/shrink wrap the wires to your car

3. You could bypass that valve, but I think you'd still need to fix the electrical part (or simulate it) to satisfy the ECU: http://trolltuner.com/?p=219

damn someone beet me to it ! this is the answer i choose!

I hereby professionally endorse (as an automotive repair person) that 1 and 2 are the "proper" fixes and that 3 is a great alternative but may be more hassle than its worth . personally i would go to said junkyard and get said connector. splice band, heat shrink, have drink

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, did option 2 with the wrap, and to no avail. Not only do I still have the p1658 (even with a new Vaccume control valve), but I've also picked up a p0140 for the 02 sensor (even when resetting the original code after doing the work on it, of course). Could this be a result of a faulty ECU? Is that route worth investigating further?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, wondering if there are any new thoughts about the problem. Haven't had a chance to check if the 02 code is still around, but the light is definitely still on. Looking for some recommendations for this weird problem - Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts