SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I now have far too many silly boxes that need plugging into the cigarette lighter (Garmin GPS satnav, mobile phone, and now GPSInfoRad speed camera locator), so I want to wire some of them in permanently.

Most sensible solution seems to be to wire in parallel with the cigarette lighter, but Haynes seems to think the whole dash needs to come apart :eek:.

Wiring diagrams are interesting - looks quite simple in Haynes and it seems the ashtray light is on the same fuse (ie not the interior lighting circuit) which is dead easy to get to. However, in Bentley it looks as if it's all linked in with the heated rear window!

So, how is it wired exactly, and what's the best way to approach the extra feed? For reference, the car is a 91MY T16S.

(Interestingly the Inforad takes a 5v feed so I am cannibalising a phone charger - one feed goes to the dash for the Inforad, another to the storage bin for the phone. The phone charger came with a 2A fuse to hopefully it's rated high enough to power both. The Garmin is a different matter as it's in the middle of the dash and has a proprietary socket presenting me with 2 problems - 1. paying out loads for a cable I'm going to hack up, and 2. getting it behind the dash without drilling / taking the dash out. So I think I will still use the cig lighter for this one...

Thoughts / help??

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
are you sure your SatNav can keep up with current location - does it not get left behind when on full boost:lol: :lol:

G

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:lol: does take a moment to catch up (it works your speed out as time taken between 2 points), so when I have touched on some...ahem...interesting speeds, it has recorded them being 5-10 mph slower. If you get there, hold it for a few secs, then anchor up, it does a better job ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
It seems to me the best way to do this would be to run new feed(s) for your devices... I don't know about your car, but mine has 'spare' fuse slots that could be used for whatever purpose you need; alternatively, you could tap on the +V and use an inline fuse. Or you could get one of those ligther extensions that allow you to connect two or three devices with the adaptors :cheesy: (google tells me you can buy one here http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/3749.htm) I've seen them without the hinge, and with four heads... I think it was at Radio Shack.

As far as a five volt requirement, you could use a 7805 regulator, 12V to input, five volts out of output, ground to, well, ground, a couple of caps to avoid ripple and interference, although it will work without them.

This is a typical circuit:

Disregard the 150 mA input, that was based on the transformer used at the time. If you draw more than 250 mA, put a heatsink on the IC. This may make your life easier than canibalizing something. The whole assembly can be mounted on perfoboard and will fit in the smallest of RS blue project cases, which in turn can be fixed almost anywhere with doublesided tape.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marcos, thanks for the advice - I did think about going down the electronics route but it's a bit advanced for me even though my dad tried to make me do it!

As far as using a spare fuse slot, agreed that would be a nice way to do it, but would need to get behind dash to feed cable through bulkhead, so it's just as difficult. I want to avoid taking the dash off if possible...

Currently plan is still to put converter in parallel with *** lighter if I can get to it. Alternative would be taking a feed from the switched 12v on the radio...

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wonder why something obviously intended for automotive use (GPSInfoRad speed camera locator) would run from 5 Volts instead of 12? :roll:

·
Registered
433 Posts
*Sigh* The sad thing is, you're probably right.

Moving right along, do you need both the Garmin and the GPSInfoRad? Does the latter not do regular GPS things like tell you where you are, what time it is, where you've been, how fast, where to go, phase of the Moon, etc?

Do they agree on where you are, and the time?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, the Garmin is a portable (& water resistant!) sat nav device, the inforad a very simple gps receiver that beeps when within a certain radius of a load of waypoints (speed cameras) - in fact the time when I need it most is on unfamiliar roads when I will be likely using the Garmin as well!

·
Registered
239 Posts
fliptopbin said:
Marcos, thanks for the advice - I did think about going down the electronics route but it's a bit advanced for me even though my dad tried to make me do it!
Nah, this is an easy one and I'm sure you can do it in under one hour.

fliptopbin said:
As far as using a spare fuse slot, agreed that would be a nice way to do it, but would need to get behind dash to feed cable through bulkhead, so it's just as difficult. I want to avoid taking the dash off if possible...
Well, you could run it low through the firewall and avoid the dash removal all together, and wire it to the console. You will have to remove the kickboards, but that's no harder than removing the lighter.

fliptopbin said:
Currently plan is still to put converter in parallel with *** lighter if I can get to it. Alternative would be taking a feed from the switched 12v on the radio...
There's an always on 12V at the radio too, if you require continous power or would like to switch it yourself.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts