SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of replacing the alternator bushings and coolant hoses, a couple questions/issues came up:

1. On the oil filter housing, there is an electrical connection (temp/pressure sending sensor?). Only myself and one mechanic I trust have worked on the vehicle.

- There was a blue wire that has been cut but no evidence of the other end in the engine bay. I've always changed my oil and don't ever recall seeing a wire going to the oil filter housing. The oil pressure light functions normally on the dash. Was this the way it was supplied from the factory or am I missing an electrical connection somewhere and for what?

2. Just to the left of the air filter is a small black & white canister connected to a vacuum hose. This came off when removing the alternator and I am having difficulty finding where it came off from.

- Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance,

Attachments

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
There definitely should be a wire on that sensor. That is the low oil pressure light sensor. Sounds like it's time for some detective work. Someone has definitely modified something if the idiot light still works.

That small canister could be a check valve but it looks like a delay valve. There is no application for it on a c900. Some 9000s used it on vacuum advance for the distributor, but that wouldn't apply to your car either. Where does the other end go?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There definitely should be a wire on that sensor. That is the low oil pressure light sensor. Sounds like it's time for some detective work. Someone has definitely modified something if the idiot light still works.

That small canister could be a check valve but it looks like a delay valve. There is no application for it on a c900. Some 9000s used it on vacuum advance for the distributor, but that wouldn't apply to your car either. Where does the other end go?

The vacuum line came from somewhere by the coolant reservoir/ABS pump. I'll continue to search.

The low pressure sending unit is a mystery. No-one touched the engine besides me the past 10-12 years. The only thing the mechanic did was change belts and convert the system to R134.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Ah, this is a convertible, yeah? It could be the feed to the vacuum canister in the trunk. I think the convertibles may have put that check valve in the engine bay. IIRC it goes to the fitting on the SIDE of the intake manifold, then up to the base of the windshield.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, this is a convertible, yeah? It could be the feed to the vacuum canister in the trunk. I think the convertibles may have put that check valve in the engine bay. IIRC it goes to the fitting on the SIDE of the intake manifold, then up to the base of the windshield.
Perfect. That's where I put it. Thank You

I believe I had pulled that one off and for some reason thought I pulled off a second vacuum line. Apparently not as that was the only location it could have gone after putting everything back together.

I think the humidity was making my mind play tricks on me.....lol. It was not a good day to be in the garage. Tomorrow will be better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solved - Blue wire to Oil Pressure Sensor

Perfect. That's where I put it. Thank You

I believe I had pulled that one off and for some reason thought I pulled off a second vacuum line. Apparently not as that was the only location it could have gone after putting everything back together.

I think the humidity was making my mind play tricks on me.....lol. It was not a good day to be in the garage. Tomorrow will be better.
Did a little investigating and found the other part of the blue wire in the black insulator casing going back to the firewall. Just need to strip the two ends, solder, and cover in electrical tape.

Easy fix!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, so the other end was randomly grounding? How funny!
Your post made me double-check the dash lights and the low pressure indicator light was NOT working. I put a jumper wire between the broken wire and sensor temporarily and all is working as intended.

Thank You for pointing that out. Need that sensor working for me right now. My oil is getting low from the front engine crankshaft seal that needs to be replaced......next on the list ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts