SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 9-3 4dr/hardtop 275K
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers side front wiper slaps the side window molding to an annoying degree. I've read some posts where owners have swapped out shorter 15 inch wiper blades to solve the problem but I like the sweep of a 16 inch blade. I was parked next to an identical vehicle today so I compared the resting location of the wipers. There was a two (2") inch difference in the resting location of the blades on the two vehicles. My wiper blade rests much higher up on the window than the adjacent 9-3. I unscrewed the bolt off that holds the wiper to the shaft in hopes of changing the arm's position on the windshield. The mating surfaces don't allow for infinite adjustments. The two surfaces "drop" together into a set location. So...
Can the whole wiper motor assembly be loosened from below and readjusted? Is this motor assemble easy to reach? I've been down there to change the cabin filter but don't recall.
Its just the driver's side that rests higher on the window. The passenger side rest only a inch from the window's base molding.
Maybe this question should be included in the "afraid to ask" category, but the thumping blade can be an annoyance.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Underdog said:
My drivers side front wiper slaps the side window molding to an annoying degree. This used to be a problem, not a good design; very precise arm location is necessary..I've read some posts where owners have swapped out shorter 15 inch wiper blades to solve the problem but I like the sweep of a 16 inch blade. I was parked next to an identical vehicle today so I compared the resting location of the wipers. There was a two (2") inch difference in the resting location of the blades on the two vehicles. My wiper blade rests much higher up on the window than the adjacent 9-3. I unscrewed the bolt off that holds the wiper to the shaft in hopes of changing the arm's position on the windshield. The mating surfaces don't allow for infinite adjustments. The two surfaces "drop" together into a set location. So... This used to be adjustible....maybe it is Dremel time...
Can the whole wiper motor assembly be loosened from below and readjusted?The access is easy, not so with the adjustment - this seems to be permanent. Is this motor assemble easy to reach? I've been down there to change the cabin filter but don't recall.
Its just the driver's side that rests higher on the window. The passenger side rest only a inch from the window's base molding.
Maybe this question should be included in the "afraid to ask" category, but the thumping blade can be an annoyance. I agree; Rain X is the answer.. [/QUOTE]

Maybe the wiper arm from the motor to the pivots can be altered a little...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I do not remember seeing an adjustment for that, but that does not mean it does not exist. The motor and arm assembly is accessible the same way as the air filter.

Normally you adjust the rest position be removing the arm, and pressing it back on in the rest position. They do seem to creep up, last time I had the wipers off, I noticed they went to a lower rest position after reassembly. Hard to say by how much, probably between 1 and 2 inches.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
When you're changing the rest position, also make sure you have the right size wipers on your car. They should be 21" on both sides, not 15" or 16". When I've had to mess with mine, usually after replacing the cabin filter, I've had to bolt them on where they're practically sitting on the plastic underneath the windshield. Once they run, they seem to stop about 1/2" to 1" above where I put them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts