SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

SIAP, I couldn't find any thread with the same problem.

Recently, something happened and now my passenger wiper blade won't sit flush with the windshield. At the rest position, it hovers 1-2" off the glass. When I turn the wipers on, it still rotates but only touches the windshield for a portion of the intended area. It also stops rotating ~10 degrees short of where it is supposed to.

I took it into a mechanic to have it looked at and they said they were 90% sure I needed a new wiper motor/trans, which they estimated at ~$500. I found a tutorial about replacing the motor, which will save me ~$400 (if it is, in fact, the problem). Does what they're telling me sound correct, and is this a simple enough repair? This is my first car and I have little car repair experience.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Sounds more like an issue of the wiper arm itself not the wiper mechanism if the blade is "hovering over" the glass. Is the pivot point seem solidly attached to car? I have had the spring on wiper arms cause pressure issues but not as bad as you are describing.

Maybe try getting a used wiper arm from a junkyard...

·
Registered
338 Posts
the wiper motor going bad can affect where the wipers stop when you turn them off, mine were stopping pointing straight up and replacing the motor cured this but you describe them not sitting on the screen which i wouldnt think is anything to do with the motor

·
Registered
205 Posts
wiper motor

Do a shearch under winshield wiper motor...not windshield as it should be and you will save your self a lot of money
Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts