SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally gotten around to installing an open air intake on my car using the tutorial on this site, but i was wondering if the cold upstate New York weather will have any adverse effect on my car with it? Could anyone give me some insight? Thanks

·
Registered
719 Posts
You are good to go...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I've finally gotten around to installing an open air intake on my car using the tutorial on this site, but i was wondering if the cold upstate New York weather will have any adverse effect on my car with it? Could anyone give me some insight? Thanks
Ideally you'll be taking in more, cooler air. The higher level of oxygen content should be compensated for in T5 so no worries on that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ideally you'll be taking in more, cooler air. The higher level of oxygen content should be compensated for in T5 so no worries on that.
The only thing that will change are your MPGs becasue T5 will add more fuel to compensate for the colder denser air. Before my intake I was averaging 18-19 in winter with the stock airbox. This will be my first winter with a OAI so cant tell you the diffeence. lol

·
Registered
1990 c900s > c900 Turbo
530 Posts
do you have fog lights?

·
Registered
1990 c900s > c900 Turbo
530 Posts
well i removed mine to get better flow to the filter, if you didnt have them you might wanna make sure snow dosent get up in there

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had an AEM short ram intake on my Civic for years in the area and never had any problems with it in the Winter. You shouldn't have any trouble. I'm gonna be putting a GS open air intake on my 900 within the next couple days. It should be waiting for me when I get home from work tonight. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I do have the fog lights so that should be fine but will the vents to the side of the fog lights cause a problem? ninetysix900SE where abouts are you from?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Same area as you actually. I'm not sure about the grills to the side of the foglights as the bumper on my '96 is different than yours, so I don't know what's open behind yours. I would think you'd be fine, as I don't really see snow making it's way up through the bay and into your intake, but you may want someone else's opinion who knows the 9-3 body style better.

Does your open air intake have a heat shield/shroud/baffle around it? If so, that would make it even less likely that snow would get to it. The lower grill on my Civic was pretty large, but the radiator was behind it, so snow wasn't really gonna get through and make it's way to the intake.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only thing that will change are your MPGs becasue T5 will add more fuel to compensate for the colder denser air. Before my intake I was averaging 18-19 in winter with the stock airbox. This will be my first winter with a OAI so cant tell you the diffeence. lol
Your intake won't affect your MPG unless you're tune is such that the stock intake was restrictive- as in, you're tune is over 300whp.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your intake air temp sensor, along with other sensor, will communicate to adjust for the colder air so that you keep the same power at the same air/fuel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
yeah the OAI is in the stock air box spot it's not like a cold air intake that sits down low next to the wheels. So unless you try to plow through 2 feet of snow with the hood open you should be alright. and from what i can see the filter it protected by the heat sheild and hood pretty well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright well I think ill be putting this on tomorrow, thanks for the help guys. I cant wait to really hear my turbo spool up :cool::cheesy:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
It's a pretty negligible difference in fuel adaption, don't think you'll see any heavy hits from it. I guess I have an aftermarket intake on my car and I can still manage 30mpg with city and highway, and I managed 30mpg going 80mph through Wyoming. Up and down the mountains.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
the only real difference i felt with an intake was at the last few hundred rpms seemed to not die off

1 - 18 of 18 Posts