SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

What do those in cold climates think about purchasing/installing just 2 winter tires on the front?

I,m reading that this is not a good idea for safety yet this advice always seems to come from sources that sell tires.

I don,t know ... My 900 is my daily driver and I want to be safe but 4 tires is over $500!

Steve

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
The best is you have a set of four tires on seperate rims and then you just bolt them up and the convenience and grip is beautiful ;)

I guess it depends how your current tires handle. Are you having a lot of "wheee the pedals do nothing!" events? :lol: Usually most of the benefit of snows comes with the front two for braking and such like this.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
It is dangerous to only have 2 winter tires. If it gets really slippery, when you try to stop, the front will, and the rear will keep going.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd get four, of course in here it's mandatory to have winter tires during wintertime. I'd recommend Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4's, I have no idea how much they cost there so I don't know how valuable this information this is to you.

If you have winter tires only in front you have no rear end grip and the rear is always coming to your side, if you have winter tires in the rear you won't be able to move or turn your car (of course hand brake helps in turns..).

Edit: 100th post!!! :cheesy::cheesy:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Really only two are very dangerous not only on a saab .(I don't sell tyres of course). May be you can buy good recaps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
In the US (or just my state) it's illeage to run only 2 studded snows (have to get all four studded) for reasons mentioned above, so I'd say the same idea behind it applies to non-studded snows. Having said that...I'm not sure how my '89 SPG got studded on the front and non-studded on the back. Not something I'd have chosen to do, even if it were legal.

Drifting will be awesome till I get around to getting 'em matched (either 2 more studded or 2 more non-studded) :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
Four. You are not saving any money by going with two. I also recommend Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4's mounted on extra rims. Steel or cheap junk yard alloys, whatever you can find.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Get four, you can usually get a better price if you order them online from someone online like www.tirerack.com and then have the cheapest local guy mount and balance them.

It's supposed to snow here today some, if that's the case the ride home should be interesting, I've got two summer tires on the back and good all seasons on the front...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys...all good advice.

I like the tires on there now (Goodyear T/A) but the fronts are worn, rears are fine.

But agreed, the ideal way to go is all 4 winters on winter rims.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
look on craigslist. I got my nokians there 1 year old, tons of tread left, mounted and balanced on steel wheels for $150. didn't even have to pay for the air!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts