SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock size for my car (2005 2.0t) is 215/55 R16. I have a set of winter tires available to me that are 215/65 R16. Will these tires fit or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks,
KNG

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Yes they will fit, you will not have problems. A Winter Tire is usually taller and narrower, your just choosing to go taller. It is a dedicated Winter Tread though right? IMO "Looking Balloony" is Hooey. Members here will tell you Winter tires are Narrower and Taller, and most use dedicated rims...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the reply. I have a dedicated set of OEM 16" for winter tires. The tires I have on now are 205/60 R16 Kumho KW17, they are done. I have access to a set of Toyo Observe G-02+ for next to nothing but they are 215/65 R16.

Is it safe to put a set of 195/65 R16 on the OEM 16"x7" rim? Same height as OEM, but narrower. How narrow can you get away with?

KNG

Yes they will fit, you will not have problems. A Winter Tire is usually taller and narrower, your just choosing to go taller. It is a dedicated Winter Tread though right? IMO "Looking Balloony" is Hooey. Members here will tell you Winter tires are Narrower and Taller, and most use dedicated rims...

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I can't authoritvley answer the Q about how narrow you can go on a 7" Rim. I'll venture a guess, and could be wrong, if the stock size is 215, you could be OK with 195. But get that confirmed by a Pro, not an SC opinion.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'll agree w/ Jon as far as a 20mm reduction likely not to cause problems.

For reference, I run the stock size for my Aero - 235-45-17 - for my winters. Not too sure what kind of snowfalls you get in Calgary, but despite not being "narrower and taller", I managed through a tough Erie PA snowstorm (lake-effect hell) without problem.

Growing up in this stuff, it comes down to a good tire and decent knowledge.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hard question but a fat tire is not the answer in snow. Calgary? Got snow? It's a series of compromise, fast on a skinny in the wet ... no way.

Soft compound or radical tread and your handling and wear are kaput?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts