SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Linear with 15inch wheels with a set of all-season tires on them with about 10k miles on them, currently on the car.

I just bought a set of 17 inch rims with winter tires.

I was hoping to get a set of 17 inch summer tires and change the tires (but keep the rims) every season and sell my 15's. However, I was told this would run about $120 to switch the tires only on the 17 inch rims every season ($240 a year). I drive in/around NYC so I not sure I need a winter tire as I got through last winter on my all-seasons, but it would seem like a waste to not use a set of winter tires if I already have them.

At this point I have a few options and I would like some input from anyone who has been in the situation.

Option 1: Buy summer 17 inch tires and switch the between summer and winter tires every season on the same set of 17s and sell the 15 inch wheels (cost of ~240 a year and 500 to 600 for 17 inch summers).

Option 2: Buy all-season 17 inch tires and sell the 17 inch winter tires and 15 inch wheels (one time cost of ~500 to 600).

Option 3: Drive with the 17 inch winter tires right now until they need replacement and then get all-season 17's and sell the 15's (no cost for now, but eventually 500 to 600).

Option 4: Get 17 inch summer tires and see if anyone wants to trade my 17 inch winter tires for 15 inch winter tires and use the 17's in the summer and 15's in the winter (whatever the cost is of mounting two new sets of tires plus 500 to 600 for summer tires).

Option 5: (similar to Option 4) Get 17 inch summer times and keep my 15 inch all-season wheels as my winter set (cost of ~500 to 600).

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
First of all, $120 to change tires is ridiculous! I can get mine changed for $20.

What I'd do is use the 17s for summer and the 15s for winter. That way you can keep your 17s nice (from the salt and crap in winter) and get some nice wide summer tires, and the 15s would be perfect for winter with a higher sidewall and narrower tires, which is great for winter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, $120 to change tires is ridiculous! I can get mine changed for $20.

What I'd do is use the 17s for summer and the 15s for winter. That way you can keep your 17s nice (from the salt and crap in winter) and get some nice wide summer tires, and the 15s would be perfect for winter with a higher sidewall and narrower tires, which is great for winter.
$20 to change tires (on the same set of rims)? Maybe I should find a new mechanic..

·
Registered
568 Posts
$20 to change tires (on the same set of rims)? Maybe I should find a new mechanic..
$20 to de-mount and re-mount a set of 17's is either a "buddy" deal or the garage is trying to go bankrupt. At our shop we charge $10 a wheel up to 15", $12 for 16" and a dollar an inch on 17" and above.

So you should be paying absolutely no more than $75 to have your 17's installed and balanced.

·
Registered
152 Posts
$20 to de-mount and re-mount a set of 17's is either a "buddy" deal or the garage is trying to go bankrupt. At our shop we charge $10 a wheel up to 15", $12 for 16" and a dollar an inch on 17" and above.

So you should be paying absolutely no more than $75 to have your 17's installed and balanced.
That was Walmart's Tire Lube Express price ($5 to mount walk-in tires, free if you buy them there), Not sure how you feel about taking your Saab to Walmart though. Last time I got tires it cost me $23 bucks with lifetime balancing after some discounts, pretty good deal if you ask me.

·
Registered
691 Posts
keep the 17'' for summer tire and the 15'' for the winter tire and sell the winter tire 17''

Winter tire is a lot cheaper in 15'' then 17'' so after 1 set you already save a lot.. and you only have to change your wheel by yourself for switching summer to winter and save again..

·
Registered
568 Posts
That was Walmart's Tire Lube Express price ($5 to mount walk-in tires, free if you buy them there), Not sure how you feel about taking your Saab to Walmart though. Last time I got tires it cost me $23 bucks with lifetime balancing after some discounts, pretty good deal if you ask me.
Right, I forgot about Walmart. They can and will undercut the local shops who actually hire real mechanics. When you pay and treat your employees like sweatshop workers I guess you can afford to offer those prices.

I'd still prefer to pay more to know that the job is being done properly by someone with experience who isn't working part time at his summer job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts