SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had several failures of windshield washer spray nozzles, both OEM and aftermarket. The little cap on the bottom falls or blows off resulting in a big leak and no or little spraying. I studied the nozzles and have determined that there is a small diaphragm valve at the bottom that is intended to retain the fluid in the upper part. So I tried to come up with a way to make failed nozzles usable. The valve isn't necessary for proper function. You just need to replace the cap. Those tiny caps always disappear into the ether after a failure. I use a plastic tire (Schrader) air filler cap and JB Weld (steel reinforced epoxy glue) it onto the bottom of the nozzle. The fit is perfect and the JB Weld works very well.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
The valve is nice to keep the washer fluid in place. For whatever reason, the similar system in the 9-5 works much better and longer than on the NG9-3. However, the nozzles are the same.

I have the problem with my NG9-3 that the washer fluid takes its time to flow. In the meantime, the wipers are wiping a dry windscreen. The windshield has lots of scratches from dry blades dragging dust: it seems the car was store in dusty locations in the past. :(

I have to replace the hood anyway (damaged by previous owners) and I plan to use this harness, which I have on hand:

Brand new with all check valves.

It should fit the 9-3 hood just as well....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The last Dorman nozzles I put in failed after a few squirts. If I buy these again I will remove the caps and JB Weld them in and be done with the issue. But those little tire valve caps work perfectly, so I have no need to splurge for new ones.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE - Epoxy fail. Apparently the methanol in the WW fluid attacks and softens epoxies. One of the ones I glued with JB Marine weld just blew a cap off. I am open to suggestions for improvements.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Junkyard.

I think the check valves are important. My 9-5 has washer fluid spray instantly when I pull the lever, before the wipers have even started to move. The 9-3, not so much. And the windshield is scratched as a result (I imagine from being stored in dusty conditions, then the wipers run on a dirty window).

Or buy the kit I linked from NordicSpeed, it should work just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts