SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at replacing my windscreen after 7 years. I'd like to get one that doesn't have the blacked out surrounds (like esp behind the rear view mirror) to get a more panoramic view of things :cool:

What is this black band and what does it do? Do replacement screens have this?

Quotes differ from $150 to $790 the higher includes some sort of replacement 'band' or something.

Cheers M.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I always thought that the narrow black strip around the edge of the screen was where they put the "glue" when they install it. I think the big black section behind the rear view mirror is like an extension to the sun visors, when they are both down, it fills the gap in between them. I think you could quite easily use a screen without it

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
musky said:
I'm looking at replacing my windscreen after 7 years. I'd like to get one that doesn't have the blacked out surrounds (like esp behind the rear view mirror) to get a more panoramic view of things :cool:

What is this black band and what does it do? Do replacement screens have this?

Quotes differ from $150 to $790 the higher includes some sort of replacement 'band' or something.

Cheers M.
When it comes to windshields there isn't much choice in terms of selection for a certain car, there is usually one the one choice of windshield, one that meets or exceeds OEM specs. Unless the vehicle came with an option of having "privacy glass" or "heated windshield" then their usually isn't another choice.

The black out area behind the rearview mirror is like a sunvisor thing, to block the sun from coming into your eyes through this space.

Black band? Unless you're talking about the black moulding that surrounds the windshield...? This can be the determining factory that increases the cost of a windshield, it the windshield installer can't locate the black rubber moulding that goes around the windshield then the price might go up. Sometimes you can use the old one, but usually you have to replace it, and it can be very expensive.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Diosnoche said:
The black out area behind the rearview mirror is like a sunvisor thing, to block the sun from coming into your eyes through this space.
Yea, you'd be crazy to lose that. It blocks the sun so you aren't blinded when looking in the rear view. Just another Saab safety feature. ;) (Surprised how many cars DON'T do this, but many do).

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent info thanks fella's. After 7 years its amazing how scartchy and marked the windscreen has become and its only rained about twice this year, so the wipers dont get used much and I dont use the washers unless there is plenty of rain on the screen and no biuld up of dust on the wipers.

Cheers M.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yeah, the industry term is "sandblasting", what happens to a windshield over time. If you've ever had to pull over on the side of a busy highway and just stood by the side of the road, you'd feel the effects of the fine sand and dust blowing through the air as other vehicles drive by.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts