SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I just discovered a crack in my windshield starting at the bottom right around the passenger side defrost vent and going straight up the windshield about 1/3 of the way.

So here is the question:

I know that these windshields are like hens teeth to find, but I have a 1975 99 that has a Perfect windshield in it. Now I am going to sell that car, so it needs a windshield in it, but do you thing it is possible to swap windshields?

Can we find windshield seals anywhere?? How hard is it to replace a windshield? Can you install a cracked windshield?

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
You should be able to replace the windscreen and use one of your existing seals, so a new one probably isnt necessary.
If it is, Frosts sell rubber window seal which is probably not far off the original stuff (there is chome filler listed down the page too)

There is no reason why you cannot do the screen yourself, but to be honest i dont think that i would want to! I've just replaced a load of small flat windows in the side of my landrover and I did not enjoy it!
Basically you have to very carefully push and lever it into place and it involves putting a lot of force onto the glass without breaking it!

I have to do the screen on my other 99 when i get round to working on it. I have a replacement waiting in the boot that i removed from another car myself (I cut the rubber seal to remove it as that was easier). I was going to wait until i was ready and then get a proper windscreen fitter to come and do it.

There is a guide for a 900 here - any car is pretty much exactly the same. He doesnt mention there that there is a special tool for fitting filler strips that makes that part of the job a lot easier!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was told that for a 99 windscreen you should lubricate the seal with an "animal based lubricant" (petroleum based lubricants will eat the rubber seal) and that would help the windscreen "settle" with the vibrations as the car is driven in the first few days after installation. If the seal is not lubricated, it can result in stress cracks like you have on yours, or worse, like I have on mine :cry:

Miles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts