SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, big thanks to all the knowledgeable contributers to this forum! I've only had my Saab for a few months and have already encountered numerous problems- this resource has been invaluable. Most recently I adjusted my clutch cable using the thread here and it worked like a charm.

My latest setback is my front windshield wipers going dead. Changed the fuse and it blew out again immediately. Must be a short somewhere, maybe the motor but I've always thought that's exceedingly rare in wiper motors. But maybe not on a Saab!

My question is what should I pay to have this changed? I was quoted $500 by one mechanic listed on this site- no fricking way I'm paying that!

I would order the damn motor and change it myself if I had the tools, but maybe the short is elsewhere and it needs to be hooked up to the diagnostic, so mechanic it is.

Well, that was long winded! Bottomline- if I find someone to do it for about $300 or so, does that sound about right?

TIA!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
We are trying to estimate something that cannot be estimated.
This task my cost $10, or it could run into $$$hundreds..

A junkyard wiper motor should be , I guess $50, doubt if anyone uses a new $$$$ one !
One hour of easy labor, including a proper diagnosis..
One must have a lot of memorized knowledge or the shop manual on this one..
Haynes may help, but is of poor quality generally.
Check the relay and wiring as best you can.
Do you have the test light, wires, and a multimeter ???..

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Earthworm nailed it, a wiper motor assembly, if it is the motor and not a short or a relay, seems to sell for less than $50 used. Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33657&item=7978765157&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It does not take much effort to get to it, access is the same as changing a cabin air filter. Replacing it is probably a pain w/o at least some tools. I would look for a mechanic who is willing to put in a used one, from ebay or from car-parts. Should be about 1 an hour labor. Any garage should be able to do this.

Haynes does have a section on this, you do not need anything detailed to replace it, but tracing an electrical problem can take more time than replacement. Replacing the entire assembly, if you can get a used one, may be easier than the motor alone. A ratchet and a screwdriver should do it.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
JMarkert said:
Looks like PMI needs to change his cabin air filter :lol:
;oops: Done. That pic was taken before I took it out (did not get to it last year) ... looked like mice had been living in the drains! <chuckle>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your informative posts!

All of us noobie Saab people really appreciate being able to pick your brains, so to speak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts