SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have taken a 4th rock to the windshield and am getting my winshield replaced...but ran into something odd.

According to my insurance company, the 3rd party auto glass company they use, and a saab dealer..the glass on my vehicle simply does not exist. Not valid saab part #, etc

On my 2003 Linear, the glass all around the vehicle has the brand name 'Sekurit'. However I am being told this glass does not exist, or at least, not recognized as Saab 93 compatible or available in the USA

Now I am getting my windshield replaced without the 3rd visor accross the top and without the VIN window on the driver side bottom. Not too pleased about that.

Can anyone tell me what brand name glass is on your 9-3ss? (look at lower driver side corner of winshield)

If not 'Sekurit'...do you have VIN window (lower driver side), and 3rd visor?

If so....what is the brand/part number listed on your windshield? I would like to contact my insurance company with a vaild US part number so I dont get shafted with the econo-glass

For anyone in the US who has 'Sekurit' glass, keep your fingers crossed you never need to replace it!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I don't think "Sekurit" is a brand name. It is probably related to a Swedish word for "security" or "safety". The glass is Saab OEM glass. The independent windshield producers may not make glass for the 9-3SS yet. When I had the windshield in my '97 900 replaced, my insurance company had no problem with my asking for Saab glass, though an aftermarket version was available.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
sbl said:
I don't think "Sekurit" is a brand name. It is probably related to a Swedish word for "security" or "safety". The glass is Saab OEM glass. The independent windshield producers may not make glass for the 9-3SS yet. When I had the windshield in my '97 900 replaced, my insurance company had no problem with my asking for Saab glass, though an aftermarket version was available.
Sekurit IS a brand name. All VW/Audi's come with it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've got Sekurit glass too. FWIW, not having the VIN window is a good thing. It's just there so lousy traffic cops can just scan the bar code instead of typing or writing it incorrectly.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
TheVIN or another number is sand blasted on sometimes, in my case by my dealer at my request so as to have a lower insurance premium.

Sekurit is a brand name of the French glass company Saint-Gobain. They make the OEM and they make all the "copies". Only difference is that "Saab" part numer is not on the copies which windshield repair companies like Carglass use. Insist on the Saab winshield or at least one with the "3rd visor" your shop and the insurance are just going the easy and cheapest route. Also Saab insist on keeping the car over night to be sure that the resin/sealant dries properly.

www.saint-gobain-sekurit.com

you can even select your car and it shows they supply Saab.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
DavidMorgan said:
TheVIN or another number is sand blasted on sometimes, in my case by my dealer at my request so as to have a lower insurance premium.

Sekurit is a brand name of the French glass company Saint-Gobain. They make the OEM and they make all the "copies". Only difference is that "Saab" part numer is not on the copies which windshield repair companies like Carglass use. Insist on the Saab winshield or at least one with the "3rd visor" your shop and the insurance are just going the easy and cheapest route. Also Saab insist on keeping the car over night to be sure that the resin/sealant dries properly.
Exactly. I had mine replaced and it has Sekurit on it. It even has the VIN window. I got it from the manufacturer straight. They are the ones who provide Saab with the windshields, according to them. Dont settle for some econo-glass as you said. It sure is available.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
schernov said:
Sekurit IS a brand name. All VW/Audi's come with it.
Along with some Mercedes as well--very large Euro maker I believe.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Will I go to prison for covering up VIN?

Will I get into trouble for covering up the VIN window? I heard that sometimes thieves record the number then try to get a key from the dealer.

If the police want to give me a parking ticket, if they don't see the VIN, will they declare it a terrorist threat and destroy the car? or do something else worse that they do to the usual parking violator?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I am pretty sure that the VIN is also carved in the firewall in BIG letters and numbers. Open the hood and look straight ahead and you will find it there. Show that to the cops if they give you bull!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Dave 37 said:
Will I get into trouble for covering up the VIN window? I heard that sometimes thieves record the number then try to get a key from the dealer.

If the police want to give me a parking ticket, if they don't see the VIN, will they declare it a terrorist threat and destroy the car? or do something else worse that they do to the usual parking violator?
I suppose that a cop could be a jerk about it, but it's probably more of a headache than it seems. If anything, many states have the VIN on the registration sticker that is placed on the windshield.

Either way, like other's have said, I'd demand OEM-style glass.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Energy_AZ said:
According to my insurance company, the 3rd party auto glass company they use, and a saab dealer..the glass on my vehicle simply does not exist. Not valid saab part #, etc
That doesn't smell right. Not right at all.

I've had my windsheild replaced by a 3rd party glass outfit. They put PPG glass in. They even asked me if I had rain sensor or not.

If Saab is out of glass, or they obsoleted the windscreen, that's bad. Highly unlikely though. I would call a dealer Parts Dept. & just ask them for a part number. See what they say.

It just smells funny is all I'm saying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts