SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace my windshield--rock chip behind mirror that I did not notice suddenly spiderwebbed--huge!

Anyway, I have a convertible and was wondering if there any special issues I need to be aware of? Safelite quoted $207 to get it replaced--seems to cheap to me.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Just make sure it is the correct grade of glass, it should carry an airbag mark; apart from that, once the new one is bonded in avoid driving until the adhesive is fully cured [check what the adhesive the installer uses and make sure what the cure time is] my only concern is the windscreen offers a lot to stiffness and resistance to twist in the front of the car and combined with the glue joint are highly stressed in the convertible so let the glue set properly.

·
Registered
642 Posts
MAke sure you request OEM Glass, it will say Sekurit or Securit one of the two I think that would be the original glass. On my old car they used a genric fit, it leaked and the weatherstripping around it kept falling off

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The adhesive too is important. It cannot be expired or poorly mixed, and it must be the correct one.

Only dedicated experts need apply.
Gone are the days of using the foot against the glass to remove(simply push out) and a cord and hand cleaner to install...

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
I had a low $200 figure quoted to me, too. A friendly inspector let my cracked glass pass. Must have been the uniform.:cheesy: Actually, in Louisiana, as long as it isn't in the line of sight and isn't over 10 or so inches... most inspectors will pass it. Too bad a piece of tire from a blow out hit it a week later. Now it IS into my field o' vision. Guess I'll need a new windshield before July of next year.

·
Registered
642 Posts
one perk to MA insurance is that the windshield is replaced at no cost, and no insurance hike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts