SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I got nailed by a wall of rocks from a dump truck and successfully managed to stop the driver and the company paid for my new windshield.
Now that the new windshield is installed, I notice a gap at both the driver and passenger side top where the glass, horizontal trim and vertical trim all meet at the top corners. I don't recall this being like that with my old windshield. I'm pretty sure it was all flush from edge to edge. Should I be worried about this or is it more of a cosmetic thing? I don't want to call the windshield guy to demand he do it again if it's really a non issue. Obviously I don't like the gaps since water can get inside but I don't know the inner workings of a mounted windshield.
Driver side.

Passenger side

·
Registered
1 Posts
It could have been a little tighter there, but it is just cosmetic. If it is properly glued you wont have a leak.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could have been a little tighter there, but it is just cosmetic. If it is properly glued you wont have a leak.
Oh, okay. They have a lifetime no leaks guaranty so, that's good.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
It would bug me for sure.
for sure, When I bought my car seven years ago, the PO told me he had the windshield replaced and there was road and wind noise he never had before...took it back to GM dealer they told him it was fine. I didn't like it and the windshield was sand blasted anyway and being OCD I had it replaced. While I watched Oh . The urethane was not properly placed and there was a big gap where there was zero sealing at the bottom of the glass. Cleaned up a lot of external rtv nowhere near the true spot of the trouble. and properly installed a new glass with new top trim purchased from Maptun iirc...fine ever since.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Wow, nice timing for this post. I literally just change my windshield yesterday after it was fractured from a fire, and I noticed this exact same gap in the trim around the corners. . . like exactly the same. I was concerned about this, but seems like it wont be a big deal. What brand did they use? Mine was FYG, since it was the only option they had access to. To be honest, the quality of the glass on this looks better than the PPG I had on their earlier (I could see distortions in the glass).

It kind of looks like the glass doesn't exactly match the curvature of the frame and causes the trim to bulge out, but I don't know.

·
Registered
449 Posts
for sure, When I bought my car seven years ago, the PO told me he had the windshield replaced and there was road and wind noise he never had before...took it back to GM dealer they told him it was fine. I didn't like it and the windshield was sand blasted anyway and being OCD I had it replaced. While I watched Oh . The urethane was not properly placed and there was a big gap where there was zero sealing at the bottom of the glass. Cleaned up a lot of external rtv nowhere near the true spot of the trouble. and properly installed a new glass with new top trim purchased from Maptun iirc...fine ever since.
Fortunately, I don't hear extra wind or road noise. I guess I'll keep an eye out for leaks. But yeah, it is a little annoying to see the gap.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, nice timing for this post. I literally just change my windshield yesterday after it was fractured from a fire, and I noticed this exact same gap in the trim around the corners. . . like exactly the same. I was concerned about this, but seems like it wont be a big deal. What brand did they use? Mine was FYG, since it was the only option they had access to. To be honest, the quality of the glass on this looks better than the PPG I had on their earlier (I could see distortions in the glass).

It kind of looks like the glass doesn't exactly match the curvature of the frame and causes the trim to bulge out, but I don't know.
My previous windshield was Carlite. This one is PGW (supplier to most OEM including Ford and Mercedes). I don't have extra wind noise either. You can only see the gaps if you look down from above the roof. But I notice things like that. As long as there's no leaking, I'm happy.

Reactions: Firehead
1 - 9 of 9 Posts