SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a crack in my 88 convertible windshield, so I had the local windshield repair place order a windshield for me. Now they're telling me I need the moldings that go around the window. I called the Saab dealer, and they tell me there are (5) moldings, a right,left,top, and bottom decor strip molding and a rubber molding that goes around the entire glass. The window place said get the decor moldings, and not the rubber molding as they will use urethane to install it. I'm a bit nervous, as the windshield is my primary protection (it's a convertible). Anybody have any advice or experience with this, let me know. I'm thinking maybe that rubber molding that goes around the entire window is part of the "Saab engineering", and might be good to have? It's my first post, but I've done a ton of stuff to my Saab over the last 15 years. Wish I'd found this place earlier! Really nice site!:lol:

·
4,637 Posts
The convertible windshield is glued to the frame rather than rubber mounted. This actually makes it stronger. The glass is fitted with a metal trim edge onto which a plastic decor strip goes. When I had mine replaced, the fitter carefully removed the metal trim and the decor strip and re-used them. If they're not willing to try to retrieve the old strip and mouldings, I'd suggest to them that I was going to go elsewhere. OTOH, you could tell them that the mouldings can be reused with a bit of care and offer to pay an extra hour of labour to do so.

Or you could ask them to cut out the glass from the inside (they have to cut the glue to get the glass out) and then you remove the moulding.

IIRC, I was able to remove the decor strip myself and see how the moulding would come off too.

Oh, and welcome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
cdaly said:
The convertible windshield is glued to the frame rather than rubber mounted. This actually makes it stronger. The glass is fitted with a metal trim edge onto which a plastic decor strip goes. When I had mine replaced, the fitter carefully removed the metal trim and the decor strip and re-used them. If they're not willing to try to retrieve the old strip and mouldings, I'd suggest to them that I was going to go elsewhere. OTOH,the you could tell them that the mouldings can be reused with a bit of care and offer to pay an extra hour of labour to do so.

Or you could ask them to cut out the glass from the inside (they have to cut the glue to get the glass out) and then you remove the moulding.

IIRC, I was able to remove the decor strip myself and see how the moulding would come off too.

Oh, and welcome.

they're right about all that stuff, I went to autolite glass by me, 600 bucks to replace it all. I have a tiny crack and road rash, like a sandblasted windescreen, so for now it stays

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds familiar. I have a small crack and 19 years of dirt, rocks, salt, and sand have made the windshield a bit unpleasant. I'll talk to the window guy, and see what he says about carefully removing it. Thanks for the feedback. I like the fact it's glued to the frame!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts