SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year!

After living with a moderately sand-blasted windshield and one small rock chip, I've decided to start the new year with a new one. I've searched for info in the 9-3 forum, and so far found that replacement should be around $300-400. I'm paying for this myself.

I'll ask my trusted mechanic (Planet Saab, San Francisco) who they recommend to do the work, but I'm wondering if for $300-400 I should expect Original Equipment Manufacturer glass. It seems so, though this seems somewhat low to me.

Of those who've replaced their windshield, what have you experienced? Any suggestions, or is this routine work?

Thank you.

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
I had mine replaced by Harman Autoglass with a PPG Solargreen windshield. It looks just like the original, and has held up great. The installers did a wonderful job. My family's cars have had quite a few windshields replaced by everyone from the cheapest guy in the phonebook to fancier shops, and with all brands, some of which I've never heard of, and we've never had a problem with any of them. It seems like a pretty routine job to me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did you pay, and when?

Jeremy R. said:
I had mine replaced by Harman Autoglass with a PPG Solargreen windshield. It looks just like the original, and has held up great. The installers did a wonderful job. My family's cars have had quite a few windshields replaced by everyone from the cheapest guy in the phonebook to fancier shops, and with all brands, some of which I've never heard of, and we've never had a problem with any of them. It seems like a pretty routine job to me.

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
It was about 3 years ago, and I just paid my deductible, $200. When I asked them how much it would cost me without insurance, their answer was "what does it matter?" I didn't get the impression that they were very cheap, especially since they were in downtown Seattle at the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank god you don't have a convertible. I had my windshield replaced in my 1997 and it took the guy over 4 hours. He has been doing it 7 years and said it was the worse one he has ever done. Different set up I guess.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ha Ha! Try getting the rear hatch glass replaced! I had mine busted out this summer by someone's dumb *** golf ball! No one even bothered to mention, "Hey, sorry but it was my ball!" A-Holes! Well to point, it was a horrific experience! They got residual glass everywhere, didn't even try to clean up the small particles with a vacuum. They chipped paint on the hatch, inside the hatch, and even scratched both sides of my car on the side. (upper metal area above triangle windows on both sides). I was soo pissed and I didn't leave until they had someone fixing it! Just for reference, stay and ask to watch them replace it! I left mine, thinking it would be in good hands, but it wasn't! :evil:

Oh yea, and when I asked does this happen all the tiime, they said, "No, it was an accident and they re-assured me that they have been in business since 1949." Whoopty-doo! That doesn't mean that the newer owners/kids take as much pride in the business as did their parents!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just had the windscreen replaced in my 9-3, nothing but drama due to total incompetence. The installer broke the clips which apparently fit under the windscreen which apparently necessitated a second windscreen be fitted. Then the clips which hold the plastic side mouldings broke which meant they had to order these clips and finally after a 4th attempt they had to also order new side mouldings. This was the first Saab they had encountered.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
David Wishart said:
but I'm wondering if for $300-400 I should expect Original Equipment Manufacturer glass. It seems so, though this seems somewhat low to me.
One of my customers replaced the windshield in there 1999 9-3, cost was around $150 CAD installed, the cheapest possible price they could find, which will probably last about a year before it gets stone chipped again.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ive been looking around and quoted Oz $120 (thru my Saab mech) to $750. I hear its important to get the side or surround moulding kit.

Cheers M.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the helpful responses. My next oil change I'm asking my mechanic about windshield replacement and report my experiences.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Mine got smashed a day after the first snow storm of the season by a big chunk of ice that fell off a truck on the interstate. $100 plus change for a near perfect windshield from a salvage yard, plus just under $100 for installation, around $200 total.

Side trim comes right out, using only fingers, and a pair of small pliers on the spacer rivets underneath. There is a bottom trim that is used to lock the windshield in, and stays with the glass. The top trim can be difficult to remove, but a good installer should know how. If it gets damaged, a new one from a Saab dealer is less than $50, I think.

·
Registered
166 Posts
David Wishart said:
Happy New Year!

After living with a moderately sand-blasted windshield and one small rock chip, I've decided to start the new year with a new one. I've searched for info in the 9-3 forum, and so far found that replacement should be around $300-400. I'm paying for this myself.

I'll ask my trusted mechanic (Planet Saab, San Francisco) who they recommend to do the work, but I'm wondering if for $300-400 I should expect Original Equipment Manufacturer glass. It seems so, though this seems somewhat low to me.

Of those who've replaced their windshield, what have you experienced? Any suggestions, or is this routine work?

Thank you.
Used windshield is $100 from a Sacramento dismantlers. Auto Lite, recommended by Planet Saab will install it for about $120. I found one other place in SF that would do it for a $100, can't recall their name now.
Will be doing the windshield in a week or two myself. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I had my windshield in my SPG replaced and they put in one that they said was the OEM glass. Funny.... it was as pitted as the 14 year glass it replaced in less then 2 years (no change in driving location). To top it off, the car began to rust around the windshield where the installers had scratched the paint off under the rubber.

I'm more leary about glass replacement now and am living with my Viggen's pitted windshield until I can find a good place and OEM glass.
Robert

·
Registered
715 Posts
Elite Auto Glass installed one for me. It's a PPG windshield and the quality is very good. On the downside, the installer destroyed the clips for the plastic trim on each side of the windshield and cut the d-side weatherstrip with his knife. I didn't notice the broken clips until, in July, one of the strips blew off on the interstate. I retrieved it to find it had been glued in with the tar-like adhesive they use. It did only cost me $175, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts