SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I remove the rubber to inspect/treat for rust is it easy to replace original and should I use any silicon sealant to make waterproof?

This is one ares where I am sure to find a nasty surprise:confused:

5th 9000 after 5 years of 9-5. Prodigal son returning, but never having had to deal with rust issues before

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
The windshield adhesive provides the waterproofness.

The rubber fits onto the windshield and is mainly there to cut wind noise. Unlikely you will be able to usefully repair rust without pulling the windshield out. I wouldn't even bother looking until the windshield needs replacing.

Rust in there is due to prior incompetent windshield replacement and the rust begins under the sealant/ adhesive. You can't fix that without removing the windshield entirely and all the goo. Often the windshield breaks when you remove it. It is structural and the adhesive bonds it to the steel.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took the rubber strip off anyway, and the bulkhead lid and the wiper plastic base thing, and lo and behold, it is quite rusty.
I have seen worse posted up on here and mine is bad but not a disaster.
Got lots of Por 15 left from my 900;ol;

All the rust at the base of the windscreen is invisible without removing the weather strip.

Winscreen out next. How difficult can it be without breaking it?;oops:

I'll let you know

I suspect that most 9000's will be rusty there by now.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh...I broke it.;oops:

Was going so well, just an inch at the top to get free and a small crack appeared.

I could get a second one out no problem;ol;

Out now and ready for prep

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New glass installed, new trim rubber better than old original.

Used to whistle at 60mph, had to test it out. Got to 130 and still no whistle. I can drive her again without earplugs;ol;

But Jim, how go you get the wooden handle of the cheese wire thru the screen in the first place?;oops:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts