SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup you got it, Halfords do a washer pump that fits our cars, the part number does not correspond with there fitment list but I had the pump removed and did a visual comparison in store.

Get the wheel off and partially remove the arch liner, pull out the old pump and be ready for the car to pee itself as the washer fluid drains off...

Get the pump in a position to remove the electrical connection and the two water pipes [be mindful of which goes where, the oem pump is colour coded the Halfords unit is not, white lined hose connected to white outlet - the rear water feed] ;oops: note the Saab watch strap.

Assembly is in Haynes fashion a reversal of removal, prior to putting the splash guards back partially fill the tank to ensure the new pump doesn't leak and of course it is connected correctly, the cheapo pump fitted...

Pump retails at £18.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
what was the prob' with your pump, my 9-3 has had no rear wash all the time i have owned it, it pumps but with too little pressure to pass the one way valve but the front work fine, a trip to halfords i feel :lol: thanks mate

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
boxman said:
what was the prob' with your pump
Initially I only had screenwash on the front, never worked anywhere else so I cleaned the system out and replaced the non return valves this got the headlamp cleaners working but still no rear wash, I took the motor out and it is one of the reversable types, about a week ago it packed up completely, I'll do a post mortem on the pump to see it indeed the turbine is mishaped through use as the theory on this stands.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
This thread is going to be bookmarked! I must say though, my rear wiper didn't work, until I stuck a metal coathanger up the line under the hood, and then sent some CLR (Calcium, Lime and Rust remover) cleaner thought the system. Worked a charm. I trust we'll be seeing this write-up on Ian's site eventually or in the tech. help section?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Slaab4life said:
This thread is going to be bookmarked! I must say though, my rear wiper didn't work, until I stuck a metal coathanger up the line under the hood, and then sent some CLR (Calcium, Lime and Rust remover) cleaner thought the system. Worked a charm. I trust we'll be seeing this write-up on Ian's site eventually or in the tech. help section?
I do not know of the Saab/GM rear wiper design, but I do know that Volkswagen spends the bucks in this area (IMO,wastes the money)..
Their rear wipe-wash system is all first quality, will out last the car('85 Golf)...

Now, on the employment of CLR, this is a good idea, I'd say plain ole vinegar works well, too..
Whatever you do, DO NOT use York Haven tap water in your system, in any system.
Instead use the washer fluid straight from the bottle - it is cheap enough ( a dollar per gallon on sale, the "good stuff" is $2.67 or so per gallon)..

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohh one thing, that is not the pump used on convertibles ;oops:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have problem with the rear washer too.
Do you guys fill up the tank with CLR/vinegar and then operate the pump or you force it through the lines (after the pump) with a syringe or something?
Do you dilute it with water?
Is there any chance these chemicals will ruin the body's finish, the pump and/or it's seals?

Dimitris

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just bought new washer jets(I posted a few days ago about getting the wrong ones sent to me:evil: ) and having now fitted the new ones (The 9-5 ones fit an NG 1995 bonnet;) ) I think it is a new pump I need as mine dribbles out even with new jets. A trip to Halfords for me too:D

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Methinks Halfrauds are going to do a roaring trade in these - mine is doing the same so I'll replace the pump first (I'm like that :lol:)

·
Registered
806 Posts
A belated thumbs up, ragtopcav, for an excellent write-up and I went off my memory of this thread to take out my washer pump today using just the minimal effort (no bumper or complete splash and wheel arch liner removal) you illustrated. This thread should be stickied if not already so. ;ol;

I tested the pump and found out it "works" when I put 12V across the terminals but it does not pump. The motor spins and bubbles where the intake meets the water in the "test bowl" but it will not squirt water. Perhaps the pump needs to be primed first to make it work or that both hoses need to be reconnected for it to cycle properly? I was expecting water to shoot out of one or both output "nipples" but no dice. I read where someone else also had the same issue and it seems counter-intuitive. Motor runs but does not pump; what could be the issue?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm trying to find a replacement washer pump but on some sites (to include Rock Auto and eEuro) their pump doesn't look the same and doesn't include (or fails to show) two output spigots for the two hoses that connect there. What is the nature of the Saab washer system that it includes two hoses?
:confused: :confused:

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The answer to my own question is the two output hoses denote that the car has a rear washer and wiper. I was not quite aware of the distinction. Furthermore fitment guides on the various sites do not differentiate between the different pumps between body styles; they say it will fit, for instance, a 1995 SAAB 900 but rarely offer any information as to whether it is for a convertible or a sedan/coupe which have entirely different pumps (again, one has a rear wiper/washer, the other does not). Suffice to say you must order a pump that resembles the one you have and to make certain that you are able to see the appearance of the replacement prior to purchase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts