SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a window switch for sale. The one in the center console for a my 99 9-5? Or can you direct me where to find one please.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
If you have one window that is not traveling in one direction the switch is pretty easy to fix.

Take it out of the car, the easiest way is to pull out the coin holder and then reach under the switch and push it up Disconnect the wires and then go to a bench or table of some sort.

The switch covers for the 4 window switch and the on/off switch pull off. Remove the top frame and then push the main part of the switch out the bottom of the plastic holder.

Now take the plastic toggle out on the window that doesn't work. It's snapped into two ears, one on each side. Be careful when you pull it out, there are two little toggles made of plastic on th bottom of springs and you don't want to lose them.

Now, you can see what happened. One of the contacts is probably black/burned, that's the one that doesn't work. Carefully remove the contacts, clean the contact and the parts inside the switch. I used some 0000 steel wool, a small screwdriver and some jewelry cleaner. Once you get them all cleaned up, put them back in like you found them.

Next, examine the small plastic things on the end of the springs. One of them is likely melted and the tab on the top is probably melted off. What happened is that the contact wasn't making good enough contact, it got hot and the plastic part melted. This will need to be replaced.

The good news is that if only one of them is bad you can "steal" it from the on/off switch. It has two of these contacts in it, but only one is used. It's pretty easy to tell which one switches the on/off and which one is a dummy. put the melted one in there and the non-melted one from the on/off into the broken window switch.

Reassemble and be happy that this cost you next to nothing to fix. All in all, should take no more than a half-hour of your time.

If you have more than one not working, this won't help you. So in order to prevent that, I cleaned ALL of the contacts in my switch on both the broken and non-broken windows. That way I hope that the switch will last!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts