SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to pull out my window switch pack, it looks easy with a screwdriver but instead it seems to be destroying the plastic only. What is the trick?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Better to use a tool weaker than the plastic clips; if misused, which is easy, the tool breaks.
I'd use a little plastic pry or lever..Harbor Freight has them.
The manufacturer could have troubled themselves to cleverly give the tab location and quality instructions in the WIS..
But, its too late anyway..
Ahhhhhh, what could have been.:(;oops::evil:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

See that was my first thought but it started breaking the plastic and not moving :lol:

For the uninitiated, my interest is to utilize a switch pack from my 1999 9-3 SE 5-door in my 1991 classic 900 Turbo convertible. My 1991, uses the third C900 switch design, as in 91-94, what I would call "9000 style" switch pack, which has identical dimensions (about 2 x 3,75 inches) to the NG900 switch pack. The plug on the bottom looks the same, and the construction of the insides is identical. The switch "buttons" are different, having a "pull up for up" instead of a push down for up. It looks nicer the 9-3 one of course ;)

For a history lesson, the first design C900 window switches were individual rockers located on the dashboard next to the cigarette lighter. These were moved to smaller rockers in the console, in the familiar arrangement, but still individual switches. For M91, the switches were integrated into the "pack" but from the driver's seat, it looks the same.

It could work really well but the question is pinouts... the C900 vert has only 4 switches (for 4 windows), the 9-3 5-dr has six (4 windows, roof, retarded kid switch). The best is on the 9-3 / NG convertible which has that special "4" button which I totally love, but I think that function is external to the switch and would require significant wiring inventing.

Of course, I just rebuilt my convertible switch pack and now all my windows work decently well so it would be throwing 90 minutes of life in the drain but hey you know :p

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
My next car will be a C900, probably a convertible as well but I want it to be as close to mint as you can get. I'll have to learn a lot on C900s before I buy one. I'm currently reading on the C900 forums over here and on TSL.

I might want to get some tips from you soon on what to look for and what to avoid :cheesy:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My next car will be a C900, probably a convertible as well but I want it to be as close to mint as you can get. I'll have to learn a lot on C900s before I buy one. I'm currently reading on the C900 forums over here and on TSL.

I might want to get some tips from you soon on what to look for and what to avoid :cheesy:
The Kijiji red one is down to 1 275! Today is the time to buy convertibles, in the spring some idiot will try to sell that one for 12 750 :lol:

I don't know if you should listen to me, if you ask anyone about "what to avoid", well, all those cars I have bought :lol:

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
The Kijiji red one is down to 1 275! Today is the time to buy convertibles, in the spring some idiot will try to sell that one for 12 750 :lol:

I don't know if you should listen to me, if you ask anyone about "what to avoid", well, all those cars I have bought :lol:
No, that kijiji one isn't clean enough for my taste and I want either a 1993 hatch turbo or a 1994 Convertible turbo in mint shape or as close to that as possible.

I know that the transmissions are a bad problem with those cars so is the rust on the floors and around the suspension arms.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, that kijiji one isn't clean enough for my taste and I want either a 1993 hatch turbo or a 1994 Convertible turbo in mint shape or as close to that as possible.

I know that the transmissions are a bad problem with those cars so is the rust on the floors and around the suspension arms.
Transmissions are easily fixed! The suspension arm rust not so easily

The "1994" cars were made in late 1993 and are nothing special compared to a '93 or '92. Only the "last of the line" appeal is there but the car itself has nothing particular. '92 they came out with a light refreshening.

Interiors tend to look crappy with time but if you find a real nice one it also costs a real nice amount of money. That said it is relatively easier to find mint convertibles than hatches because of the characteristic of convertible owners.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My hunch was correct, plug and play

That said the rear windows work backwards! LOL!

I guess I can disassemble the pack and paint the trim piece? All the NG 900 ones seem to fade to that nasty nasty colour, my 9-3 one looks like new but is not working right.

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the rocker/button without breaking it, losing the iron "followers" or having too much of a pain in the butt :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
I want to pull out my window switch pack, it looks easy with a screwdriver but instead it seems to be destroying the plastic only. What is the trick?
ive pulled the window pack however it is connected to the cable by a connector that I cannot understand how to uncouple... can I get you guys to give directions ken [email protected]

·
Registered
16,883 Posts
ive pulled the window pack however it is connected to the cable by a connector that I cannot understand how to uncouple... can I get you guys to give directions ken [email protected]
Ah, you just push the little thingy and it unhooks :). I confess to struggling every time with that damn thing and I've done it (literally) 100 times. To make it a little easier, one end has a hook that acts as a hinge. At the other end is clip. You release the clip end (push it) and the connector pivots out. Once you have it up maybe 45 degrees the pins will be clear and you can unhook the hinge end.

\

1 - 11 of 11 Posts