SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am having to disassemble and clean my window switch assembly about every 6 weeks. I'll take it apart, clean the contacts with a combination of alcohol, and very fine-grid sandpaper. Yet after 5-6 weeks, the window operation will become erratic again, and finally the switches will more-or-less fail altogether. So I'll do it again...and again...

Each time, the contacts will have a black deposit on them--it can be difficult to remove.

Is there something I'm missing here? I am not spilling anything in the car or anything like that. Should I use some dialetric grease, perhaps?

cheers,
David
Columbia, MO

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
You may have in internal electrical fault in the switch assembly. The black stuff sounds like carbon tracking caused by arcing.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'd try using some dielectric grease the next time you open it up, see if the effect will change. Otherwise go to a local junk yard and get yourself another main windows switch unit.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Genespleen said:
Hi All,

I am having to disassemble and clean my window switch assembly about every 6 weeks. I'll take it apart, clean the contacts with a combination of alcohol, and very fine-grid sandpaper. Yet after 5-6 weeks, the window operation will become erratic again, and finally the switches will more-or-less fail altogether. So I'll do it again...and again...

Each time, the contacts will have a black deposit on them--it can be difficult to remove.

Is there something I'm missing here? I am not spilling anything in the car or anything like that. Should I use some dialetric grease, perhaps?

cheers,
David
Columbia, MO
As stated above, you need some grease on the contacts. You can actually use some vaseline or go get some dielectric grease for spark plugs at Autozone. After you clean it, apply it liberally and it will keep the copper from oxidizing and turning. I did mine when I first got the car and it's been fine for several months now.

I work on robotic welding equipment in nuclear reactors and we use this stuff very liberally on all contact surfaces.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frank_Drebin said:
As stated above, you need some grease on the contacts. You can actually use some vaseline or go get some dielectric grease for spark plugs at Autozone. After you clean it, apply it liberally and it will keep the copper from oxidizing and turning. I did mine when I first got the car and it's been fine for several months now.

I work on robotic welding equipment in nuclear reactors and we use this stuff very liberally on all contact surfaces.
Thanks folks! I'll give the dielectric grease a shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts