SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any DIY instructions on replacing the window regulator?

I did a search and found some pictures of the regulator with the wire path, but that wouldn't really help with the install. I have one coming that I found on ebay for $100! (plus $15 shipping). I think I can do it just fine without instructions, but its always much easier with them. If not, I will try to document as much as possible with pictures and post it on here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is probably not what you are asking for but I had mine done under warranty for $175.00. It didn't cost me any money but when I looked at the bill I saw that they charged $175 to be reimbursed from GM. It took more time to wash and dry the car than installing the regulator (half an hour).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Highnndry said:
It took more time to wash and dry the car than installing the regulator (half an hour).
the service techs actually dry your car? I have started asking for no wash when I go, because I find lots of white soap spots everywhere on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Half hour!!! Great!

So if the actual service place can do it in that time, that gives me, hmmm, about 10 hours!!

·
Super Moderator
20,423 Posts
Dealers get reimbursed by Saab at a MUCH less rate than what they will charge you. You're looking at a several hundred dollar part and several hundred dollars of labor.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Had two done (failed within 24 hours of each other!) recently and it was something like $300 each with fees and tax. But that was for the regulators w/o the motors, which were fine. Shop around. In this case my dealer was actually LOWER than the independent Saab shop we use.

I found some info on the web (sorry, didn't keep it) and it looked daunting enough to just let the dealer do it. I think the labor was about half of it. I'm sure it's something that's easyonce you've watched it being done, but I didn't want to get halfway in and do something wrong.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I actually just began a write-up yesterday on how to replace the regulator, including problem diagnosis and part numbers. I've almost finished but still have a few pics to put in and some re-organising to do. I'll try to get it posted in the "How to..." sticky.

I'll let you know in this thread when it's done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok- don't mean to steal the thread but, serious question regarding this window regulator. I have a 2003 9-3 with a bad window regulator. I was reading numerous posts about this stuff and is it true that the part for the 2004 has a stronger piece of plastic by the motor part. (the piece that the two cables wrap around)(the 2003 is a white piece and the 2004 is a brown piece??) .. IF so, will the 2004I hope this makes sense to someone. Because i do not want to buy a $180 part to have it break in one year if the 2004 part will work..
thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ryanr,
I got mine done over the weekend. Extremely easy. Took me about 1.5 hours. I recommend DIY to anyone who is at all mechanically inclined. I took pictures so I will post when I get a chance.

The regulator I received (don't know what year it came from) had the brown plastic sliders. I paid $100 for it used on ebay, with $15 shipping. I don't know what the dealer was going to give me but it would have been $175. The parts dealer said it is a very common problem so I imagine the parts are a better, stronger plastic.

Hope this helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts