SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, I got the regulator in. I was on here asking for some DIY instructions with no avail so I made some of my own. It was so easy, I don't think I really need to put these on but it can't hurt.

1. Take the door panel off. There are 2 screws under the handle cover.(Took me a little but to find these, oops!) Size 45 Torx wrench. The rest of the door is just held on by clips.

2. Take out the speaker so you can take off the baffle. I thinks the speaker has 4 screws, can't remember off hand.

3. Take off the motor. 3 screws highlighted in red in the picture below, also 45 Torx. Unplug the electrical connector highlighted in yellow.

4. Take out the glass. Its kind of tough but you need to take it out in order to get the regulator out.

5. The picture below shows 6 screws with red circles. These are screws that you need to remove to take out the regulator. They are all 10 mm. With the window out the regulator should come out very easily.

6. Put new regulator in. I put the side that hold the motor in first. The cables can bend easily so it should be pretty easy to get back in.

7. Put the screws back in for the regulator along with the motor and its screws. Its kind of tricky with the door off but you need to plug the switch from the door back in so you run the motor to put the slides in a good place. The picture above shows 2 yellow circles where the slides should be located. This way when you put the glass back in you can tighten them up.

8. Put the glass in and tighten the slides. Not too much so you break the glass. Test it. Always test before buttoning everything up.

9. Put the baffle on, screw the speaker in, put the door panel back on and screw it in.

You're Done! See, pretty easy!!

I hope this is helps someone out there.

Ben

·
Super Moderator
20,335 Posts
Very nice write-up! I'll have to link to this in one of our sticky's.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wish I saw this earlier...

I just paid about 300 bucks to have my passenger window regulator fixed. Based on what happened I would say that the window came off the rail. On any normal car it would have been 5-10 bucks to fix, just buy those little plastic clips that hold the window to the rail. No such luck. I took my car to the saab dealer and they told me I needed a new regulator. boo hoo.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
wmk1975 said:
Based on what happened I would say that the window came off the rail.
I think this is what happened to mine as well. The window wasn't clamped in tight enough and eventually popped out of one cradle. Mine was fixed under warranty.

Great how-to, bjgryskie!

Wonder if the motors will start to go on these. The brushes get worn. Might be worth saving your old regulator, at least the motor. The motors sometimes just screw out of the regulator. So you could replace just the motor provide you had a spare.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I paid about $250 to have a local guy put in a new window regulator for me on my driver's side window. These these go bad all the time. GM is kind of infamous for faulty window regulators. :x Looking at the old part I remember that it looked like the metal wire had come off a spool or motor.

On my passenger side currently my window is also off the rail AND the window regulator is messed up. Thankfully the glass is in good shape.

·
Registered
253 Posts
2 notes on the door panel removal: (I was doing this for the door lock, not the window regulator)

a) I found the trim on the door handle easiest to remove starting at the bottom of the "elbow" (where the trim turns from horizontal to diagonal).
I used a camping pot scraper (ie. http://www.rei.com/product/750412?vcat=REI_SEARCH) but a credit card is almost as good.

b) for the door panel, I found the clips along the bottom to be really tight.. best place I found to start was mid-way top-to-bottom at the edge of the panel closest to the front of the car.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks

Great info. I just replaced the front passenger window regulator on my car and it is working well. I did not need to replace the motor.

Purchased the part from the dealer:
12-793-729 $170.00 USD

·
Registered
32 Posts
instruction 5 references a picture and it is missing can it be reposted? My window just fell out off. Found those stupid plastic clips broken. Also any advise if this is the correct part?
W0133-1720102
Oh...any update on ability to buy the clips only? Probably still screwed into having to buy the whole regulator.
Thanks All. This is the best how to community on these cars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I found all the pieces that broke off, the plastic broke fairly clean and in a spot to where i can slide the pieces back over the metal window clip so I am gonna go ahead and epoxy this thing up unless I am missing that something else is broken. Any ideas from the experienced? I am wondering what, if anything else that could have broken (some other plastic some where?)

Also, is there a way to loosen and tighten the cables to make repairs a little easier. Don't wanna snap or stretch my cables.

Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
my 08 aero both back windows are going bad. they go down but make a terrible crunching noise and go up super slow with even more crunching. I took my door panel off and there's a bunch of slack in the cable and some kinks. Anyone have a link to a new regulator? I'm having trouble finding the part.

·
Registered
214 Posts
my 08 aero both back windows are going bad. they go down but make a terrible crunching noise and go up super slow with even more crunching. I took my door panel off and there's a bunch of slack in the cable and some kinks. Anyone have a link to a new regulator? I'm having trouble finding the part.
Try partsgeek. Just did mine last week. Free shipping.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Try partsgeek. Just did mine last week. Free shipping.

Just did the mechanical part of the install on regulator from PartsGeek. Different design than OEM, slides instead of the pink and green pulleys but it all fit.
But I am stuck on the wiring. They included a 2 wire adapter and the plug on their motor is 2 wire but the OEM SAAB connection is 6 wire. How did you deal with that? I imagine the two wires are the power connections as they are heavier gauge but what are the other 4 wires for? And if they are for an unnecessary feature how do I know which of the two power connections is which? Black and blue on the Pimax part adapter, white/grey and plain grey on the OEM connection.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Trying to bump this up. Maybe if no one has a direct answer maybe someone has access to WIS and could tell me what the 6 wires are for (each wire and by color, please) so maybe I can at least get power to the regulator even if I lose a feature

·
Registered
214 Posts
Power is prob one of the 2 biggest wires.
You can just use MM to see the power.
My guess The other wires are for the main control for autodown and all that.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Power is prob one of the 2 biggest wires.
You can just use MM to see the power.
My guess The other wires are for the main control for autodown and all that.
I didn't know there was an auto down feature for the rear windows. If there is that makes sense. Don't have a MM and I generally stay away from electrical so I don't blow myself or the device up. Got a electrical engineer friend at work that works on his own cars, he'll help me, thanks

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
75% of people viewing this thread have an 03...coincidence? I thinks yes. Had mine fixed 3 times and never doing it again hahaha Thing made me so mad...luckily im cool with the dealer and only paid the third time...still only paid for the part, but the design is rediculous

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone know how to replace the back door power lock? I have tried and tried with no luck :/

A little off subject I guess sorry about that, I have asked other places but no one ever answers me.....

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think my rear Window regulator broke yesterday.

This is the first time that it has happened in the 6 years I have owned the car, I don't open/close the rear window.

Yesterday I was trying to close the front window and accidentally pushed the up button on the rear Window, the loud noise it made sounded like the window was broken (Was not in a good side of town, so it was my first assumption) but then the Window motor no longer opens/closes and if I close it manually the window will start to open little by little while driving.

Will try to fix it my self, I found the instructions below for removing the rear door panel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts