SaabCentral Forums banner

Window regulator failures

25K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  Big Kev 
#1 ·
Are window regulator failures very common in our 9-3ss? Mine are fine so far, but I was wondering if all the failures being reported are in a certain model year, or what.

2003? 2004? 2005?

Please post any failure experiences in terms of model years. Thanks.

#2 ·
Yo. Right here.
Driver's went out, and I think passenger is on it's way.
I think a search will reveal that this is a rather common 2003 issue. There's quite a few 2003 members that had it bust.

Mine was experienced by hearing a light "pop", and then about 2 days later a rather loud crunch. Then, the window wasn't really attached to anything, and would only stay up if I jammed it up into the weatherstripping. :roll:

Passenger did the small pop, but will be replaced under warranty as well. Nice dealer!

#3 ·
Add another to the list. Passenger side stopped working a couple weeks ago and just made ugly sounds when the button was pressed.

Part to fix is on a national backorder with no eta for the parts. I'm thinking Saab needs to contact VW about how NOT to handle the problem.

And to top it off, my wife keeps trying to use the window daily. Today it fell down about half and inch but I was able to jam it back up into the weather stripping. Repeatedly telling her that it's going to fall into the door doesn't seem to help her stop.

#4 ·
Me too. 2003 Arc. Passenger window.

After being told by dealer parts were on back order, they called back a week later and said part number was discontinued. They were working on gettting the appropriate substitutes. They said bring her in Monday and they'll work the issue. They have 4 others on the lot waiting for the same thing.

wish me luck, and good luck to you guys. i am tired of manually forcing the window up into the weather stripping before each trip (if I don't, it whistles on the highway).

GP

#6 · (Edited)
The info you need

My drivers window went twice in two weeks. Did not hear the pop but if you do it is the spot welding giving way. After a certain VIN number the part was replaced. If you search a little you can find my recent thread with all the info.

This info is thanks to edusaab:
Checking the parts that it was changed from one year to another, there is the mechanism of the support of the window.

the cars before the chassis number 31034551(those are the last numbers of the chassis) they have a specific support mechanism.

After that chassis number they receive a new part, for the Left door, the part number is 12802320, and for the right door is 128802321.

Repairing is not good enough, they must replace with the newer part.

#8 ·
My driver's and passenger's front windows both had regulator replacements at certain points last year.

To top it off, yesterday the weatherstripping on the driver's side window started to disintegrate and crack, so I can't roll the window & down properly.

You know, in 1987 I bought a $6000 Dodge Colt:

The windows always went up and down;
The windshield wipers always worked properly;
The windshield washers always worked properly;
The gas gauge always worked properly;
Plastic pieces on the car never disintegrated or ripped.

I cannot make those five statements about my $25,000 2004 Saab 9-3.

#12 ·
Driver side replaced last year, pass. side last week....PITA but DIY for under $150.00 each.
FYI, while replacing, if you think the motoor may have died, there is a little black rubber button on the motor..I found out it must be a reset...WHEW, saved me $250.00 more..

#16 ·
Window motor

My 2004 9-3 ARC vert motor died yesterday. In that car the motor and regulator are 2 different items.Saab wants $340 for the finger protection motor and $377 for the non finger protection motor (mine). The regulator is $377. plus 1 1/2 - 2 hours labor. My independent shop is $340 for the motor i need. Maybe the reset button w/work. We will see. next week.

#18 ·
Yep... same problem

I bought my 2003 9-5 Linear in November, and the windows never worked (turns out they unplugged the power clip to the windows so that people wouldn't mess with them on the lot and they also bent the regulator frame to hold the window up instead of just buying the new rollers that it needed) and I just figured it was an electrical thing so I bought a new switch, waste of 50 bucks. Then cracked open my door panel (once to see what was up and the second time to put the new green regulator rollers in) and spent multiple hours trying to figure the stupid thing out. Not very happy that I will have to replace my front window regulators because people are lazy and don't know how to fix things.

Thanks for helping me figure out that is what is wrong with it, though.

#19 ·
Window Issues

I have a 2004 93 Aero and I continually have window issues. I've had my driver's window repaired 3 times. It would go all the way up and then go 1/4 of the way down. Go to put it back up and then window would go all the way down and then back up. After a few months of that it just woudn't open. Now the passenger front and back are doing this...1 month after getting the driver's window fixed. Is this an on going issues in Saabs? Has there ever been a recall on the windows?

#20 ·
Seems like more of a problem in northern and saltier climes. Never open windows if the cars been sitting out wet and frozen. The plastic runners that hold the window and slide in the tracks break. Ive been looking into the Caddy CTS regulator that has metal runners and seeing if theres a retrofit possible. They are really close and only $50.

#21 · (Edited)
I know it's been a while, but I have had an ongoing problem with my passenger window for quite some time. I had fixed the track system myself, but still went up/down slowly (but was at least on track). Started having the same issue, so I took it to SafeLite where they replaced it with my new track pulley system I ordered, same issue was occurring. Took it to another shop, they charged me $75 to put lube inside somewhere. Worked for a few weeks, then slow up/down. Then it got to the point where it was going up so slow that I would have to continually keep pressing up, until it was finally closed. Now the track came off the window again so it's shut for now.
It seems as though when it gets hot, it gets mad and doesn't like to work.

Could this be a regulator issue, or something else? I'm tempted to take it into the dealer, but would rather not pay $500 plus for this issue if I can fix it myself.

I like the windows down personally, and am going crazy with this problem. I'm tempted to replace the whole door. Thanks guys for your help!

Edit: The regulator IS the pulley system, so that is already replaced. Perhaps a bad motor? Doesn't explain how it goes off track though..

#22 ·
Bump for any ideas. Should I just take her to the dealer and eat it?

#23 ·
did you open up the door and check? I had the very same issue like yours due to a loose rubber track near the area between speaker and mirror, the rubber came loose and caught up with the window when going up, eventually got stuck adn can't close all the way. this may worth a look for you.

#24 ·
Thanks for the response. I did have the door apart. What your describing sounds to be the issue, like the windows is getting jammed/stuck when trying to move. At one point the window was on the other side of the weather stripping also.

I wonder if I could buy replacement stripping somewhere, or perhaps your saying to glue it down? ;ol;

#26 ·
Awesome man I'll have to rip my door apart again and try that.

#27 ·
Hmmm, post what you find when you take your door apart again. I just had an issue with my passenger side window, it wouldn't go up or down. Took it into my local indy and they said the regulator was fine but the window motor was shot. Motor was replaced and now the passenger side window works but it goes up alot slower than before.

I'm wondering if something wasn't aligned properly or not lubed when they shop put it all back together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.