SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first off, I already posted a thread about a loud squeal coming from my car, but I believe it has escalated into something more. Now that it is colder it seems to happen much more frequently and much longer. I turn on my car, get myself settled in, and I start to move. Then begins the loud squeal. So I put the clutch in and it stops. I then release it and start to go and the loud squeal comes back. It seems to be linked to my clutch in a way. As soon as I put in my clutch, it stops, but if I disengage it and start giving it some gas it starts. It lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes! It's really embarrassing and I don't like it. Please tell me what's goin' on!

And for the window thing. Last night I was with my friend and I was going through the drive-through. recently my drivers side window has been having a little bit of trouble going up. It goes down real easy but come time to go up, it would stutter a little and then go up. Well, last night it went down, then would go about 2 inches up and stop. I would pull on it and yank on it and the motor just wouldn't push it up. And if I did manage to get it up, it would get off track and start going up sideways and then stop. So I would straighten it out and start helping it up again. Is it the motor that is having the problem or is there something else? Remember, it goes off track now too so it will try and go up on an angle and be weird about it. If it is a motor problem will it be hard to replace? There are junk yards here I can pick new ones up from but if it's a different problem, I kind of want to know. I will take the door panel off later but since I am at college, I don't have a lot of time to get home and do that.

Sorry this is so long but I just had a few problems!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't know about the window but the squealing could be the clutch release bearing or..

Start the car, switch on the heated seats the headlights and the rear window demister.. does it squeal now? what about when you rev the car? do all of this in neutral if you hear the squeal then most likely your drive belt is loose or the tensioner is shot.. its the big belt down the left side of the engine. with the engine off check it too see if its split or loose or really shiny looking.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, as for turning all those things on, I usually do because it's cold here now so I automatically turn on the heated seats, and the auto climate control turns on all the other stuff for me. I have noticed all the squealing has come more with the colder weather, whether that be because of the cold or because I turn all those things on because of the cold. I'll take a look at that belt tomorrow. How hard will it be to replace that belt? Is it something I can do or will i need to be taken in?

How about the clutch release bearing? Tensioner?

Thank you for your helpp Tooky

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The clutch release bearing is INSIDE the gearbox bellhousing. The bearing comes with the new clutch kit. Kits usually comprise the clutch plate, clutch cover, and the release/thrust bearing. You CAN get the bearing seperately, but seeing as the gearbox is coming off anyway, you might as well get the whole kit and change the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I went out and checked the drive belt this morning before I left. From what I can tell, it looks fine to me. It's ot overly shiney or torn at all. It doesn't look worn or anything. Also, when I started the car today and started to leave, it didn't squeal at all. It was a tad bit warmer this morning, and by that I mean above freezing. Also, I turned off the heated mirrors. I don't know if either were a contributing factor. I hope it doesn't have to do with my clutch. I don't want to replace that now. I already need to get new tires.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Belt is a fairly easy replacement but you need to compress the tensioner, im sure a quick search on here will show you how to make the tool. I did one a couple of years ago and used a G-Clamp which slipped so I needed a new tensioner as well woops!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
squeel - then stop - pop bonnet - switch off - put hand on each pulley driven by the belt - any hot? = pulley bearing

Start - but stay out & rev engine hard by pulling on the throttle cable = any squeel you,ll now know where its coming from
nip back in and warm up

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay. I'll give that a quick test. I just hope I can find this out before something snaps and I have a broken engine. That is one thing I cannot afford.

·
Registered
115 Posts
On a 97 CSE, I had the AC compressor start squealing, if it's colder, I know that it goes on and off when you have the defroster on.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BrettK said:
On a 97 CSE, I had the AC compressor start squealing, if it's colder, I know that it goes on and off when you have the defroster on.
No worries there, my AC compressor doesn't work. It's not even hooked up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
justin.graeff said:
No worries there, my AC compressor doesn't work. It's not even hooked up.

Does the belt still go round its pulley? if so try pulling the wire that goes into it, it wont then be able to engage the clutch and if its that the the squeal will stop. Yellow wire in photo below (1995 CDE 2.3 FPT)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no, the belt was taken off because it didn't work before I even got it. I considered finding one and putting it on, but someone told me the compressor didn't even work, so I gave up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh! Then how does the belt fit on the other pulleys?? Maybe there is a non acc belt available does someone else know?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tooky said:
Oh! Then how does the belt fit on the other pulleys?? Maybe there is a non acc belt available does someone else know?
On the 2.0 litre engines, there is a separate belt that runs the AC. I've notices on the 2.3 litre engines there is one single belt, but not for the 2.0's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wonder if your squeal is the same as mine; mine comes from the driver's side, somewhere pretty close to the dash. At first I thought it might be a brake indicator, but it sometimes keeps squealing even after the car is stopped. Then I thought it must be a belt, but I know that my dad had the accessory belt replaced about 2 days before he gave me the car. All I can say is that it comes and goes, it often disappears when the clutch is pushed in, and hard bumps (potholes, etc.) often make it appear. Sometimes it's just a soft sound, and sometimes it's really freakin' loud.

I had kinda assumed it was a cooling fan somewhere. Hopefully it's NOT the clutch release bearing; I'm pretty sure the clutch was replaced within the past couple years, although I'm not sure about the cylinders. Where exactly IS the clutch release bearing? Is it on the clutch, the pedal, one of the cylinders? And why would it squeal when the car isn't moving?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That sounds extremely similar to mine. Even after I stop it will continue for a bit. It seems that when I engage that clutch, it goes away, until I start driving again. It's loud and embarrassing. I think it has to be a belt. I am almost positive it's my drive belt, even though it looks fine. It seems to go away for the most part when I turn off the side view mirror heaters. Try turning it off to see if it lessens or goes away.

·
Registered
367 Posts
check the pulleys. my car made a terrible squeal and the tensioner pulley had siezed. not sure if its the same on the 4 pots though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
justin.graeff said:
And for the window thing. Last night I was with my friend and I was going through the drive-through. recently my drivers side window has been having a little bit of trouble going up. It goes down real easy but come time to go up, it would stutter a little and then go up. Well, last night it went down, then would go about 2 inches up and stop. I would pull on it and yank on it and the motor just wouldn't push it up. And if I did manage to get it up, it would get off track and start going up sideways and then stop. So I would straighten it out and start helping it up again. Is it the motor that is having the problem or is there something else? Remember, it goes off track now too so it will try and go up on an angle and be weird about it. If it is a motor problem will it be hard to replace? There are junk yards here I can pick new ones up from but if it's a different problem, I kind of want to know. I will take the door panel off later but since I am at college, I don't have a lot of time to get home and do that.

Sorry this is so long but I just had a few problems!
Your window problem sounds like the central window track. If you're lucky the top bolt is loose. If not, the track has come away from the spot welds on the bottom mounting bracket. All I did was glue the bracket & track together. You can use the weld holes to line everything up. I used a gel based super glue, must be better stuff out there. It's summer over here, I've been going a few weeks the drivers window gets alot of use.

A tip for taking the mirror control panel off the door card;

Remove the little toggle switch that selects the mirrors, pull off the foam pad. You will see the plastic mounting lug squeeze it with small screwdriver. You can then slip a flat blade screwdriver behind the control panel and pull it off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts