SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Ok. What's the deal with chrome molding around the windows? Is that year-specific or a certain trim level? Mine's an 89 and it has chrome trim, but I've seen pictures of 89s with black rubber molding (or plastic or whatever it is). I was thinking it was chrome up to 89 and then rubber from 90 and after. The reason I ask is that I like the chrome tons better, but someday I'll probably want a newer C900.. but I don't know if I'll have to settle for black molding!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Turbo models had the black trim, while all the non-turbocharged models recieved chrome trim, this was on the trim around the windows, windshield, rear window and the door handles. The "black" Turbo door handles had a black handle but the release button was chromed, giving an attractive look.

For 1991, all models recieved the black trim, which looked more modern than the chrome by this point.

The advantage to the black (metal) trim is it holds up to the elements much better than the chrome. The chrome windshield and rear window trim tends to rust inside the plastic, making it look excessively ugly, which can be fixed by replacing the plastic trims. The metal parts on the side windows tend to last forever but need to be cleaned periodically with polish. The black trims just wash with the rest of the car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH! Thanks 900t. See now it all makes sense. Next 900 I'd like to get will be a turbo, so I guess I'll get to like the black trim. It does look much more modern, but I like the older classic look I guess. And yes, my windshield molding looks awful and rotten.. but I still love it :D Man, I'm addicted to these cars and I've only had one for a month.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've had the impression for some time now that certain features differed depending on the country of export.:confused:

The black trim seems to have corresponded closely with the facelift to the front and rear (grille/lights/bumpers) around '87 here in Australia.

I'd have thought it was the same in the US once upon a time, but I've seen pics that seem to contradict that. :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've grown to hate the chrome-plastic trim: It's expensive, and you're lucky to get 2 years out of it before it starts to look like hell :evil: (Guess how I know.)

On my 1990 900S; I'll mask it off and spray-can it with either silver or black (I'll give it a wet-sanding with 600-grit first, though). Bet this lasts longer than those pricey replacement pieces would:p

·
Registered
528 Posts
ProfZ said:
I've grown to hate the chrome-plastic trim: It's expensive, and you're lucky to get 2 years out of it before it starts to look like hell :evil: (Guess how I know.)

On my 1990 900S; I'll mask it off and spray-can it with either silver or black (I'll give it a wet-sanding with 600-grit first, though). Bet this lasts longer than those pricey replacement pieces would:p
I think you can remove it from the car, if you want to spray them. But, i agree the chrome tends to look old and ages easily.

-Alex

Wait i dont think were talking about the same trim, never you mind then.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Sadly, it's the plastic rubbish:x

The corner-pieces are solid metal though--I'm guessing, polished stainless steel.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but does anyone know where i can find these? I live in southern California and junk yards are no where near.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I ordered that stuff, and tried to do it on my '86. What a PITA.
After an hour, I had only made it about 12" around the back windshield ... so I gave up.

there is some other stuff that I found at my local shop that was a just a tad smaller. I started doing the front windshield, as it was straight pieces... a little easier.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I've had the impression for some time now that certain features differed depending on the country of export.:confused:

The black trim seems to have corresponded closely with the facelift to the front and rear (grille/lights/bumpers) around '87 here in Australia.

I'd have thought it was the same in the US once upon a time, but I've seen pics that seem to contradict that. :)
You may not have seen many pre face lift turbos. My 84 900t has black trim.

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
You may not have seen many pre face lift turbos. My 84 900t has black trim.
Hey S9, there is a 84 in the local yard. Does that moodel have the electric dome light switch behind the shifter? I need an extra switch for interior lighting mod on my wifes vert but i dont wanna waste the petrol if the car wont have the interior switch.

Thanks. Sorry for jackin this thread. I'll get my coat now..

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Hey S9, there is a 84 in the local yard. Does that moodel have the electric dome light switch behind the shifter? I need an extra switch for interior lighting mod on my wifes vert but i dont wanna waste the petrol if the car wont have the interior switch.

Thanks. Sorry for jackin this thread. I'll get my coat now..
it's the early style switch, small grey switch, not the 2 or 3 position switch that is in later models (I assume your vert is this...) so yeah, probably a waste of petty!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts