SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working through an issue with my windows and automatic door locks.

Sequence of events:

Passenger (right) front window started acting up as if it had a ghost. I’d close the window and as i drove the window would lower by itself. Sometimes partially other times completely

Thinking it may be tied to the anti-pinch I disconnected and then reconnected the wire harness at the door jamb. Results not what I expected. Window wouldn’t work at all from any control and the automatic door locks became inoperable. I ended up applying 12 volts to that windows motor so I could raise it for security so I know the window mechanism works.

Assuming the passenger window control had to be remarried to the car I took it to the dealer to be looked at. They diagnosed the Master door switch on the driver door was defective. They offered to order a replacement switch but let me know the switch was very hard to get and had other cars waiting 6 months or more for the part to come off of back-order.

Tried to source a new switch myself with no success. Ended up coming across someone that was kitting out parts from a totaled car identical to mine but one year newer. Replaced the switch and figured none of the windows would work and the switch would have to be married to the car. (Dealership implied that would be the case)

Instead the switch made no difference for the windows and door locks. The original three working windows still worked. The power door locks switches still failed to work and the passenger front window was still inoperable.

So I’ve always heard many new/replacement parts had to be married to the car with a Tech II so why did my windows that were married to my orig switch automatically work with the replacement switch and assuming no issue with the new switch why didn’t the passenger window start working again. As in shouldn’t all the windows work or not work with the new switch. Would I be wasting my time taking the car to the dealership to have the switch married to the car? Or is the level of this being married to the car really dependent on the complexity of the part being replaced (IE ECM or Stereo replacement more complicated then window switch replacement)

I’d really appreciate some guidance on how to move forward. Tired of chasing the
many options

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
My 2004 convertible is having lock issues that the shop has identified as the driver's door switch pack being programmed for the wrong car, and it can't be programmed correctly. (I have not yet verified this.)

As a general question, what window switch packs can be installed in a convertible? Can a pack from a sedan be reprogrammed? Or a wagon?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2004 convertible is having lock issues that the shop has identified as the driver's door switch pack being programmed for the wrong car, and it can't be programmed correctly. (I have not yet verified this.)

As a general question, what window switch packs can be installed in a convertible? Can a pack from a sedan be reprogrammed? Or a wagon?

While researching options for a replacement switch I came across some parts sites that provided call out for a list of subsequent part numbers that would work, something like five different numbers I could have used. Since I had to buy used the one I bought had the identical part numbers listed so there should be no problem here.

Don’t know much detail on the tech II so I’m curious if you just re-add the switch or do you have add each window indendently and all the options individually such as door locks and pinch control. If it’s the whole switch then the locks and passenger window should have worked

·
Registered
8,835 Posts

Sedan/wagon switchpacks fits, but they miss window down (and up) when you close top, all other functions works. I have not found way to reprogram these to fit to convertible.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Sedan/wagon switchpacks fits, but they miss window down (and up) when you close top, all other functions works. I have not found way to reprogram these to fit to convertible.
Interesting. All windows do go down after top is dropped if I continue to hold the top switch. Likewise, windows come up fully if I hold switch after top is up and latched. So there may be something else going on.

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
Those are "all other functions".
What I mean is when you close top, windows go down a bit to prevent stuck to seals in top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts