SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '97 9000 that is having problems with windows fogging up during cold temperatures. No liquid present, no sweet smell, and no coolant fluid level decrease, so I don't think it has anything to do with the heater core.

I don't have problems when it is below 10 F. Probably due to very dry outside conditions. Once the inside temperature stabilizes, there is less of a problem with the windows fogging up. The worst is when it is raining and the outside temps are in the 40 - 50 F range.

Suggestions? Filters? ACC unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Same issue = on the air inlet box under the plastic splash tray in front of the windscreen, you have the inlet air flap, if its stuck in the "recirc" air position i.e. blocking off fresh air inlet. I found by gently pushing down on it - it opened and stay,s there, & cured this issue

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Having the same problem with my 97 Anniversary. Totally and suddenly fogs up.

I found setting the air con to high with the front demist on worked OK, though not perfect. I think I will take a look, as Norman suggests and see where my stuck recircualtion flap is pointing :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi David

We've met a few times before - Blagdon 'Lazy Sunday 1' and couple of other local things. I've wanted to come over to Freds beer and chat for a while - unfortunately it clashes with my late night at work - brother's in the midlands and a little too far to be practical sadly.
The first Wednesday it doesn't clash - I'll be there!!

Have a good Christmas

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! This sounds quite promising. I'll look around myself, but let me know if you have already bookmarked any sites with pictures / diagrams for getting at the air inlet flap.

Norman Lovie said:
Same issue = on the air inlet box under the plastic splash tray in front of the windscreen, you have the inlet air flap, if its stuck in the "recirc" air position i.e. blocking off fresh air inlet. I found by gently pushing down on it - it opened and stay,s there, & cured this issue

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Almost certainly the recirculation flap motor has failed. They seem to stick closed. The ACC closes the recirculation flap every time the car is switched off so when this motor fails it usually fails in the closed position.

Easy to check, open the hood (bonnet), remove the plastic aquarium cover at the base of the windshield (windscreen), open the filter box at the top of the AC evaporator box and pull out the air filter (might as well replace it if it looks dirty), then observe if the recirculation flap is open (flat against the firewall) or closed (closing off the fresh air intake). Then switch on the car and select the recirculation button and deselect it to check if the flap opens or closes.

Bet yours is stuck closed. New motor looks easy to install but don't be fooled. Looks like two easy to remove screws. There is a third machine screw invisible and behind the motor which even my super skilled SAAB Master technician had to use a mirror to see and a magnetic screwdriver to remove and re-install.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Gently push down on the flap, it will return to the open position and stay there. Apart from the odd wiffy farmers field i,ve not really found a good reason for having the recirc mod operating, indeed after a nice plate of mince neeps and tatties i,m best keeping maximum air flow through the car -;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts