SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know why im advertising his company for free but hey. if anyone has those annoying tramline scratches down their passenger and driver windows, you can get them polished out. to replace the windows is $110 each, or you can ring these people in Melbourne and they can do it for $80-100 per window, but you will also have to grind down the 'W' clip in the door so it won't happen again.

Complete Windscreens
9725 4533

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
pull the window trim off and clean the strip, its the crap that gets on the strip by the clip and is pressed against the glass NOT THE CLIP itself, it's like putting your wipers on a muddy dry windscreen it scratches to f*** and damages the wiper blade, so what do you do clean the crap off first with water etc, same applies to the strip it's where the crap off your dirty windows gets stuck against the trim where the clip is and it scratches when wound up and down, if you take it out you will see exactly the prob and there will be no metal showing through just little shinny gritty bits wash scrub them off problem gone. and if you have 2 windows it's probably cheaper to buy/hire a polishing wheel/machine and get some scratch paste /powder from your glazier and do it yourself.
if you look at the clip there is only one or two possible contact places even if it was that, not an inch wide

·
Registered
954 Posts
mine's the same way. its an inch wide on the pasanger side in the middle of the window. and an anoying scratching sound. Need to replace the clip down in there. it scraps the glass

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
There is a good guide produced by Saab USA about this which Tom Townsend has scanned and put up on his website.

The particular document is here.

Craig.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
i have replaced the glass on 4, c900 2dr, and they don't scratch after refitting BECAUSE THE SEALS HAVE BEEN CLEANED, no metal holder was touched, it's where the clip is but it's never been the clip :nono; just the crap, :roll: HAVE A GOOD LOOK, and clean them

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
16- sometimes the clips wear through the seals causing scratches (wich I belive was c900s point), and sometimes the scratches are caused by debris. I have often found cat feetprints on my car, these unsightly muddy marks almost allways coincide with sand/dirt in the door glass seals. Until very recently I absolutly loathed the chore of reinstalling the exterior trim and seal , but have found that a rubber mallet and a soft-wood block make the job just a little harder than an oil -change.:cool:

·
Registered
13,112 Posts
The clips scratched windows on brand new cars; thus the service bulletin.
If your car is doing this, bend the door edge where the clips attach out about 1/8" with your fingers to permanently solve the problem.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
grif900 said:
16- sometimes the clips wear through the seals causing scratches (wich I belive was c900s point), and sometimes the scratches are caused by debris. I have often found cat feetprints on my car, these unsightly muddy marks almost allways coincide with sand/dirt in the door glass seals. Until very recently I absolutly loathed the chore of reinstalling the exterior trim and seal , but have found that a rubber mallet and a soft-wood block make the job just a little harder than an oil -change.:cool:
What I really get annoyed by is that when I go to remove an exterior window seal and find that the piece of steel it's fixed to is rusted badly. The doors on mu 83 900S are like that I can't be bothered trying to replace any of the exterior window seals since they're all doing the same thing due to long exposure to the sun and rust eating at the steel that the seal fixes to. sigh.

Craig.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey guys, i took the seal with the 'w' clips off yesterday. i'm a retard and wasted time because i should've realised that the clips weren't the problem because the scratches are on the outside of the door not on the inside where the 'w' clips are. but i was able to get some fish oil on some rust spots i found in the door. so this leads me to my next question, how do you remove the seal on the outside of the door so i can clean it up every now and then to stop the scratches reoccuring after i get them polished out.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Outside trim strip is held on with clips, pry up gently and it will come off. If the scratches are on the outside then it is these same clips that are scratching the glass.There is a rubber flap that covers them and keeps them from touching the glass, over time the clip can push though, espcially if roughly installed etc, and will come into contact with the glass and over time wear scratches in it. I had this probem on Blue, and I removed the trim strip, ground down the clips a bit with an angle grider, and reinstalled, and now there is plenty of clearance and they do not rub anymore.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Would anyone know how to go about using the glaze/paste to DIY? My passanger side is horrible and my driver has 2 or tree but not very visible.​

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
you will need a polishing wheel, these are a lot denser/thicker than a metal polishing mop, and i have some pink polishing powder from a glazier, which is available anywhere, but it needs to be kept moist/wet when polishing the glass.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
len88 said:
but i was able to get some fish oil on some rust spots i found in the door..
:eek: I can almost read it now. " Ever since I rustproofed my car, cats have been following me everywhere I go. Please help.......:cheesy:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
grif900 said:
:eek: I can almost read it now. " Ever since I rustproofed my car, cats have been following me everywhere I go. Please help.......:cheesy:
nah its not that bad, it smells for about a day then dissapates. my dads been using it for 25years (use to be a mechanic) and it works a treat everytime. it stops the rust from spreading and getting worse.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Matt88S said:
Outside trim strip is held on with clips, pry up gently and it will come off. If the scratches are on the outside then it is these same clips that are scratching the glass.There is a rubber flap that covers them and keeps them from touching the glass, over time the clip can push though, espcially if roughly installed etc, and will come into contact with the glass and over time wear scratches in it. I had this probem on Blue, and I removed the trim strip, ground down the clips a bit with an angle grider, and reinstalled, and now there is plenty of clearance and they do not rub anymore.
yea i took that off and the clips aren't showing through, so i'm thinking the previous owner may have put new trim in after it scratched the windows, but then never go round to fixing the scratches. but i want to get tinting so i don't want scratches underneath

1 - 17 of 17 Posts