SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Good find ! Thank you.

I admit, still feels surreal, to read about Muller and what he says:

“It was so frustrating for Saab fanatics like me for so many years,” says Muller. “Not only did we have to wait 13 years for this next 9-5, but we waited a ridiculous amount of time for four-wheel drive, while GM Europe took whatever profits Saab was making and threw them into an Opel/Vauxhall black hole.” Muller will come out with these refreshingly honest statements all day long while his PR team squirms nearby."

“Now we’re independent, our next four models are paid for,” Muller goes on, “And I am committed to returning Saab to its roots, while at the same time finally bringing the brand up to the level of quality and respect that the Germans rightfully receive these days.”

"As we’ve always felt in Saabs, the full leather and its stitching can still be made to be more upmarket. “Yes,” agrees Muller, “We are going to be working massively on perfecting the Saab interior experience, and a big part of that is constantly improving the materials choices.” Not long after the midsummer North American launch of the 9-5, in fact, Muller tells us there will be a premium-level personalization program offered in part to help solve the puckered-leatherette feeling of the current material. The Aero sport seats could be more sporting as well, as regards their overall support especially at the sides."

"The Holden V-6, with intake and exhaust variable valve timing and most of its 10.9-psi, turbo-aided 295 pound-feet of torque ready between 2000 and 6000 rpm, gets this larger 9-5 to 60 mph in a decent 6.7 seconds. There’s a minimum of turbo lag involved, although it will be better when a twin-stage biturbo setup comes along for a Viggen version. “The Viggen name should play a significant role in the future,” Muller confirms."

When a wee more than 2 months ago, we didn't know if our beloved brand would ever even make it to intensive care or have its life-support plugs pulled.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Excellent read, thank you Baco for finding this. If all the independant US press can pass on a similar message then the Saab's future will be truely enhanced... I like the way he finished the article:

"We are hoping this all works. Not just because our offices are in Michigan and Saabs are perfect year-round premium transportation, but also because we are shamelessly in love with the Saab we grew up with before GM came in and fixed everything that wasn’t broken.

And because we like to see the confident Germans sweat a little."

Winding road have this http://www.windingroad.com/versus/super-swedes-saab-vs-volvo/ you know what to do next ..:cheesy:

·
Registered
922 Posts
In a really evolved move, the new 9-5 Saabs for North America will all come available only with the 6-speed Tiptronic automatic. The manual shift linkage we’ve tried on European 9-5s and 9-3s is the worst we have ever had to live with in this century. Only if this standard and traditional setup is greatly improved should Saab think of bringing it.
This is total BS, i think i have good reference points having only driven standards on quite a few VAG cars and another SAAB and Volvo.

The 9-3 6MT, while a bit long throw is by no means bad at all.

Now we need a decently tuned AcuraTL/Bentley-ish manny tranny. Heck if even Acura can do it...

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I haven't 'forgotten', just 'suppressed' those memories.

Both of them require a little body english to make the shifts happen.

The 9000 made that nice 'thump' from the lever when you got a clean shift.

It's all coming back now....

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
I haven't 'forgotten', just 'suppressed' those memories.

Both of them require a little body english to make the shifts happen.

The 9000 made that nice 'thump' from the lever when you got a clean shift.

It's all coming back now....
Hey man, shifts happen ..... :lol:

"Thump" ? Every manual 9000 I've driven (ahem, including your ex-) made a resistant "click" from gate to gate. Oh and during all that, rpms drop and so does boost :confused: Not trying to sound cynical, but despite not being able to shift, I actually like my automatic's un-interrupted, continuous boost like a runaway locomotive.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
having driven a bunch of them, the only manual linkages that really worked in my opinion were in the Viggen cars and the 93SS. any other Saab manual, however fun, was by no means "premium" when it came to shift quality. (I date back to the mid-80s)

glad you all liked the article. i encourage you to subscribe to Winding Road. it's a great auto e-zine with honest writing, not the "fabricated press" found in the big name mags.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I drove Victor Muller's new 9-5 on March 12. He had just gotten back to the Spyker factory, and while we were talking some guys from Spyker R&D took out his car and really put it through the wringer.

When I got to the car it was pretty much "warmed up". I drove it with Victor in the passenger seat, and was pleasantly surprised. I expected a rebadged Opel or Vauxhall, but was very impressed with all the integrated technologies.

Unbelievable that GM was just going to let this car die.

And, from here it can only go up. I have high hopes for Saab.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
same stuff that lexus and bmw makes there cars out of...
same cars in this class weigh around the same area

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
This is total BS, i think i have good reference points having only driven standards on quite a few VAG cars and another SAAB and Volvo.

The 9-3 6MT, while a bit long throw is by no means bad at all.

Now we need a decently tuned AcuraTL/Bentley-ish manny tranny. Heck if even Acura can do it...
I don't even get it. Clunky shifter or no, removing a choice is ALWAYS bad for the customer!!

And Saab customer likes manual gearbox very much! Even in automatic-centric USA a very large number of the 9-3 and 9-5 sales are manual. My 9-3 is manual :lol:

I really liked the 6M 9-3 shifter, I felt it was really good. The one that tends to be annoying is the old C900, it is old and doesn't want to shift into 1st and is kind of loose and wasn't too hot to start with. That said, in early 1980's, the car magazines said it was the best FWD shifter feel they had ever felt! :D:D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i disagree, in the US hardly anyone drives manual, and if the brand is to grow up with its customer base it makes sense for the flagship model to come in an auto-stick for the time being until they know the brand and model are viable again.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
i disagree, in the US hardly anyone drives manual, and if the brand is to grow up with its customer base it makes sense for the flagship model to come in an auto-stick for the time being until they know the brand and model are viable again.
I think you are right .. Not quite any colour you want as long as it is black ..
Yes, a limited choice of colours for the start and later options for an improved interior. They are starting up the factory almost from scratch.
Anyways, whats wrong with a 6 speed paddle change :) .

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I think you are right .. Not quite any colour you want as long as it is black ..
Yes, a limited choice of colours for the start and later options for an improved interior. They are starting up the factory almost from scratch.
Anyways, whats wrong with a 6 speed paddle change :) .
well, that's easy.

it's missing a pedal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.