SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Wow, I just posted something about this a minute ago. The 1988 setup is all individual switches mounted in the plastic bezel. This is one big mechanism with 5 switches. It would probably work, but the connectors may not be the same. Ask the seller for a picture of the underside to check to see if it will fit.

Edit: I should have said --'This LOOKS LIKE one big mechanism...." I think that is called a 'switch pack'.;oops:

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Does it look like it'll fit? Because it certainly won't fit mine. Wrong shape altogether. They did change the style at one point, possibly 1990; before that you could replace a switch individually, after that you have to get the whole unit.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, realistically I should have queried before I made a Bid, but the most I can lose is 20 bucks, A Tankfull cost a bit more,,,

IS THERE A WAY TO JUMP THE PINS ON THE SWITCHPLUGS TO GET THE WINDOWS IN THE UP POSITION? IT'S STARTING TO RAIN!!

JON

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Use the roof switch -- it may fit! You can jump them, I don;t know which pins are which....

·
4,637 Posts
That looks like the individual switch set to me. My '92 has the multi-switch pack and it's longer, incorporating the sunroof switch.

In the meantime, these switches are proper mechanical devices. Opening one up, cleaning with vinegar and regreasing with vaseline should get one working again. Then you can close the windows...

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call me a Dummy, I cant figure out how to get the switches apart...i keep thinking something is gonna snap and i back off....I've flushed the plugs and swirches as best i can with WD40, gonna try some electrical type cleaner to flush the wd40 residue out.....and hope for the best

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hmmm..the auction says it's in "great condition" but the little lighted switch images look to be either totally gone or on the way out!

You can clean yours and make them work like new.

After you have the individual switches removed from the pack (push them off to one side, don't simply pull upwards) Use a really small blade screwdriver to pop out all 4 tiny clips on the bottom of the switch, and it will slide apart. (You kind of have to hold your mouth right) But they all come totally apart. The rocker switch section can be removed from the switch housing as well with the same small screwdriver.

Good luck,

-Rob

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well how simple that really was.....lol,

All four switches have been removed and cleaned out fully, I could not believe the build up of crud in there. Now, the issue is that both front windows are inoperative, no switch works on them, (even the roof switch) but the switches will operate the rear windows if i plug them up to them.
when I hit the rear windows, I seem to hear a solenoid or relay click, I do not hear this with the fronts. Are there relays with external fuses I should look at, to my knowledge the 30amp (#3 IN THE PANEL) is all there is fuse wise for the Windows!

Would appreciate some help on this....

Stumped in the Colonies,

J

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
make sure you put the switches back together properly. they are nealry entirely mechanical, i had issues with getting them working and the whole proceedure took me a few tries, modifications, and some yelling. 2 hours later i noted my auto down feature was lost, some other stupid mechanical clip. they are a pain, and i spliced in new lights which added to the whole thing. but i can tell you the lights are worth it! they look so cool at night!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fact that no "Working" Switch works when plugged up, clearly says it's not an issue with the individual switch on the circuit. So we, errrrr,,I, have to find out what the problem is, the next step is to rip the door panel and apply voltage to the motor, or put a meter on and see if volts are getting there. That is unless someone knows something I dont.

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eggs you are too good to me......btw using the Roof Switch was a great suggestion.......

I'll sneek a peek at the relays before sundown.

many thanks,

Jv

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Do you hear clicking? If yes the relays are good.

Probably the motors are gummed up. Take off doorpanel, clean everything. Put lots of grease on the window regulators, remove motor. Disassemble motor, clean out all the grease and put new grease. Seal it back up, put it back in the door, enjoy working windows.

In the mean time, try grasping the window at the top, and pulling upwards as you press the switch up.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Victory.....

TY Eggs, fuse 11 was blown....that's probably cause the drivers side was sticking,,,,,but at least now, all the switches have been cleaned (until the nex spill) and at least I, have learned something new about my Saab.
monday I will attack the sticky Window.....

Thanks all for the input.

JonV

1 - 17 of 17 Posts