1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Yep, that will fit, and you can route at least the intake side through the stock location with a few extra couplers. From the turbo, I use a 135 degree silicone elbow, an eight or nine inch stainless pipe with a 45 degree bend, and a tight 90 elbow.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
mike saunders said:
Yep, that will fit, and you can route at least the intake side through the stock location with a few extra couplers. From the turbo, I use a 135 degree silicone elbow, an eight or nine inch stainless pipe with a 45 degree bend, and a tight 90 elbow.
do you have any pics of how you routed the turbo side or can you explain with a little more detail how you didi it. Wait you have a 900 thet has both hoses on the same side I have a 9-3 SE witch has the viggen intercooler so I think I could fit both hoses throught the stock location, right?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Go back to ebay and search for " 28x8x3.5 ". Roughly same price, much bigger surface area, 3.5" core.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The problem is the 90º elbows. Its a tad longer than stock unit, so I had to fabricate a few pieces of tubing so it fitted to the stock hoses.
If you plan on using custom hoses all the way, the less of a problem, although mine is a little shorter..

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd love to see someone's pics of their hot side plumbing as well. I constructed some using a 135 degree elbow but it's still not like I wish it to be. Mine is a 97 900se. Did you run the 135 degree elbow straight off the compressor toward the front of the car (which would involve trimming the 135 degree coupler or a very tight 90 degree off the compressor) or squeeze it beside the oil pan so that it points more toward the intercooler initially?
Room is quite limited and it's really a PITA to run that piping.
Pics would be great!

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Here's my hot side, i have rescently welded to two sections of pipe together and removed the centre silicone conector.

Vigge, is that 2" pipe you used to be able to route the turbo to IC pipe though the side of the radiator? Do you think it would be worth me swapping the 2.25" piping for some 2" on the turbo to IC side so i can fit it through the side of the radiator rather than around it?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Si said:
Here's my hot side, i have rescently welded to two sections of pipe together and removed the centre silicone conector.

Vigge, is that 2" pipe you used to be able to route the turbo to IC pipe though the side of the radiator? Do you think it would be worth me swapping the 2.25" piping for some 2" on the turbo to IC side so i can fit it through the side of the radiator rather than around it?

http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/album545/PIC00041?full=1
Those pics are not from my car, but yes the piping is 2". In my car I have the hot side built in similar manner, but cold side takes the longer route around the next beam. I found it easier to build this way since you can turn the orig IC-delivery pipe hose roughly 90 deg and then you'll just need a few add-on parts to connect it to the IC and there arent anything on the way on that side. I will see if I can find you a picture of it.
Dont think you will see much of a difference, but if you like to fiddle around with the isssue do the 2" mouting through side of the radiator and test it out.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Haha nice..that's how you do it.
The university has vacuums for us to rent - I might have to report a couple of the accessories as "missing".

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
comtrang said:
Haha nice..that's how you do it.
The university has vacuums for us to rent - I might have to report a couple of the accessories as "missing".
Nope, those pic where not from my car and have not yet utilized sucs pieces...
Mine is connected like this (pic from prototype installation)
http://www.stcf.net/viggen/IC2.JPG
Some of the piping and clamps have been changed to the current installtion.
The silicone hose connects to the orig rubber hose underneath the washer water container.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Si said:

where you able to keep your fogs with this install?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
jota69 said:
where you able to keep your fogs with this install?
fogs can be kept in the type isntallation like I have on my car, but you will need to start with a 45 bend from the IC, not straight +90deg combo like I have. I personally removed my fogs completely after I broke the glasses from 4 pieces within 1.5 years time

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vigge said:
fogs can be kept in the type isntallation like I have on my car, but you will need to start with a 45 bend from the IC, not straight +90deg combo like I have. I personally removed my fogs completely after I broke the glasses from 4 pieces within 1.5 years time
so you have the hot side through the stock location and then routed the cold side this way? what size intercooler are you using and did you have any other issues on the install?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Only one fog light in at the moment on the cold side, but when i fit the viggen bumper i have i'll try and drop the IC infront of the oil cooler, that should drop the pipework enough to refit both fog lights.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Vigge's packing a 508x300x75 IC, which translates to 20"x11.8"x3".

I lost my foglights too when one of them was taken off by a stray tire on the highway.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
I like the extra 40 feet for the piping to make it to the engine. :cheesy: Vigge, it surprizes me that you will go along with all that plumbing, but have something against continuing the piping all the way to the tb. Keep it all 2.5" :roll:

You know come to think of it, what about those sts turbo kits that mount back before the mufflers on biger cars, they have to pump the air about 7' or something, what kind of lag would that be and some seem to do quite well. That vette speed channel did on hptv. Maybe with a turbo, none of it matters, you just push past all those problems :)

John

1 - 20 of 39 Posts