SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been leasing new Saab verts since 1997, so I've been quite loyal. I even had to get two cars completely replaced by Saab because they had continual repairs that fell under my state's lemon laws.

I have a year left on my present lease. The too-often repairs I can many put up with -- but I'm getting restless with the lack of improvement in certain areas that should be a simple fix. The most annoying thing is the sound system. It continues to be mediocre, even with my replacing some of the speakers. While on vacation recently, I rented a Chrysler Seabring vert and its stereo COMPELTELY BLEW AWAY my Saab's!! Completely. Same thing happened when I rented a Ford Mustang vert.

Plus, those cars' interior panels do not vibrate when you play music semi-loud -- as almost all of my Saab's have (I often had the shop fix that vibtation under warranty -- but why do I have to have that fixed in the first place?)

OK, those other cars don't have the same handling as my Saab, so my next car will not be a Mustang or a Seabring. But there are other verts. Audi? Volvo? BMW? Others?

Does anyone know much about those verts? Can I get Saab-like driving performance with the sound system of a Mustang -- all in one car?

·
Registered
409 Posts
As much as I love my Saab, it, like anything else created by human beings, is not perfect. As it is a complex machine, it will have its quirks. That is simply the territory. We could have real perfect, but bland cars. I think we all chose our Saabs to have something with flare. You take the good and the bad.

If though, its quirks exceed the enjoyability of the car and you can't take it anymore, then it's time to move on and try something else. While they are fun, at the end of the day, it's a car and at least needs to move us from A to B. It that doesn't happen, then it has no value to us.

The sound system? Add some amps and hard-core speakers man! It's some work but it will make for an impressive ride.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Which sound system do you have? The Bose in my sportcombi is actually quite good. Surprisingly good. Bose home audio sucks, but the car stereo seems to be fine. My readings on this board found that many people find the base SAAB stereo to be craptastic, but the premiums in '07 were pretty good.

I would suggest a test drive of the 08 vert with the premium stereo.

Other 4 seat 'vert options are either pricey or dull. Seebring, Solara, Mustang then the uber expensive Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Austin, Jag. Beetle, PT cruiser? (not quite the same market at the Saab). A good newish used 3 series might be the ticket.

·
Registered
302 Posts
No Bose in convertible or combi. You have a premium sound system but the Bose system only comes in the 4 door sedan. Yes, the Bose system is far superior to either premium sound systems in the combi or conv.

·
Registered
110 Posts
FLA_SAAB_ DRIVER said:
i swear by my 07 60th AE bose system, ive had people tell me to turn my subs down and im like :nono; subs here, just 6x9s that should like subs :p
Totally agree with that. The rear bass in the Bose equipped cars is great. In my 04 with 'Premium' sound, you may as well have had no rear speakers.

Now I'm waiting for the 'Bose = Blows' people to step in :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Swedish Bullet said:
Yup. Premium sound in the 07s is damn good.
According the owner's manual, the premium is also available in the combi...

I have the Premium sound in my 07 vert. Even though everyone has their own tastes, I find it amazing that some people think it sounds "damn good." Granted, compared to the sounds system in the previous Saabs, the 07 Premium system is clearly better. But it's really just gone from bad to mediocre. The Premium sound in the 07 uses most of the same crap-quality speakers as the old Saabs -- just with more power. OK, at least now I can actually hear the music clearly while driving with the top down on the highway! But take a ride in a Mustang or Seabring vert -- two cars at half the price -- and it's obvious how much the Saab's sounds system still lags. After I return from vacation (and having rented a Mustang or Seabring), I'm always struck by how weak my Saab's sound system is.

Since my OP, I've found out that the Volvo C70 offers an optional sound system that rivals that inside the Lexus. And the C70 is a hard-top vert (that's another gripe I have; when is Saab going to catch up with the car-makers who are converting to hard-top verts?) But I'd have to find out a lot more about the C70 before making that leap. If anyone knows a good reason for me not to get the C70, I'd be interested to know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the 07 Premium Audio pkg (Bose) and I think its mediocrity at its finest.

The stereo in my 07 Passat (that I came from) blows this one away.

I have to question Bose using their name on something that would so thoroughly convince me never to buy another of their products.

Functionally (menus, controls, etc) I think the radio is good.. it just does nothing to impress on sound... for being a $900 option, its a total waste of $$.

Mike

·
Registered
165 Posts
I kinda like the Bose system in the 07's. I like it better than the standard BMW stereos I had in my last 2 cars. It's certainly better than the standard Chevy stereo in my wife's HHR (even though the visual cues are pretty much the same... ;) ). It's not the best stereo ever, but I wouldn't say it's absolute crap by any stretch, I'm actually pretty happy with the clarity and volume. Maybe a tad more bass...

But maybe I've just cranked my guitar too loud over the last 20 years or so... :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
cddakin said:
Totally agree with that. The rear bass in the Bose equipped cars is great. In my 04 with 'Premium' sound, you may as well have had no rear speakers.

Now I'm waiting for the 'Bose = Blows' people to step in :D
No highs?
No lows?
Must be BOSE. :lol:

Admittedly, I've never heard a *home* Bose product that was worth even half of its MSRP, but *some* of their automotive systems aren't bad at all...

I've heard good-Bose in cars: in a Nissan G35 Sedan, a buddy's Chevy Avalanche, and another friend's Cadillac CTS. All had 'premium' Bose systems, and all sounded pretty good. Heck, the Maserati Quatroporte uses a Bose system, so some of them ought to be quite good (or Maserati owners are dumber than we are...)

I've also heard bad-Bose in cars: both were in Mazda's, one in a Miata, the other in a CX-7. Absolute garbage systems. Awful, tinny, muddy, bad.

I've not heard the one in the '08 9-3, so I can't comment.

For a convertible comparable to the 9-3 with a 'great' stereo, check out the Volvo C70 with the 'Premium' audio. Volvo's premium Dynaudio system is magnificent. Absolutely superb. The best stereo I've heard this side of a 60k Lexus LS with the Mark Levinson system (which nearly brought me to tears). The Volkswagen EOS might be another option for a 'premium' convertible.

Our S40 has been a great car. My wife's daily driver, it's actually held up better than my 9-3 (problems & rattle wise). The C70 is basically the same car but in convertible format. I participate in a Volvo forum like this one, and I have read of a couple of complaints that the roof leaks if you go through an automatic car wash, and some comments to the effect that it's normal and all convertibles do that, which is BS. I believe that the C70 is about $5k overpriced ($40k), but otherwise a good car.

I have test-driven an A4 sedan with their 'Symphony' system, and it was quite nice. I would consider it firmly in the 'very good' category, but not quite 'great'. I know, ambiguous terms. It was fine and pleasant to listen to, but if I recall correctly my feeling was that it wasn't quite worth the not-insignificant price over the stock stereo.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If anyone knows a good reason for me not to get the C70, I'd be interested to know.
I can't think of a good reason not to get the C70 especially if the hard top and stereo are important to you, and it's probably priced cheaper than the german alternatives. Maybe you should have researched your purchase better, as the new C70 would have been out when you got the 07 Saab - it came out as an 06 model.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If anyone knows a good reason for me not to get the C70, I'd be interested to know.
In a recent Car & Driver magazine compaison test the C70 rated last of the 5 premium convertibles they tested. The Saab 2.0T rated 3rd. The Saab would have been 2nd if they would have provided the Aero packaged car like C&D had requested.

The BMW wins, but cost is a serious factor as a BMW 328i 'vert is around $50K.

While some love hard-top convertibles, I'm not a big fan due to your trunk space being almost zero with the top down. Top down cruising with a trunk full of luggage is not an option.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/12928/2007-vw-eos-v-2007-audi-a4-v-2007-bmw-328i-v-2007-volvo-c70-v-2007-saab-9-3.html

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I gotta respect you vert guys. Paying all that cash just to ride around a limited amount of time to with the top down. The interior gets hot, the roof can be a pain and the body flex.

I love my Saab and realize Saab makes good dough on verts, but I would never buy a luxury vert of any type. Rather have a used Porsche of some type instead.

Sell the vert and get an Aero with a sunroof.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
DanS said:
I gotta respect you vert guys. The interior gets hot, the roof can be a pain and the body flex.
And let's not forget the basal and squamous cell carcinomas, or the one that kills you-- melanoma!

I see these every day, and they love to pop up on the heads, ears, and shoulders of vert drivers.

Bigtime fun!

·
Super Moderator
20,335 Posts
ctrlz said:
And let's not forget the basal and squamous cell carcinomas, or the one that kills you-- melanoma!

I see these every day, and they love to pop up on the heads, ears, and shoulders of vert drivers.

Bigtime fun!
Thanks Debbie Downer!! :cheesy:

·
Registered
101 Posts
The 60th Anniversary Bose system is pretty good, but, I agree with others here. The sound isn't that great. I consider myself a closet audiophile. I have a pretty decent system at home and I believe I understand sound.

What I hear from the '07 9-3 with Bose is what I hear from most all of the GM radios that use this system, a muddy low end. BUT, given the fact that any speaker asked to produce bass below 100 Hz AND good mid-range is, well, a comprimise. The same driver has a difficult time doing both simultaneously. How can a driver produce both 60 Hz and 2,000 Hz well at the same time?

This is where the sub woofer comes in. These speakers don't produce anything above 100 - 150 Hz. The ideal is to not allow the regular speakers to produce anything below 100 Hz and ask the sub to pick up and do everything 100 Hz and below. This way power isn't being wasted to drive the dash and doors with the low frequencies (which require most of the amps power) and put a seperate, larger amp on the sub. I think the cheapest and easiest way to improve the sound of the factory system is to add an amplified sub in the trunk and open the pass through.

The Infinity Bass Link seems to fit the bill quite well.

If you don't have NAV and want it, look into the Pioneer AVIC series. For about $1,600 and a weekend, you get NAV, 10 GB for tunes, XM with traffic, Bluetooth, an Infiniti sub, DVD, and backup camera.

The Pioneer has a low pass filter that can produce everything above 100 Hz and send it to the Bose amp and 9 speakers and send only the 100 Hz and below to the self-contained amplified sub in the trunk. The AVIC produces 50 watts peak / 22 watts RMS to each door which doesn't sound like a lot, but, since you're not producing the lower frequencies, it's plenty. BUT, in this installation, both the stock stereo and the AVIC send only four inputs to the Bose amp which then splits the signal for 9 speakers including a center. The AVIC, though, won't send anything below 50, 80, or 125 Hz to the Bose amp, which should give it much better performance, and the sub will take care of anythng below one of these settings. I would probably set the filter at 125 Hz as the sub would easily handle this. I haven't installed it yet, haven't bought the car yet (hopefully soon), but this system should rock.

I did put a similar system into my Tahoe. I used the stock head unit, low pass filter to the amp (only > 100Hz) and full signal to the sub. The sub was instructed to produce only freq's less than 100 Hz. I replaced most of the factory speakers as this was not a Bose system but the base factory speakers which did indeed SUCK.

You can have very good sound in your car. Do note though that the sound system in the car will hit a point of diminishing returns as you're not sitting at home in the still and quiet of your favorite listening room. Road and wind noise will be an issue at 75 MPH. BUT, it will be a great improvement.

Go to your local high end audio shop and take your favorite CD if you want to listen to some great sound. Don't do surround sound, but a great pair of full range speakers or a good speaker with a sub woofer. Then you'll know what good sound is if you don't already know. When you hear good tight bass reponse, you know it, feel it, and experience it. Not to be confused with boomy surround sound, but good tight bass. Mmmmmm. Kind of like good s....... Sorry. I digress.

:cheesy:

Kelvin

·
Registered
473 Posts
i have the _BOSE- companion speakers for my iMac G5, i love it fills the whole house with sound!!!! :) i swear by _BOSE- unless its an Audi A8 with the B&O system!!!! now THATS A FLIPPIN SPEAKER SYSTEM!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts