SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
18x7.5 and 45mm offset. Think 18's might be too big?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
18s will fit but I believe that offset is too high. Others can likely verify though.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The offset is on the limit but I think they will work.
I had the same dimension wheels with 225/40-18 tires and the offset was 43. Just be sure to chech that the wheel or tire does not rub against the suspension in front, otherwise I don't think there will be any problems.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I am debating whether or not to get 18X8 42mm offset or not. Will these fit on a 2-door Viggen with stock suspension? And how will they look..stick out too far?? They are the MSR 044 wheel. Perhaps I would be better off with a 17" wheel though..less weight further out on the wheel. A larger diameter wheel will generally make the car slower, even if it is the same weight, because the weight is further from the center, correct? http://msrwheels.com/auto_car_wheels.cfm?id=282

·
Registered
774 Posts
snowboardin58 said:
I am debating whether or not to get 18X8 42mm offset or not. Will these fit on a 2-door Viggen with stock suspension? And how will they look..stick out too far?? They are the MSR 044 wheel. Perhaps I would be better off with a 17" wheel though..less weight further out on the wheel. A larger diameter wheel will generally make the car slower, even if it is the same weight, because the weight is further from the center, correct? http://msrwheels.com/auto_car_wheels.cfm?id=282
With 225/40-18 tires they will be just about perfect.
Definately won't stick out too far, on the contrary they are going to be pushed quite far in the wheel well.

I ran 7,5*18" ET43 with 225/40-18 tires on the Viggen and they looked like this (stock suspension as well):
http://viggen.1g.fi/kuvat/Viggen/IMG_1063.jpg
A few more poor shots: http://viggen.1g.fi/kuvat/Viggen/
And even more: http://www.netsonic.fi/~rosebla2/

It does not look horrible with stock ride height but I would say it definately looks miles better when the car actually is lowered.

The ones you have looked at are going to stick out 1mm further then the ones on my old car. Also because the wheel itself is 0,5" wider that might fill the arches somewhat better, not a huge difference though.

Anyway, the wheels will be a very good fit and you will not experience any rubbing at all!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
awesome, thanks for the help!! Now my only problem is whether or not the look is worth the sacrafice in ride quality. Also, the 18s will be more susceptable to being bent, exactly the reason I ideally want forged wheels!!! Stronger=better here!! Because roads are amond the worst in the country, might I be OK, or should I think about the 17"??

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
You will quickly bend 18" rims if the roads are bad - 17" won't be imune either as you are only looking at 1/2" more tyre between the road and rim. I ran 18"x8" ET42 and there was no rubbing on lowered springs so at least this won't be an issue. They were awful performance wise though - tramlined like they had a mind of their own, slow to accelerate and brake, kerb damaged easily and had abysmal ride quality. Fitted 16" which are a vast improvement in every area.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I run 19" wheels up here on the crappy roads of Finland and it works just fine. Sure the rides is smoother with 17's but so what :p It's just a matter of getting used to.
Actually the switch from 18's to 19's improved handling and stability, probably mostly because of the worn out 18" rubber, but it still was a pleseant surprise:cool:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm not sure if this is right, but 18" vs 17", with the overall weight being the same to both, the 18's would be a little better for acceleration/deceleration?? My logic is that the tire weighs nearly what the wheel weighs, but in a smaller area, and on the outside of the circle. Am I right, or would the 17" be better? Its either the 25pounds shipped...probably around 18-20pounds per wheel...MSR 044, or the Borbet type FS. Thanks

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Try looking at O.Z. Ultraleggera 18X8s. They only weigh 18 LBs each. You still are pushing the weight out further in the diameter (18) but they are far lighter to begin with.

17s will generally accelerate/decelerate faster because the weight is closer to the center. Closer to the center means spin up/spin down faster. while 18s will handle better due to less tire deflection under load. To feel the effect yourself try doing this:

-Get a length of sturdy rope. First tie a 2 Lb weight on one end. Hold the rope about 2 feet up from the weight and try to get it spinning in a solid circle. Next do the same thing but do it with about 6 feet of rope instead of 2.:cheesy:

None of this is exact science of course; as an 18 Lb 18 inch rim will still do everything better than a 28 Lb 17 inch rim... Less overall weight by that far means less unsprung weight to get moving :cool:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
99Saabnut said:
Try looking at O.Z. Ultraleggera 18X8s. They only weigh 18 LBs each. You still are pushing the weight out further in the diameter (18) but they are far lighter to begin with.

17s will generally accelerate/decelerate faster because the weight is closer to the center. Closer to the center means spin up/spin down faster. while 18s will handle better due to less tire deflection under load. To feel the effect yourself try doing this:

-Get a length of sturdy rope. First tie a 2 Lb weight on one end. Hold the rope about 2 feet up from the weight and try to get it spinning in a solid circle. Next do the same thing but do it with about 6 feet of rope instead of 2.:cheesy:

None of this is exact science of course; as an 18 Lb 18 inch rim will still do everything better than a 28 Lb 17 inch rim... Less overall weight by that far means less unsprung weight to get moving :cool:
Yea I learned about that stuff in physics..and kind of on my own when spinning on an axis and sticking my arms out and then in, ect.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
snowboardin58 said:
I'm not sure if this is right, but 18" vs 17", with the overall weight being the same to both, the 18's would be a little better for acceleration/deceleration?? My logic is that the tire weighs nearly what the wheel weighs, but in a smaller area, and on the outside of the circle. Am I right, or would the 17" be better? Its either the 25pounds shipped...probably around 18-20pounds per wheel...MSR 044, or the Borbet type FS. Thanks
I was just trying to answer your question... ;)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
99Saabnut said:
I was just trying to answer your question... ;)
Oh ha I understand, I wasn't trying to be snappy or anything.

I wonder if I DID get those 18pound OZs that have been recommended, and a 21 pound 18" tire, if that would end up being better than a 22 pound 17" tire on a 24 pound rim. hmm. too bad the money isnt there though!!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
No worries! In that situation, I would guess the O.Z rims would perform as well as the 17s due to the overall unsprung weight; but no way to be certain really.

Best of luck, whichever choice you make!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts