SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think I'm taking the plunge. Been doing some research and working up a deal for a few weeks. After all of the stereo work, buzz fixing attempts and even a BSR upgrade I've got a trade-in deal going with my dealer for a new '05 Cadillac CTS. I guess I'm more prone to luxury ride than sport. The dealer also has an in-house customization/stereo shop that is going to remove my sub I just installed from the Saab and install into the CTS as part of the deal.

I had a CTS loaner for a few days and fell in love with it. Not to say I didn't like the Saab, lets just say it was a sometimes quirky/unique but fun experience.

The forum has been great, Cadillac forums aren't as good but one thing I don't see on those forums is constant complains of cabin buzzing! One thing I don't think I'll ever have to worry about on the Caddy.

Won't finalize until tomorrow as I have one final negotation point to make, so but most likely I'll be driving it by Wednesday or Thursday.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
shanesoft said:
Well I think I'm taking the plunge. Been doing some research and working up a deal for a few weeks. After all of the stereo work, buzz fixing attempts and even a BSR upgrade I've got a trade-in deal going with my dealer for a new '05 Cadillac CTS. I guess I'm more prone to luxury ride than sport. The dealer also has an in-house customization/stereo shop that is going to remove my sub I just installed from the Saab and install into the CTS as part of the deal.

I had a CTS loaner for a few days and fell in love with it. Not to say I didn't like the Saab, lets just say it was a sometimes quirky/unique but fun experience.

The forum has been great, Cadillac forums aren't as good but one thing I don't see on those forums is constant complains of cabin buzzing! One thing I don't think I'll ever have to worry about on the Caddy.

Won't finalize until tomorrow as I have one final negotation point to make, so but most likely I'll be driving it by Wednesday or Thursday.
What about the lack of an aux in, that you mentioned as a reason that you wouldn't switch, in an earlier thread??

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow, Saab to Cadi..., a friend just bought one and he loves the XM, not a bad car for the money, he paid $30 ish and is quite pleased. Having owned an Eldorado Touring Coupe, I can say that the car was fun in the beginning but after 8 months I couldn't wait to unload it. Not sure why....I felt old driving it. Just my two cents. Next year, I'm going to Munich to pick up my Saab replacement, a new 3 series. Life is too short, drive the car that make you happy. Best of luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AUX-in was the only thing that I really had a hard time with parting. But in the end I had to just let it die and hope I like XM. The CTS has a 6-disc changer, but I'll miss having the Ipod connection. Hopefully after they hook up the sub the stereo will sound a little more like I had it in the Saab (but still won't sound as good as those Boston FCX3s in the front for the highs, another slight trade-off).

Oh well... I traded in my Saab integrated keyfob for the regular old Cadillac key today (why doesn't GM use the integrated yet!?) and I'm now the owner of a new CTS (Moonstone, 1SB equipment package, luxury package, auto trans, 3.6L VVT, Bose stereo with XM). My first car of choice? No...my dream car is the new re-designed 3-series but I didn't want to wait and I also didn't want the first model year (nor did I want to get ripped off as it will be in high demand for a while). Probably look into it after 3 years with the CTS.

Its going to take a few days to get used to the new ride (definitly feels different), but I do like it. I'm 25 so I'm sure my friends will be giving me a hard time about getting a "grandpa" car, but reality is this ain't no grandpa's Cadillac (at least not the CTS). I didn't get the CTS-V, but shoot I just couldn't afford that $50k price tag, and the 3.6L in mine is a pretty awesome engine. Flawless transmission shifts and super smooth acceleration.

I'll stick around for a little bit just to give some more reviews after I've driven it for a few days in case anyones interested.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Congratulations

It sounds like a great car. I hope that you have less problems with the Caddy - that Bose stereo sounds great already, I'm sure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Bose system is "ok", but really I think its more of something like GM calling Bose to make cheaper speakers and can use their name to make it sound like its going to be really good. Basically the bose name. I'm hoping the sub will take care of it, but hopefully I'll be able to tweak the highs and make it sound good.

By itself, it doesn't really have anything to brag about. The Acura TL system is pretty amazing, I was really surprised when I heard it. But anyways...stereos can always be fixed (and I have to say much easier in the CTS compared to the 9-3).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to add... GM is definitly on the ball when it comes to TSBs and anything on rattling/buzzing or other problems on the Cadillacs. Check out this list of TSBs for the Cadillac line below and notice a good number of ones relating to rattling/buzzing and actual dealer fixes usually including new/improved parts. This is what the Saab line should have as well, recognized TSBs for this kind of stuff and not just relying on the dealer to say "Well we tried some foam, but otherwise see ya later". I haven't noticed any buzzing/rattling in mine thus far, but its nice to know if I do come across one there would be a good chance of having a TSB on it and having it get fixed for good.

In fact right off the bat I noticed that the XM volume was for some reason lower than the CD/FM volume when I swiched between sources. After dealing with quirky problems on the 9-3, I pretty much tested every possible feature/function and looked for any issues such as this one. I then looked at this list and found the first one listed as it related to that problem. This will be a piece of cake, print the tsb and show it to the service manager and guaranteed this is getting a fixed/replaced radio.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tsb/index.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha, no just the one but we only get snow a few days a year. If I need to go up to Rainier for camping or something I've got friends with Jeeps :).

Besides when it snows here everyone freaks out like its a disaster and most schools and office buildings close. The news covers it like its a big event. Also no one knows how to drive in it anyways, I'd be better just walking outside and taking the city bus.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I noticed in the link above to the Cadillac TSB's that the CTS seems to use the Tech-II computer. Is this the same one as on the 9-3? Is the CTS customizable like the 9-3?

Barry

'04 Nocturne Blue Arc

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct. GM got a lot of stuff from Saab. TechII now used for almost every GM vehicle, air vent design and of course any turbo engineering plus I'm sure there are a lot of other things.

I love the CTS. Not sure on the stereo yet, we'll see. It is actually being replaced under a tsb. Basically all of the CTS Bose XM radio units are defective (software glitches) and need to be replaced or re-programmed at Delphi/Specmo. They currently have 150 units on backorder, so dealer is going to just give me a loaner for a week and rip out the radio and do the send in/get back thing. While they are doing that they are also going to install the sub I had from my trade-in Saab so we'll see how it ends up sounding. I think it will work out good.

You can do all of the personalization options in the car through the display menu rather than having to take it in and have it done via techii (like door locking, alarms, etc etc etc). I like that. All of those settings can be saved under the two memory settings. Your name actually shows up on the display when your key is inserted and all of your stereo settings, seat, mirrors, climate etc all go to your presets.

So I guess some people might say wow its already in the shop but I see this as a positive thing. They recognize they have a problem and got out a tsb quickly. The dealer didn't even need to look at the car, I just gave them the tsb number and they went ahead and got the exchange setup and a loaner for a week while they sit and wait for the repair.
Anyways, so far so good. I'll probably head off to the CTS forums in a bit, but now I don't know that I would have anything to talk about! I don't need a forum if the radio doesn't suck, rattling/buzzing fix questions, etc. Another thing I just found out is that my 05 CTS is the first to have the gen6 onstar unit. This is the dual analog/digital that you can use your Verizon wireless service plan with. I tested it out and it sounds excellent. Voice recognition was right on and sound was clear (probably because it uses digital CDMA by default now). Onstar might actually be useful to me now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I've had the CTS for over a week now and I love it.

Things I miss from the Saab:
Large A/C cooled glove box
Sportiness, firm suspension
Real stepstronic auto transmission
Integrated keyfob

Besides that, I'm used to the new size and feel of the CTS and I can drive it around pretty agressively and zip around corners pretty good. I love the integrated XM, and the dealer is adding my sub in later this week. Also its got the new gen6 onstar so I can integrate my Verizon cell minutes and actually use Onstar as a real integrated car phone (kind of, for outgoing anyways). The new voice recongization software allows you to simply read off the entire number and it will dial it.

Since I came from going insane over the rattling/buzzing of the Saab, I still was obsessed with finding things in the CTS. So far after a week, just one occasionally (like hear it only once in a while) pop sound heard from somewhere around the dash (probably from plastic expanding in heat, etc). I think I can live with that! Everything else is super quiet even going over train tracks.

Well I think I'll be stationed around the Cadillac forums now. I'll keep checking around here if anyone has any questions on the new ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts