SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at a set of B8's for my 08 Aero to run with Eibach springs. I hear that the B8's will have to be modified due to the brake hardware clips being different on the facelifts. Is this true? Or can I get away with using the hardware retainer built into the Bilsteins? Would rather not have to cut them off and void the warranty. I would probably go with something else of this is true. I've heard Koni Yellows are good. Anything besides the Konis out there? Also while I'm posting, figured I'd mention that I got a set of ALU65 18x7.5 wheels on the way, any recommendations for tires with a lowered setup? Also plan on adding 15mm spacers up front and 20mm in the rear at some point. Any thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,615 Posts
Get Koni Yellows with Eibach springs for your Aero. If you want lower then get H&R springs. 15/20 spacers with those wheels will be good, although if you go H&R springs you'll probably want no more than 10mm spacers up front. 235/40/18 tires are what you'll want for stock curb protection. 225/40/18 for a flush look and less curb protection. Let me know if you need help with part numbers, I have everything.

·
Super Moderator
9,615 Posts
Also, B8s are super harsh, you'll hate them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, B8s are super harsh, you'll hate them.
That's dissapointing to hear. That coupled with having to modify the strut to work with 08s and up (I think) is a deal breaker. Another option I was looking into was the Koni Special Actives. I think they are the new name for FSDs which I read were really comfy. It looks like I'd still have to modify as it looks like it has the same built in brake hardware brackets as the bilsteins. I'm definitely interested in comfort more than anything, so I'm also looking at using these with my factory springs. Do you know how the Yellows ride compared to the special actives/FSDs and both compared to stock? I'm also doing full polyurethane bushings and don't want the car to feel 'crashy'. Not totally sure if the yellows on the comfort setting and Eibachs would be as up to the task as the actives with Aero springs in the comfort department. I would imagine that both are much better than stock though.

·
Super Moderator
9,615 Posts
That's dissapointing to hear. That coupled with having to modify the strut to work with 08s and up (I think) is a deal breaker. Another option I was looking into was the Koni Special Actives. I think they are the new name for FSDs which I read were really comfy. It looks like I'd still have to modify as it looks like it has the same built in brake hardware brackets as the bilsteins. I'm definitely interested in comfort more than anything, so I'm also looking at using these with my factory springs. Do you know how the Yellows ride compared to the special actives/FSDs and both compared to stock? I'm also doing full polyurethane bushings and don't want the car to feel 'crashy'. Not totally sure if the yellows on the comfort setting and Eibachs would be as up to the task as the actives with Aero springs in the comfort department. I would imagine that both are much better than stock though.
Don't do poly bushings, stick with stock. They will make a ton of noise and make everything too harsh. You'll thank me later. Special Actives (red ones) are fine too, but you can only pair with Eibach springs or stock springs, nothing lower. Koni Yellows are very comfortable and are great for daily driving. The difference between Koni Yellow/Eibach and SA/stock Aero springs will be very minute. Anything is better than stock shocks/struts, really. Stock springs are fine if you want to stay at stock ride height. Eibach is about a 1 inch drop, H&R and others are closer to 1.5".

Also, you definitely don't need to do any modifying with Konis. You simply swap over the brake line/sensor bracket. Plug and play. Done it many times.

Reactions: danjrowe27

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't do poly bushings, stick with stock. They will make a ton of noise and make everything too harsh. You'll thank me later. Special Actives (red ones) are fine too, but you can only pair with Eibach springs or stock springs, nothing lower. Koni Yellows are very comfortable and are great for daily driving. The difference between Koni Yellow/Eibach and SA/stock Aero springs will be very minute. Anything is better than stock shocks/struts, really. Stock springs are fine if you want to stay at stock ride height. Eibach is about a 1 inch drop, H&R and others are closer to 1.5".

Also, you definitely don't need to do any modifying with Konis. You simply swap over the brake line/sensor bracket. Plug and play. Done it many times.
Awesome info again this is making everything easier on me. It does look like the Special Actives need to be cut like the Bilsteins for 08+ tho. The pictures of them show the built in bracket, plus the Koni catalog only shows them compatible for 03-07. I bet with an edge grinder they'd be fine though haha. Different story for the yellows as I can see they don't have the built in bracket. Not sure if it's worth going SA's and voiding the warranty. I do like how I can pick them up much cheaper and use them with Eibachs. It sounds like it'd be an ideal setup. I'm going to sleep on it. I haven't seen anyone else here running the SA's (if they actually are any different from the FSDs) and would be cool to be a test dummy. As of now it's between those and the yellows, both with eibachs.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,615 Posts
I still don't think you need to cut the brackets off the reds - it looks totally fine to me in the pictures that it would accept all the stuff that needs to clip in.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
The one problem I had with the Koni yellow shocks is that the paint job is awful. In six or seven years on my NG900, the Saab rusted some, but the (purchased new) Koni yellows at the rear wound up looking like something salvaged off a '74 Gremlin that went down with the TItanic. Really disappointing compared to the Koni Classics I had years ago, that lasted ten years and looked mint (paint, Koni decal, and bushings) after all that.

The BIlstein B6 is harsh (I put them on my 9-5). I can't imagine how rough the B8 is. But, BIlstein paint job is reputed to be pretty darn good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to go with the special actives and eibachs. Once everything is on I will update with results. Am I going to need front and rear camber bolts to get everything aligned properly? Anything else I'll need other than the springs and shocks themselves? Thanks again guys

·
Registered
160 Posts
God, you guys talking me out of B8 that I am waiting for PartsforSaab UK to get the B8 in stock. The B8 and Eibach wagon spring (Never find it in USA) combo. Buying from UK may save about $200-$300 along with all the mount, bearing, drop link, and hardware. Even I get the B6, I still need a new spring for it. Seem to me there are two group on member here at Bilstein and Koni Yellow. I wish I found some local owner can give me a ride on how harsh it ride. I always want to sport looking wagon, but I don't mind to give up some comfort. At the same time, I am planning to keep my Saab for another 10 years as daily.

·
Super Moderator
9,615 Posts
htown, I would go for Koni Yellows and Eibachs - you'll be very happy. The Eibach sedan springs will work fine on your combi - just don't load concrete or bricks in the back.

Dan, you shouldn't need camber bolts with the Eibach drop, but if you do, I have some that you can have for free that are pretty new. Front only. Rear camber can be adjusted with factory bolts. There is no adjustment for front camber or caster in the front, only toe.

·
Super Moderator
9,615 Posts
The one problem I had with the Koni yellow shocks is that the paint job is awful. In six or seven years on my NG900, the Saab rusted some, but the (purchased new) Koni yellows at the rear wound up looking like something salvaged off a '74 Gremlin that went down with the TItanic. Really disappointing compared to the Koni Classics I had years ago, that lasted ten years and looked mint (paint, Koni decal, and bushings) after all that.

The BIlstein B6 is harsh (I put them on my 9-5). I can't imagine how rough the B8 is. But, BIlstein paint job is reputed to be pretty darn good.
100% agreed. Paint job on any Koni product is abysmal. It will chip and rust if you look at it wrong. Shame

·
Registered
160 Posts
htown, I would go for Koni Yellows and Eibachs - you'll be very happy. The Eibach sedan springs will work fine on your combi - just don't load concrete or bricks in the back.

Dan, you shouldn't need camber bolts with the Eibach drop, but if you do, I have some that you can have for free that are pretty new. Front only. Rear camber can be adjusted with factory bolts. There is no adjustment for front camber or caster in the front, only toe.
Swedespeed7, Is Koni Yellow better than Sport Active? Both need new Spring, right?

·
Super Moderator
9,615 Posts
Swedespeed7, Is Koni Yellow better than Sport Active? Both need new Spring, right?
Actives can be paired with stock springs no problem. Yellows are better suited to lowering springs. I don't have much experience with the actives, but if they're anything like FSDs then they're a good replacement for stock shocks/struts. If you want to lower the ride, then go with Koni Yellows and your choice of lowering spring. If you want to maintain stock ride height but improve damping and rebound, go with Active reds.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Actives can be paired with stock springs no problem. Yellows are better suited to lowering springs. I don't have much experience with the actives, but if they're anything like FSDs then they're a good replacement for stock shocks/struts. If you want to lower the ride, then go with Koni Yellows and your choice of lowering spring. If you want to maintain stock ride height but improve damping and rebound, go with Active reds.
Ok. My current springs are 9 years old, should I get a new stock Spring with the Sport Active? I live in the Houston, we do have snow here, so I don't have rust problem. I just want to do it right since the whole job maybe $1000 with all the mount and hardware, I dont want to be cheap on extra $200, and redo it.

·
Super Moderator
9,615 Posts
Your springs should be fine to re-use as long as they're not cracked or rusted - they don't typically wear out or sag much. OEM springs are available still though if you really want to be thorough. Definitely do new rear spring rubber isolators and new mounts/bearings up front.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
God, you guys talking me out of B8 that I am waiting for PartsforSaab UK to get the B8 in stock. The B8 and Eibach wagon spring (Never find it in USA) combo. Buying from UK may save about $200-$300 along with all the mount, bearing, drop link, and hardware. Even I get the B6, I still need a new spring for it. Seem to me there are two group on member here at Bilstein and Koni Yellow. I wish I found some local owner can give me a ride on how harsh it ride. I always want to sport looking wagon, but I don't mind to give up some comfort. At the same time, I am planning to keep my Saab for another 10 years as daily.
That's what I'm saying, the kits are way cheaper which was why I was planning to originally go B8. The last thing I need tho is my cabin to rattle like a machine gun.

·
Super Moderator
9,615 Posts
Not only will your interior fall apart, but a ton of stuff will come loose, potentially including sensors, causing electrical issues. Plus your teeth will fall out and you'll need a cane to walk after your spine is destroyed. okay okay, not that bad, but speaking from experience, it will not be fun. I daily drove my car like this for a few years and in the end I'd had enough and went back to stock. Looks great but not practical.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts