SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The blue filter on my optiflow is in pretty bad condition and I'll be cleaning it soon... Word on the street is BSR has halted shipments to GS so in the meantime will any air filter fit onto the BSR optiflow piping?

And what's the best sounding air filter for our cars? (must be conical shaped to match)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
yes almost any cone filter will fit the Opti. the diameter of the tubing is 2.75". best not to use any cone longer than 5.5".

i use an AEM Dryflow (grey media) and very happy with it. not quite as loud as the uber-thin BSR filter, but i sleep better knowing the AEM is filtering 100x better.

the BSR filter is poorly made, and way too thin. a K&N filter is way better in every aspect. Green, AFE, S&B, Amsoil (Injen) all make good filters.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes almost any cone filter will fit the Opti. the diameter of the tubing is 2.75". best not to use any cone longer than 5.5".

i use an AEM Dryflow (grey media) and very happy with it. not quite as loud as the uber-thin BSR filter, but i sleep better knowing the AEM is filtering 100x better.

the BSR filter is poorly made, and way too thin. a K&N filter is way better in every aspect. Green, AFE, S&B, Amsoil (Injen) all make good filters.
Alright thanks! Yeah the Optiflow filter does kind of suck... the rubber mounting point on it is literally the flimsiest thing ever... I just want something durable and equally, if not, louder. :D

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I also use the AEM dryflow, oiled filters can contaminate your MAF eventually, which can be a costly repair if a simple cleaning doesn't do the trick.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm well I'm headed over to the autostore today so I'll see what they have. i just want something that packs a punch. Sure, call me rice, but I love just flooring it and hearing that super-loud intake sound.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Hmm well I'm headed over to the autostore today so I'll see what they have. i just want something that packs a punch. Sure, call me rice, but I love just flooring it and hearing that super-loud intake sound.
if sound is what you are looking for, go for a foam filter like ITG (poopy filtering properties tho). or cotton-gauze like Spectre.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Funny you guys mention the BSR is thinner...I used to have a K&N cone filter on it ghetto style, and when I finally giot a used BSR kit and installed it the "blow off" of the bypass valve seems much louder....glad Im not going crazy.

Sean

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I bought a 2.75'' AEM dryflow off Amazon. Decided that I'd rather not mess with oiled filters (such a PITA) especially as I'm going to college I'm not gonna be oiling in my dorm lol.

·
Registered
91 Posts
first thing i did when I got the Optiflow was order an aem dryflow used it for 3 months, I recently switched it for an amsoil (dry and has a filter in the top, hoping it may take advantage of the stock intake pipe)

·
Registered
622 Posts
first thing i did when I got the Optiflow was order an aem dryflow used it for 3 months, I recently switched it for an amsoil (dry and has a filter in the top, hoping it may take advantage of the stock intake pipe)
It won't be able to do anything with the factory pipe without sucition. If you could create suction by fixing the pipe to the end fo the filter then you may experience a very slight insignificant drop in inlet temps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It won't be able to do anything with the factory pipe without sucition. If you could create suction by fixing the pipe to the end fo the filter then you may experience a very slight insignificant drop in inlet temps.
I figured as much.
I think eventually If i can find a set of dummy fog lights, I may try to rig up a sort of "ram air" inlet using the fog light bezel, like the guys at genuine saab did with the og 9-3. and pipe it up to the stock airbox piping and into the filter area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I figured as much.
I think eventually If i can find a set of dummy fog lights, I may try to rig up a sort of "ram air" inlet using the fog light bezel, like the guys at genuine saab did with the og 9-3. and pipe it up to the stock airbox piping and into the filter area.
or put the stock airbox back in so it's actually drawing air from the outside ;).... but that's no fun

·
Registered
622 Posts
I figured as much.
Dunno how that would affect things.. Usually people say to keep the intake piping to an intercooled turbocharger as short as possible. A lot of this being that just getting more air is more beneficial than a marginally lower inlet temperature. IDK conjunctive really.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I guess I just like fiddling, I have an aftermarket front mount Intercooler, I have yet to data log temp's with it, but you're probably right.

I just need to find things to keep me busy on my days off

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so I ordered the AEM dryflow and it came in and I installed but it's like.... super super snug and wedged in there. I ordered a 5" (which is their standard) and it's only being held on by how tight I screwed the hose clamp. Is this normal for those who also have this filter?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
so I ordered the AEM dryflow and it came in and I installed but it's like.... super super snug and wedged in there. I ordered a 5" (which is their standard) and it's only being held on by how tight I screwed the hose clamp. Is this normal for those who also have this filter?

Ya mine is like that too, snug. I can just run my finger under the filter and the oe intake tubing coming ffrom the fender area.

How big is the flange on your new filter?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya mine is like that too, snug. I can just run my finger under the filter and the oe intake tubing coming ffrom the fender area.

How big is the flange on your new filter?

lol there's a flange on it? I don't see one anywhere..:roll:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
lol there's a flange on it? I don't see one anywhere..:roll:
It's the area where you put the clamp on. I think mine has a 1" flange. How much space is under the filter? Like I said I can run my fingers under the filter and the oe tubing.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's the area where you put the clamp on. I think mine has a 1" flange. How much space is under the filter? Like I said I can run my fingers under the filter and the oe tubing.
oh so the inlet? Not sure how large it is... I'll have to check later. I can't run my finger under it. It bottoms out on the aluminum body/surrounding casing at the bottom of where the stock airbox used to be. Maybe I could trim the inlet a little bit? It is only rubber afterall...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts