SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
would it be possible to put a new aero turbo on my 2003 9-5 linear? ?
Yes, it is very possible to install the TD04 turbo to replace the GT-17 turbo that your linear came with. However, the key is that you need the oil lines from the TD04 - you cannot use the lines from the Garrett. There are quite a few threads on this in the forums. Also, once you install the TD04 you will need to update your ECU to reflect the upgrade in hardware.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
thanks for the reply! are the oil lines hard to get? is it expensive/hard to update my ECU ?
keep a lookout in the for sale section here for them. They turn up every once in awhile. As for the ECU, members here offer tuning for around $150.

This is the easiest way to jump from 185HP right up to 250HP. ;ol;

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
you cannot use the lines from the Garrett. There are quite a few threads on this in the forums. Also, once you install the TD04 you will need to update your ECU to reflect the upgrade in hardware.
I reused my stock oil and coolant lines without any problems, Just nhave to get the proper 12mm banjo bolts with proper sized copper crush washers. No leaks on mine....well I have a leak on my coolant return but thats cause my hose to the throtle body is cracking and I have yet to replace it ;oops:
You can also run a TD04 turbo without updating the ecu, but you will just have more lag and not reap the benefits of a full tune.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my turbo went on my 9-5 linear, so if i order the aero turbo and put it in and tune my ECU along with buying the proper coolant lines and banjo bolts will it give me problems down the line? as far as messing with the engines pressure?? Also is it hard or easy to tune my cars ECU? how do i do that? thanks so much

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
my turbo went on my 9-5 linear, so if i order the aero turbo and put it in and tune my ECU along with buying the proper coolant lines and banjo bolts will it give me problems down the line? as far as messing with the engines pressure?? Also is it hard or easy to tune my cars ECU? how do i do that? thanks so much
Many people have swapped the turbo for the much more reliable td04....I have also done this for my car. Tuning the ecu can be done by one of the many tuners available, some as low as 150 and others much much higher. Not a job for someone just getting into tuning cars, I would leave that up to the many trusted folks around here who have tuned and studied the tuning mods for these cars

·
Registered
726 Posts
As TankTak says, the TD04 is more reliable, though the GT17 can be pretty surprising sometimes (I'm still pushing a stage 1+ tune through a 170k mile old GT17 with only minor smoke on start-up).

I've had this saved as a notepad document for a while now. Its a full laundry list of stuff for the GT17 to TD04 swap, not including the turbo, oil lines, and banjo bolts. Its if you want to go all out and get fresh parts for a fresh turbo, but not necessary. Forget if this from this forum or another, but thanks to whoever the initial author was:

To make the install complete you will need:
1. New Turbo to exhaust manifold gasket
2. New rubber seal (black) from cobra outlet to Turbo inlet.
3. New rubber seal (teal) for the dump valve air inlet to the KC
4. All new copper washers for all banjo bolts. I suggest getting from GS as they are 1/10th the price as getting them from saab.
5. New exhaust lock nuts for the DP and turbo-to-exhaust manifold. I used very nice VW copper exhaust lock nuts (VW Part #: N-902-002-01), At only $1.50 each from VW, they are 1/5th the price as getting from Saab and much nicer as you will see. You will need 7 of these. If you end up needing new Studs, you can use VW part number N-044-411-5 (M8x1.25x35), again 1/5th the price than getting from Saab.
6. 1 new oil filter, 1 drain plug washer, and new oil
7. 1 gallon of Saab coolant and 1 gallon of distilled water.
8. New oil drain neck-to-Turbo gasket (Saab Part #: 90-490-305 - $2.19)

·
Registered
776 Posts
TD04 version?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - but what version of the TD04 can be used on different MY 9-5s? I have a 2003 Linear and am thinking about upgrading. I see there's a 14T, 15T, 16T, 18T...will any of them work?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
They can be built in lots of different configurations. The most important things to make sure of is that the compressor housing has the correct flange to bolt up to your cobra pipe, and that the turbine housing has the correct flange to bolt up to your down pipe. Other than that, all TD04's are basically the same. Bigger number, bigger compressor wheel, pushes more air.

If you are just looking to keep things simple, find a 15T meant for a 9-5 or 9-3.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
It "should" but who knows until you try and install it. The ad doesn't give a lot of info...

I personally wouldn't buy a cheap knockoff 19t, and I wouldn't waste the $ on the "upgrade" unless it has at least the 6cm turbine housing. And for that matter, don't bother with the aftermarket cobra pipes, just get a TD04 meant for an 06+ 9-5. It will have the shorter flange on the compressor housing that will allow you to run the later style "king cobra" pipe. It's even larger/better than all of the aftermarket cobra pipes out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts