SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to work, I noticed a 9-3 approaching in the rear view mirror (or at least I thought it was a 9-3). Then I noticed it had a scoop in the hood!

Finally I noticed it was a station wagon- so I guess its a 9-2x.

So I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I don't suppose the 9-2x hood would fit on a 9-3 (probably smaller, right)... Too bad Saab didn't put the scoop on the 9-3 Aero as well- it has a nice look.

·
Registered
691 Posts
already talk before... but from my memories yes its fit

I was considering to do this.. but at the same time... i like the 9-3 look... with the scoop it will be more like wanabe subaru ...

But im sure its will look nice too

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
already talk before... but from my memories yes its fit

I was considering to do this.. but at the same time... i like the 9-3 look... with the scoop it will be more like wanabe subaru ...

But im sure its will look nice too
no it does not fit. the shapes are totally different, with different washer jets and everything. subies need it cause they have tmic.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link- I did try to search for "9-2x" and "hood," but nothing came up... should have tried harder.

I also didn't realize the scoop was completely non-functional. The fake scoop on the Mustang drives me crazy. My boss owns a Subaru WRX, and the scoop is functional (its a bit too "boxy" for my taste, but it is functional).

Just thought it would look good and possibly throw some additional cool air into the engine bay- gets pretty warm under there with the turbo!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Please don't put that on your car. On cars like the Mustang the hood scoop is there as a kind of hold over from the old days when cars had carbs. Now days with fuel injection and the way the intakes are set up, hood scoops are not needed (unless for a TMIC like the Subaru's). The non-funtional thing does not bother me so much, but the part has to "fit" the car. Hood scoops IMO don't fit most Euro cars that well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The 92X hood is functional. Do you guys not realize that the 92X is an impreza? It's exactly the same car, it's even built in Japan. All the components are interchangeable with a standard Impreza. I've even seen Suby wagon's converted with SAAB parts. Pointless, I know. It only looks slightly better than a WRX, but it's still ugly as hell.

Anyways, a hood scoop would be pointless unless you wanted to flow some air to cool the turbo or intake. In that case you should use small vents on either side of the hood.

Bry

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes I am aware of that.
That was not really directed at you. There just seems to be debate as to whether or not a 92X hood would fit a 93. That should be obvious since a 92X is in fact an impreza. So basically, it would be like asking if a WRX hood would fit our saabs. Reguardless, we all know the answer.

It would be pointless to modify the hood to fit, why not just slap on a hood scoop to our current 93's hood? I ran a functional hood scoop on my Volvo 850 for quite some time. The volvo's had reverse heads and the turbo mounted at the back cause massive heat issues, especially when running at 21PSI of boost. In my case, the car would not run without it, so a scoop/vent was mandatory.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know it was not really directed at me :D. One should be able to tell just by looking at the two hoods in pictures that it will not fit. The curve of leading edge is not even close.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One should be able to tell just by looking at the two hoods in pictures that it will not fit. The curve of leading edge is not even close.
Well, I suppose I just do not possess the same level of visual discernment... :)cool: <-- me wearing my Ray Charles blinders). All I saw was a car with a front end that looked a lot like mine with an interesting looking hood. Thanks for the info.

As for the look of the hood, since it is functional and doesn't have the silly black insert (like the Mustang's), I don't think it would be an aesthetic tragedy to put a scoop on a 9-3- but since I drive a V6, I've apparently already established that I'm not a "true Saab owner" (to read some of the threads around here :^).

As it is, I'm not gagging for the look to the point that I would modify a hood- I was just curious. Next time, I'll spend more time searching for previous threads so as not to cause such discomfort to fellow posters! ;)

PS- Other than seeing the 9-2x forum on this site, I had no previous knowledge of that model, so I didn't realize Saab featured a Subaru in its line-up! I've learned my new thing for the day! The WRX is a pretty zippy machine (as I mentioned, my boss has one and drives it like he's on the rally tour :^).

·
Registered
2,716 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
One should be able to tell just by looking at the two hoods in pictures that it will not fit. The curve of leading edge is not even close.
Well, I suppose I just do not possess the same level of visual discernment... :)cool: <-- me wearing my Ray Charles blinders). All I saw was a car with a front end that looked a lot like mine with an interesting looking hood. Thanks for the info.

As for the look of the hood, since it is functional and doesn't have the silly black insert (like the Mustang's), I don't think it would be an aesthetic tragedy to put a scoop on a 9-3- but since I drive a V6, I've apparently already established that I'm not a "true Saab owner" (to read some of the threads around here :^).

As it is, I'm not gagging for the look to the point that I would modify a hood- I was just curious. Next time, I'll spend more time searching for previous threads so as not to cause such discomfort to fellow posters! ;)

PS- Other than seeing the 9-2x forum on this site, I had no previous knowledge of that model, so I didn't realize Saab featured a Subaru in its line-up! I've learned my new thing for the day! The WRX is a pretty zippy machine (as I mentioned, my boss has one and drives it like he's on the rally tour :^).
Wow, sorry man, I meant no offence. I drive a V6 too and I feel it is is just as much Saab as my old 900 SPG. On the hood scoop thing, to each his own, but IMO just because it is "functional" does not mean it will really do anything. I would be wary about rain water dripping on that hot turbo.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Wow, sorry man, I meant no offence. I drive a V6 too and I feel it is is just as much Saab as my old 900 SPG. On the hood scoop thing, to each his own, but IMO just because it is "functional" does not mean it will really do anything. I would be wary about rain water dripping on that hot turbo.
it would have no affect our turbo is cast iron it would just sizzle off. you should be more concened about getting water in the intake.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, sorry man, I meant no offense.
No offense taken- I was just noting that yeah, the differences are pretty apparent when you look at two pictures side by side and study them... I just didn't notice them during the drive-by! I'm new to the Saab world, so I learn something new everyday.

Tough to tell from the pics that were posted on the 9-3 with the scoop, because some other stuff had been done to that car that I probably wouldn't have done (guess its like the highway- everyone driving slower than you is a slowpoke and everyone driving faster is an idiot :^).

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hood scoop!

Any kind of ventilation for the engine to disappate heat will be functional. Plus I like the look too.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Any kind of ventilation for the engine to disappate heat will be functional. Plus I like the look too.
Will yeah it will be functional but that doesn't mean you'd really gain anything. A scoop will force air inside the bay which is good and all but depending on the outdoor temp it could be hot, warm, or cool air. For a tmic the scoop is great. For ours car I would go with some negative pressure vents instead. I was going to make a custom hood with some but I've decided I don't feel like the effort ha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts