SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I got to drive my Saab for real the first time today (like a couple miles) and I have noticed something peculiar. The gear ratios seem to be rather strange.
1st gear gets you to about 6 MPH, which is normal
2nd gear gets to about 17MPH, normal
3rd gear gets to about 24MPH, pretty short...
4th gear gets to about 33MPH, seems like I'm in 4th gear for about 3 seconds
5th gear gets everything else.

My dad agrees with me in the aspect as well. I'm wondering if that's why Saabs get such good gas mileage, becuase your practically always in 5th gear. I know theres nothing wrong with it, I'd just like to know what you guys think about this; or maybe I'll totally off. Only other standard I've driven was trucks...

Tom =]

·
Registered
803 Posts
It's an N/A car, right? They've got shorter gearing in order to better get things moving because of the lower torque compared to the turbo cars.
Don't feel bad though, it still makes more torque than all but the most highly tuned Hondas.:lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are you talking about when the shift light comes on?

If so, it comes on as soon as it can to help save gas (although its not ALWAYS necessarily the most efficient point to shift, like if you are just abut to approach a hill at 35mph).

In reality not that many cars even have upshift lights, so I'm not sure what the norm is. I will say that with lots of low end grunt, my Saab can always travel along at lower revs and a higher gear than my Miata (which is geared a LOT tighter and lower, giving higher revs on the interstate). And it definitely helps on highway mileage having such a tall top gear.

·
Registered
713 Posts
thts odd cuz my car is like 1st-10 2nd-25 3-45 4-55 5-everything else, and thats shifting 3500-4k

·
Registered
41 Posts
t_buck09 said:
thts odd cuz my car is like 1st-10 2nd-25 3-45 4-55 5-everything else, and thats shifting 3500-4k
Yeah, but shifting that late is A) not so good for gas mileage and B) WAY above where the shift light suggests (if you have one). If you follow the shift light, you will end up shifting before 2500 rpm all the time. Heck, shifting into fifth at 35mph puts you almost at idle in my 9-3!

·
Registered
713 Posts
saabiturbo said:
Yeah, but shifting that late is A) not so good for gas mileage and B) WAY above where the shift light suggests (if you have one). If you follow the shift light, you will end up shifting before 2500 rpm all the time. Heck, shifting into fifth at 35mph puts you almost at idle in my 9-3!
i disabled my shift light, and with shifing at those rpm im gettin 28-29 mpg constantly, so im not gunna complain.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Most cars you have to go with your gut.

1 it depends where you live. Like I live in the mountains so Gears tend to be high to give power. 20mpg per hour is fine.

2 Low lands aka flat lands. I tend to get 23 mph gal is fine at 80 mph.

3 Down hill I tend to get 25 mph per gal.

If you change gears where I live going by a light censer. I would be in Granny zone.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
t_buck09 said:
You have a V6 right? They are the lowest geared in the new 900 range and ironically the second most economic on fuel.

·
Registered
713 Posts
ragtopcav said:
You have a V6 right? They are the lowest geared in the new 900 range and ironically the second most economic on fuel.
yea i own the v6, thats odd, seeing it has 2 more cylenders to fuel

·
Registered
334 Posts
those numbers better be when a shift light tells you you should shift for better economy, my numbers are as follows:

1st - 30
2nd - 60
3rd - 90
4th - 120ish
5th - gear limited at the mid 160 range

seems rather......odd that the gears are spaced 30 mph apart almost exact, IMO 1st should end at like 36 and 3rd - 5th should be ever so slightly taller.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OddyseusDSM said:
those numbers better be when a shift light tells you you should shift for better economy, my numbers are as follows:

1st - 30
2nd - 60
3rd - 90
4th - 120ish
5th - gear limited at the mid 160 range

seems rather......odd that the gears are spaced 30 mph apart almost exact, IMO 1st should end at like 36 and 3rd - 5th should be ever so slightly taller.

and sir what kind of gas mileage do you get? :eek:

·
Registered
713 Posts
if i run it to redline i get 58 in 2nd in my v6

·
Registered
30 Posts
t_buck09 said:
yea i own the v6, thats odd, seeing it has 2 more cylenders to fuel
Even though this is a bit of an oversimplification, the number of cylinders in an engine doesn't have as much to do with fuel consumption as you might think. Take for example, the 2.5L turbocharged boxer in an STI. The EPA estimated mileage for that is 16/22, far below the mileage a 2.5L V6 like that found in a Saab can get, and about on par with the 4.6L V8 in a Mustang (15/23 - EPA estimates).

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Top speed on my V6 was 146mph, that was redlined. And it was off road too [nice long straight at an airfield]

·
Registered
713 Posts
my spedo read 138 at redline

1 - 20 of 21 Posts