SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to explain this as briefly as possible.

Saab 9-5, V-6 Turbo with 166,860 miles

Alternator went bad, had to jump it a few times then water pump started leaking so I parked it for a few weeks. Had the alternator replaced, replaced the water pump (and timing belt since it was only 14,000 mile from being due). I replaced the battery and life was good... well sorta...

The car, my baby!!! will drive along just purring away when all of a sudden the warning light (red triangle) comes on along with the brake light, the ABS light and the TCS off light and the speedo quits working. All other gauges are within norm. I can drive for a while, might be 5 minutes or 4 hours and then lights all go off and and the speedo starts working again.

I'm guessing some sort of limp home mode...

If I park the car with all the warning lights on and let it sit over night the warning lights are still on the next morning when the engine is cold but they do go off pretty quickly. While the engine is at operating temperature (OT) I can shut off the engine, and restart and it not clear the lights but like I said I could drive for 5 minutes or two hours and they just go off.

I have checked the fluid levels in the resevoir and it always appears at the right level. One time it looked a little low and I started to loosen the cap (slowly as the egine was at OT and as I let some of the pressure off the fluid level rose up in the tank (as one would expect) but then the blinky lights went off. So now, when the blinky lights come on, if it annoys me enough I will let some pressure out and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This could VERY well be my imagination!!! :roll:

After a 3 days of this behavior I decided to stop by my parts store and have the codes read while the blinky lights were on and, of course, they went out just about a mile from the store!:confused:

I decided to get the codes read anyways and here's the LONG list:

P1260 Manufact Contrl - Fuel Air Meetering
P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction
P1625 Manufact Contrl - Auxiliary Inputs, Auxiliary Outputs
P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0300 Random/Multiple cylinder Misfire Detected

P0420 I know about, I had a defective Catalytic Converter and had it replaced at a shop the dealer sent me to and I took it back to the dealer and they told me (I swear to God) just ignore the check engine light the converter is working fine!

Otherwise all other maintenance has been done on schedule but I know it needs a new air filter (we go through them fast down here with the sticky salt air).

Any ideas gents?

Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
ppetree said:
all of a sudden the warning light (red triangle) comes on along with the brake light, the ABS light and the TCS off light and the speedo quits working. Phil
ABS sensor/unit fault - becoming quite common lately :confused:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
ABS sensor/unit fault - becoming quite common lately :confused:
Seems to be happening everywhere, my buddy's Audi's died and another buddy's Ford. All Bosch ABS modules...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That doesn't make sense... But then... the mechanic did have to remove the right front axel to replace the alternator so maybe we have a loose connection there...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts