Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys

i recently fitted a aftermarket induction kit onto my 2.3 T and since it has a lot more wastegate chatter and turbo whistle

but it also makes a wierd induction noise normally at half throttle between 2-3k revs , it sounds like a "bull being grabbed by the horns and pulled" its just a droning kind of noise

has anyone else experienced this???

the engine runs fine it just makes this odd sound, if others peoples cars do it then it doesnt bother me but i think the size of the filter may be causing this. it is a large K&N off of a RS turbo, modded to fit the 3" inlet on the saab

thanks in advance

Jim

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I have search for a "bull to pull" and cant replicate that noise :cheesy:

Mine has a huge N&N and is very noisey, wife thinks it sounds like a tractor, kids think it sounds like the air brakes on a bus when the pressure is dumped!

Maybe they get quieter whn the filter gets a little dirty? :confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its not an induction "roar" like i have had on other cars though, its a "echoing" noise through the intake pipe by the sounds of it,

its also starting to stall if i brake quite hard with the clutch in when im in traffic so i am thinking of taking it off again

if the filter is too big would this cause too much air to be going into the engine

i drilled holes in the standard airbox before i fitted the air filter and it made this noise but not HALF as loud and intrusive

thanks for the reply :)

Jim

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
JimR5 said:
its not an induction "roar" like i have had on other cars though, its a "echoing" noise through the intake pipe by the sounds of it,

its also starting to stall if i brake quite hard with the clutch in when im in traffic so i am thinking of taking it off again

if the filter is too big would this cause too much air to be going into the engine
I doubt that's possible, seeing as you're still pulling air through the turbo. The stock intake is designed to muffle an undesirable noises, maybe you are just getting an echo. Could you maybe record the noise?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i could do , i will have a go tommorow and see how i get on , its also stalling now when ever i accelerate quite hard and then push in the clutch (coming up to a junction etc), it didnt do it before i fitted the filter so it isnt helping it much :(

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Does like a loud FMMMMMMM noise, almost like a vibration. Cause my car has been doing that to, but no trouble accelerating or anything.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Jim this doesnt make sense, are you sure there are no vacuum pipes off, perhaps dislodged when the filter was fitted? :confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i cant see any that have come off but the stalling problem still persists, i have posted a thread about it,

the horrible noise irrated the hell out of me anyway

the wierd thing is it only stalls if i accerlate hard then push in the clutch and let the revs die right down

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Jim I'll close this thread as we are now trying to solve this in the 9-5 workshop ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.