SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 1999 9-3 Convertible base model. With the 15” Saab wheels. It’s going to need tires when I get it out this spring and I’ve been doing some shopping. The tires on it now are a 195-60-15. They look kind of dorky and skinny. Wondering if anyone has put a wider tire on a similar wheel and if so what size? These would only need to be a “summer” tire as I store it in the Michigan winters. Current tires are 12years old but only have 10,000miles on them. Let me know! Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Sounds like new tires are on your list one way or another.

Michelin Premiar A/S work well in 195/60-15 size.

Unfortunately even 205/55-15 are a bit too short and not that much wider.

Sets of Saab OEM 16" rims are for sale everywhere and reasonably cheap. Anything from an NG900, OG9-3, or 1999-2009 9-5 will fit your car. Then you could go with the 205/50-16 or 205/55-16.

Even rims from the later 9-3s (2003, 2004 for convertibles) will fit, but the offset is different. Probably not critical.

Note, many of the used sets of rims have one or more bent rims. I would inspect carefully, including spinning them up on the back of your car, before accepting them. It seems that two are good, one is so-so, and one has a big dent. You may never get a smooth-riding car if the rim is bent.

On the third hand, the 15" rims rarely bend. If you have a smooth ride right now, put on the Michelins and drive in comfort, if not style.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d love to upgrade to a set of larger diameter Saab wheels, something in the 17-18” size. Problem is finding some in decent condition. Michigan weather/roads is harsh on wheels. I have access to Keystone aftermarket factory wheels at cost, but their inventory is dwindling. This car won’t be out until at least late March, so I’ve got some time. Might be one of those things where I find the wheels and then get tires once it’s ready to drive again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts