SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a wideband A/F meter, but I'm lost in the sauce here. I see all these kits that require other components. I'm looking for a few choices for a simple kit, or parts put together to form a kit. Any suggestions or personal experiences?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input so far guys. I'm thinking ahead here for a Jan/Feb install, and would like to keep this as idiot-proof as possible. :p

·
Registered
165 Posts
I recommend VEMS Round WB02 and EGT display, installation was really simple, all connectors & such are included. It's a bit cheaper than Innovate and has the possibility of measuring exhaust gas temperature (with separate sensor), you can also connect it to a laptop and take log of your afr (which should make you hit with the babes) :) I also like the look. :cool:

http://shop.vems.hu/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=101

I also thought of JAW, but the VEMS seemed safer choise even with the price difference in mind.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
249 Euros = $470

:eek::eek::eek:

So far I have seen many different units, but the most was mid $300's. Its rediculous how much people charge. That guy that dlb showed me a few posts back makes exactly what I'd need, and doesn't seem to want to rape anyone's wallet in the process.

This isn't gonna happen for a bit, so I've got some time to get everything in order.....

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jokke A said:
249,7 € = 368,18265 US$

you're right, my bad. ;)

That's still a lot for something that tells you you're A/F ratio.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I'm here...

How far should the O2 sensor be from the turbo. On my ford swinggate the bung (hole) is about 3 inches down the length. Is that too close? Its a stock location so I can't imagine it would be too bad.

See the hole on top.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
DanF. said:
Since I'm here...

How far should the O2 sensor be from the turbo. On my ford swinggate the bung (hole) is about 3 inches down the length. Is that too close? Its a stock location so I can't imagine it would be too bad.

See the hole on top.

Way too close. Wideband is much more sensitive than a narrowband and heat effects it greatly. Once it heats up too much you won't get any readings.

Further down the DP is better. Also, you should still be using the stock narrowband on your car in the stock location. The wideband *can* be used in place of the narrowband but there are questions as to reliability, etc that haven't been fleshed out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
ive got th zeitronix unit - ive checked it against the dedicated motec and autronic units - its slightly slower but gives identical reading!

i would def recommend it

rob

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
K.I.S.S. (acronym) - keep it simple, Stupid

i'm scared that i'll get somehting that's have more capability than apollo 11, which is to say i just want a gadget that tells me what A:F I'm running.

apparently that is too much for many of these manufacturers... they must have been born years after LH 2.2 was invented.

·
Registered
114 Posts
yes my Innovate LC1 has actually been close to useless really as the sensor seems pretty temperamental as to when it will actually put out any readings - often just at the time when you need it most (way too rich or way too lean). There is no substitute that I am aware of that takes the place of a decent gas analyser at the local garage - if anyone knows of one under $700 please let me know!

·
Registered
310 Posts
i purchased this kit from GS, though have yet to install it - mostly because i know not whether i can tie it into LH 2.4 or not. i had not personally heard of any problems related to reliability with using a wideband in place of the narrow. thanks for the tip IronJoe, i guess i will be plugging in both - after i redo my HG, relocate the battery and install my 3" DP

reading now that it "has actually been close to useless" makes me wonder. on another board, i have heard exactly the opposite, that it was very reliable and a great choice.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Hmmm, complain to innovate if you've installed it correctly, they will help you. I have never had problems with them...
Daniel.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
IronJoe said:
Further down the DP is better. Also, you should still be using the stock narrowband on your car in the stock location. The wideband *can* be used in place of the narrowband but there are questions as to reliability, etc that haven't been fleshed out.
I have an innovate kit with a proper gauge and it is great. I had trouble with it not giving proper readings for a while but found that was due to a dodgy connection.

generally you want the wideband as far away as you can get. On my landrover i have it on the rear silencer and it is quite happy.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
nigelgrn said:
yes my Innovate LC1 has actually been close to useless really as the sensor seems pretty temperamental as to when it will actually put out any readings - often just at the time when you need it most (way too rich or way too lean). There is no substitute that I am aware of that takes the place of a decent gas analyser at the local garage - if anyone knows of one under $700 please let me know!
That is strange, have you calibrated it? Is it all wired up correctly, good ground points, sharing any ground points? There is a couple of the sensor wires that should not share the same ground.

I have had the innovate lc1 for 2 years and it has worked great for me in many applications and has saved my car more than once because of bad/weak fuel pumps. I have had great luck with my system while tunning to over 400bhp.

I also had it tested by comparison to the wide-band at the dyno shop and it was pretty darn close. My Lc1 sensor is pre-cat and the dyno shop reads post cat, and the difference was shown to be a little richer before the cat, just as it should be!

John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts